Not 4 ohm stable?

cribeiro

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi again!

This time is a technical question... Somebody told me that I should buy the Yamaha 630 because the Harman-Kardon and MArantz are not 4 ohm stable... Does anybody know what is meant by this?

They are suggesting that those amps might have trouble driving speakers with a 4 ohm rating. I would include the Yamaha as well. You´re probably better using speakers with a 6 or 8 ohm rating.

Ok, thanks... So it is true... But he said that the Yamaha's do not have that problem...
About the speakers, they are 4-8 ohm, as stated in the specifications. Would it be a problem?
Thanks for the answer!

Even speakers rated at 8 ohms can dip to 4 ohms or less. I would say that all those amps (including the Yamaha) might have problems driving a full set of 4 ohm rated speakers so you are better off matching them with speakers rated at 6 or 8 ohms.

What is the impedance rating of your current speakers? (magnat?)

I see... I still have a lot to learn! Well, my speakers say 4-8 ohms, whatever it means. Ok, I know what it means, I am a physicist after all... But my specialization is Particle and Nuclear Theoretical Physics, not Electronics...

blimey, if the physicist don't get it, what chance do we mortals have?!:D

BTW, cribeiro, no disrespect, just jokin!

Ok, no problem!
BTW, I will soon buy... One guy told me that for my speakers, the lower models from Yamaha are more than enough, that I will not notice any improvement if I move uup to the 630, so I think I will give up and save money, specially because I have found the 530 at the price of the 430!
I had in mind that I may upgrade speakers after some time, but I think that it will be so late that even the Yam 630 will be old, lacking specs...
Thank you Jase!

...that I should buy the Yamaha 630 because the Harman-Kardon and Marantz are not 4 ohm stable...

This is probably a reference to the 8phm/4ohm switch on the back of most Yamaha receivers. This isn't necessarily an indication of the Yamaha's power reserves, indeed possibly the opposite. Of the manufacturers you mention, I would have thought that Harman/Kardon would most easily drive more tricky speakers. Regarding your "final thoughts link", however, it is your decision and you should stick with it!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom