Norton AV won't start - virus ?

HMHB

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Norton Antivirus 2002 on my brother's computer will not auto-protect - it doesn't load up into Windows XP system tray even when you tell it to. It won't do a full system scan, it starts and then just stops, it won't do a live update, and it won't let you set the auto-protect to ON.
It had previously been working and he can't remember when the icon stopped appearing in the system tray.
He uninstalled it and reinstalled but it still won't work. He's also run a virus scan from the symantec web-site but that didn't find anything wrong.
Has anyone got any ideas please as I'm getting fed up with all the phone calls !!

His subscription is still OK. I went round there this morning and booted up from the NAV CD but it didn't see the c: drive - maybe because it's NTFS ? Also, if this is run from the CD it will only have virus definitions on there up to 2002 I'd have thought.
I've suggested in the meantime that he downloads the removal tool from symantec and tried uninstalling with this. He says that he's also run something on-line called "stop-sign" and that tells him that there are files infected with Backdoor.Beast.206 and Trojan.Downloader.131 - yet Norton did not find these.

The problem is with CCAPP.exe not loading up

Does he have lots of other background stuff loading on startup ?

Get him to search symantec site for CCAPP and it will explain wat to do to fix the problem.

Edit:

Just re read about the trojan

If its been on sometime then as is probably the case his antivirus has been dissabled.

Download Antitrojan and get rid of them them do a complete uninstall of norton anti virus (instructions on symantecs site)

Then re install and do a complete system scan in safe mode.

Hope that helps

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom