1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nos Dac

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by GW43, Sep 9, 2005.

1. GW43

GW43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Read a lot about these on here, seems to be an almost universal thumbs-up. However, Google does not seem to be able to point me in the direction of where these are available.

Can anyone help?

2. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    For sale mainly on Ebay. Try googling for TDA 1543 or TDA 1545 this is often the DAC of choice for the NOSDAC. Worth also looking at http://www.sakurasystems.com/ this the company that first developed the idea.

3. RobsterD

RobsterD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    One of the originals is on eBay now item : 5806773948.I'll be taking delivery of the same DAC but with the upgraded PSU,looking forward to seeing how much improvement it brings to my RME soundcard
    Also have a look at Scott Nixon and Red Wine Audio these are a little more expensive,the above has gotta be worth a punt tho.
    Rob.

4. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    The redwineaudio one seems to love blackgate caps. These do not get the best out of the 1545a. They're OK for PSU but should be kept a long way from the signal path....
    Trouble is with all of them is they look very home made.

5. GW43

GW43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
  6. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Noticed he slated the sales/marketing pitch but didn't really dig at the sound of the amps..... Wise man.
    Basically if you want to buy some nice sounding amps the gaincards are excellent. Yes it only has nine components and one of the shortest signal paths in the world. To me (having heard them) It's a pretty good thing. If you're sensible and want to build some very nice sounding amps you can do so for peanuts using variations on the gaincard. Inverted 'Gainclones' sound stunning. Put most £2000 + power amps to shame.
    Same goes for the NOSDAC if you buy one off the shelf from 47labs you'll pay a lot for it. They did develop it after all. But you can build one or buy ready made for about £150. Bolt it to a good transport and you've suddenly got a very nice front end for not much money.

7. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Been looking into this NOS DAC business recently as I'm thinking of putting this as an internal option on my modified Marantz CD80 player. I will have a couple of spare connectors and can put it straight into the 12S lines so I can run it alongside the 1541A chipset.

I notice that there are several implementations of this circuit, some use up to eight 1543, theres a guy selling a couple of DIY boards on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KUSUNOKI-STYL...5809532088QQcategoryZ3272QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

anyone got any comments on the Kusunoki implementation ?

8. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    The only problem with all the 1543's is the slightly muddy bass response. Managed to get round to a degree by ditching black gate caps from everywhere except the power supply. and putting 2 very nice teflon V-Caps in the output stage. Not cheap but a massive improvement.
    I've tried the 4, 8 and 1 chip variety of the 1543. 1 in my mind gives the cleanest sound. The 1545 is a better sounding chip again but is more difficult to get right. Still struggling in fact....
    The circuit itself is dead simple. I have a couple based on the single 1543 chipset which you are welcome to if you want.

9. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Knightshade,

thanks for the reply and the offer of the DACs. I might take you up on that once I have got used to the sound of the modified CDP with the 1541A chip.