Norton Cloud backup - help required.

unbearable bob

Standard Member
Hi all.
Hope this is the right place to post this question.
I bought an Acer gaming PC for my son last year, & in June I subscribed to Norton 360 Deluxe for 12 months. My problem is this:
He is getting constant messages from Norton on his PC that he is low on cloud backup storage, & has about 500MB left from 50GB of cloud storage included in the plan. Bearing in mind that I know very little about computers, will the 50GB be enough cloud storage for his needs? Is it feasible that he's used the whole 50GB storage in the 6 months since subscribing to Norton? He uses the PC almost exclusively just to play Fortnite & Rocket League. And very occasionally to do some school work 🙄. I think he has quite a few files of 100MB+ that contain clips of his gaming, & that may possibly be why he is running low on storage.
I could do with knowing how to access his backup(s),or if indeed there will be more than 1? I'm hoping to find a few older backups that can possibly be deleted to free up space? But due to my lack of PC knowledge, an idiot guide would be much appreciated. I'm very concerned about deleting the wrong thing, & potentially losing some files forever. I have tried searching for solutions online, but don't find Norton to be very helpful in that regard, & have also looked into buying more storage, if that would solve the problem, but have read that extra storage can't be bought as a Norton 360 subscriber,only by subscribing to a pricier package?
When I sign in to the Norton website (on my phone), my profile says that I have Norton 360 Deluxe, shows an activation key containing about 20 characters,that I am almost certain has never been used on the PC, & a serial number. It says I have used 2 out of 5 licences, because I also downloaded Norton onto my phone, just to use a licence up, I suppose, but I don't really know why because I hardly ever use it on there. When I scroll further down my profile on the website, it states I also have Norton Utilities Premium, & another activation key & serial number.
So to re-iterate,if some kind soul could provide me with advice, or even better, an idiot's guide to managing Norton 360 cloud backupss, I would be extremely grateful.

Last edited:

next010

Distinguished Member
Hi all.
Hope this is the right place to post this question.
I bought an Acer gaming PC for my son last year, & in June I subscribed to Norton 360 Deluxe for 12 months. My problem is this:
He is getting constant messages from Norton on his PC that he is low on cloud backup storage, & has about 500MB left from 50GB of cloud storage included in the plan. Bearing in mind that I know very little about computers, will the 50GB be enough cloud storage for his needs? Is it feasible that he's used the whole 50GB storage in the 6 months since subscribing to Norton? He uses the PC almost exclusively just to play Fortnite & Rocket League. And very occasionally to do some school work 🙄. I think he has quite a few files of 100MB+ that contain clips of his gaming, & that may possibly be why he is running low on storage.
I could do with knowing how to access his backup(s),or if indeed there will be more than 1? I'm hoping to find a few older backups that can possibly be deleted to free up space? But due to my lack of PC knowledge, an idiot guide would be much appreciated. I'm very concerned about deleting the wrong thing, & potentially losing some files forever. I have tried searching for solutions online, but don't find Norton to be very helpful in that regard, & have also looked into buying more storage, if that would solve the problem, but have read that extra storage can't be bought as a Norton 360 subscriber,only by subscribing to a pricier package?
When I sign in to the Norton website (on my phone), my profile says that I have Norton 360 Deluxe, shows an activation key containing about 20 characters,that I am almost certain has never been used on the PC, & a serial number. It says I have used 2 out of 5 licences, because I also downloaded Norton onto my phone, just to use a licence up, I suppose, but I don't really know why because I hardly ever use it on there. When I scroll further down my profile on the website, it states I also have Norton Utilities Premium, & another activation key & serial number.
So to re-iterate,if some kind soul could provide me with advice, or even better, an idiot's guide to managing Norton 360 cloud backupss, I would be extremely grateful.

From what I can see Norton cloud backup is really no different from the stock Microsoft Onedrive built into windows.

Its just copies whatever is selected in the programs settings to the cloud server so anything could be using that 50GB, The Norton program probably defaults to copying the user folder holding pictures, videos, documents.

A simple solution,
1 - buy a USB stick greater than 50GB.
2 - copy data from Norton cloud server onto the USB stick.
3 - Turn off the Norton Cloud backup and stop subscribing to it.

There is no reason your son needs to be using Norton Cloud backup given your description and if something happened to the computers internal storage the cloud backup would only save files from the folder it scans, it could not restore the entire computer.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom