1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not a happy P7 owner

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Audionyx, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Audionyx

Audionyx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I can't believe this!

It took 3 P7's initially to get one working properly and now after a year's ownership it has just given up.

Was sat watching TV, volume very low -35db on the AV8 when suddenly I heard frantic clicking as all the channels shut down! Tried to restart the amp after a minute but no joy. This is not funny :(

2. Audionyx

Audionyx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Had a read of the owner's manual. When I turn the amp back on, all LEDs stay red. After about 15 seconds, channel 7 flashes green suggesting DC offset present. This is strange as nothing is connected to that module.

Any ideas chaps before I call it in as broken?

3. Audionyx

Audionyx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hmm, took the amp out of the rack and worked some voodoo magic on it and magically all seems to work again. Hope that the fault does not reoccur again.

Also hoping one of the Arcam tech guys could chime in and shed some light on the possible cause?

4. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Sounds to me like some sort of electrical or connections problem. Very unlikely to have 3 P7s faulty without ther being a problems elsewhere ie. with your connections or the mains itself.

5. Audionyx

Audionyx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Crusty,

The first P7 was courier damaged - arrggh!
    The second P7 had transformer hum and one module got very hot despite nothing connected. Eventually the channel shut down
    The third P7 (current) has worked superbly until yesterday. Since then it has worked perfectly again - had it running for 6 hours after the fault at a wide range of output.

I have scope tested the mains and it falls within tolerance with no abnormal voltages present. I have also used a number of 'mains' cleaners with little effect on sound quality. Currently use a simple surge protection strip for my kit.

Can only think that over time a charge has built up in that module registering a DC offset fault. Time will tell....

EDIT : just turned the amp on for the day and all is still perfect - ghost in the machine!

6. davesater1

davesater1
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My P7 is at Arcam as we speak to be repaired. The centre channel shut down and the l.e.d. would flash amber (protection mode). Thankfully I registered the P7 with Arcam as it was outwith the two year warranty (registering gives you five years). I must say that the guys at Arcam were very helpful (Mike Cox) and hopefully it will be back with me soon.

7. Ambo

Ambo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Darren - are you using the 12V trigger between the AV8 and P7 to switch on/off with the remote? Just wondered as you may be building up static charge in the P7 by turning on manually each time. I use the 12V trigger and it works a treat! :smashin:

8. Audionyx

Audionyx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Ambo - good suggestion as I don't in fact use the trigger. The amp was on all day yesterday without problem. May try the trigger for convenience!

9. Ambo

Ambo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Will take you 1 minute to fit and the 3.5mm to 3.5mm lead will cost you less than a fiver. I seem to recall there is something in the AV8/P7 manuals about the order you turn the P7 on and off and the 12V trigger obviously does it automatically. :thumbsup: