Norton Antivirus or AVG?

Bat-man

Prominent Member
Reaction score
It seems to me that the Norton Antivirus I have installed is getting so 'bloated' that it is now slowing my computer down quite a bit.
I have heard that AVG anti virus is just as good but doesn't impact as much on computer performance.
I would be interested to know people's experiences.
Thanks.

I made the switch to AVG about a year ago. I too was on Norton before hand and the subscription ran out, so I thought would give AVG a try and I am happy with it, although I am not sure that there has been any change in the performance of my system, but for the price (free) that pushes it ahead of Norton for me.

We have now changed the office anti-virus system to AVG and it seems to be a much better system.
As an example, when i removed Norton and first installed AVG, it did a scan of my PC and found 2 viruses and 3 trojan horses that Norton was ignoring.............:eek:

Nod32

another freebie that has worked excellent for me

www.avast.com

great stuff AND FREE!!!!

Sorry guys but open up task manager

AVG uses less ram, does the same job without the subscription to boot. imo it's just clever marketing that these companies that offer paid for av that paying > free. Not true. I have not had a virus for 2 years :smashin:

Of course clever web use is necessary. Downloading an attachment in an email from someone you don't know does not count

AVG for me as well, I got fed up of Norton hogging all the resources.

AVG for me , never had a problem in all the years I've sued it. Use it with zonealarm firewall and spybot for spyware .

Just a couple of things to throw in the pot here... AusCERT have announced that 80% of all malicous software goes undetected by 'top' Anti Virus software.

Also, how do you know you've not had/have now a virus/worm/backdoor/keylogger/etc ?

JohnG said:
AVG for me as well, I got fed up of Norton hogging all the resources.

Ditto.

I asked the same question as the starter of this thread a while back.

Was unhappy with Nortons. Clogging up system, not letting me do certain things.

Removed the whole lot from my system and downloaded AVG. So far so good, no virus, crashes etc etc:smashin:

Another vote for AVG here........... Norton is bloatware pure and simple.

shay0 said:
Also, how do you know you've not had/have now a virus/worm/backdoor/keylogger/etc ?

Well your spyware detector will pick some of that up and your firewall should alert you if anything unauthorised that your antivirus might have missed tries to phone home.

Another :smashin: for AVG

Beobloke said:
We have now changed the office anti-virus system to AVG and it seems to be a much better system.
As an example, when i removed Norton and first installed AVG, it did a scan of my PC and found 2 viruses and 3 trojan horses that Norton was ignoring.............:eek:

What's it like in a commercial environment? Is the licensing significently cheaper than norton or Sophos and is it centrally managed?

AVG here also made the switch about 18 months ago from Nortons, again it found 2-3 items that NAV didnt pickup on.......ditch NAV and move to AVG :smashin:

Pete

AVG, Zone alarm, spybot, spyware blaster, ewido 4 and window defender. No poblems for a couple of years or more.

And at the moment all free. I've even donated to spybot and spyware blaster.

I had nortons and trend, but both didn't pick things up the freebies did when i first run them. And Nortons is just so hungry.

Why people pay for bloatware amazes me. I try and convert everyone i know and once they try the so-titled 'free must be junk' software they don't go back.

A certain big store has a lot to answer for, the number of times people i know have literally been forced to buy overpriced AV and firewalls by being told 'dont trust these free programs' is disgusting.

HI,

I'd never use Norton software again: it's bloated, and not worth the money for the "protection" it offers, when AVG will do this, for free, and without taking over my PC's resources!

Since AVG (free version) was installed, I've never had a virus again! :clap: If this company can do it for free, then Norton needs to take a long hard look in the mirror, at why they charge £40 and more, for their so-called "superior" form of anti-viral software. :lesson:

Pooch

our show machines use AVG but our studio machines use Kaspersky as of last week. Seems a good little system

I used to have Norton installed on my machine. When I recorded TV programmes on my DigiTV card, Norton used to sometimes block the MPEG file being created on the HDD, and I'd only get half a programme.

I presume it thought it was some sort of virus - rubbish, rubbish and rubbish.

Since moving to AVG I had no problems at all - excellent piece of software for free

Well - After all that positive feedback regarding AVG I've done it!
Norton's gone and AVG is now resident.
It's just scanning my hard disk as I write this.
Hope all's well.

Bat-man said:
It's just scanning my hard disk as I write this.

Something you'd struggle to achieve using Norton :D

Another AVG user here, Norton I have found is good if you do limited browsing and take a bit of time to set it up but since a big majority of PC users have basic knowledge this is not the program for them.

I find AVG and Ewido to keep my system virus/spyware free.

Kapersky is very good too, one of the top antivirus programs.

A site online does a wide antivirus comparison but I for get the link.

Liam

Mr.D said:
Well your spyware detector will pick some of that up and your firewall should alert you if anything unauthorised that your antivirus might have missed tries to phone home.
That's my point "should". When PC World ran tests on the most popular Spyware packages last year, the best of the lot only picked up 85% of infections. Coupled with the fact that Anti Virus and Spyware signatures are reactionary (for obvious reasons) it seems like your fighting a losing battle sometimes.

Always avoid Norton.

I am sure some get on fine with it, but I have not touched it for years, and some of my friends who work in IT in business and schools will not touch anything Norton/Symantec.

DVD-Man said:
Another AVG user here, Norton I have found is good if you do limited browsing and take a bit of time to set it up but since a big majority of PC users have basic knowledge this is not the program for them.

I find AVG and Ewido to keep my system virus/spyware free.

Kapersky is very good too, one of the top antivirus programs.

A site online does a wide antivirus comparison but I for get the link.

Liam
I switched from AVG to Kaspersky the other day. Its fantastic. Although it picked up a few things AVG failed to, i still rate AVG highly seeing as its free. The only reason i switched is i wanted a decent software firewall (even though my router has a good hardware one) for better control over programs etc.

After a lot of reading on comparison sites/forums etc, NOD32 and Kaspersky always came out on top (with AVG being the best free option).

Anybody ive known that has used Norton has had issues with it, including me when ive tried it in the past. The resources it takes up is daft for what it is, and the firewall you get with Internet Security can sometimes be nothing but hassle.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom