Quantcast

Not 4 ohm stable?

cribeiro

Novice Member
Hi again!

This time is a technical question... Somebody told me that I should buy the Yamaha 630 because the Harman-Kardon and MArantz are not 4 ohm stable... Does anybody know what is meant by this?

Jase

Distinguished Member
They are suggesting that those amps might have trouble driving speakers with a 4 ohm rating. I would include the Yamaha as well. You´re probably better using speakers with a 6 or 8 ohm rating.

cribeiro

Novice Member
Ok, thanks... So it is true... But he said that the Yamaha's do not have that problem...
About the speakers, they are 4-8 ohm, as stated in the specifications. Would it be a problem?
Thanks for the answer!

Jase

Distinguished Member
Even speakers rated at 8 ohms can dip to 4 ohms or less. I would say that all those amps (including the Yamaha) might have problems driving a full set of 4 ohm rated speakers so you are better off matching them with speakers rated at 6 or 8 ohms.

What is the impedance rating of your current speakers? (magnat?)

cribeiro

Novice Member
I see... I still have a lot to learn! Well, my speakers say 4-8 ohms, whatever it means. Ok, I know what it means, I am a physicist after all... But my specialization is Particle and Nuclear Theoretical Physics, not Electronics...

dts_boy

blimey, if the physicist don't get it, what chance do we mortals have?!:D

BTW, cribeiro, no disrespect, just jokin!

cribeiro

Novice Member
Ok, no problem!
BTW, I will soon buy... One guy told me that for my speakers, the lower models from Yamaha are more than enough, that I will not notice any improvement if I move uup to the 630, so I think I will give up and save money, specially because I have found the 530 at the price of the 430!
I had in mind that I may upgrade speakers after some time, but I think that it will be so late that even the Yam 630 will be old, lacking specs...
Thank you Jase!

russraff

...that I should buy the Yamaha 630 because the Harman-Kardon and Marantz are not 4 ohm stable...
This is probably a reference to the 8phm/4ohm switch on the back of most Yamaha receivers. This isn't necessarily an indication of the Yamaha's power reserves, indeed possibly the opposite. Of the manufacturers you mention, I would have thought that Harman/Kardon would most easily drive more tricky speakers. Regarding your "final thoughts link", however, it is your decision and you should stick with it!