Northern Lights....

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Chubster, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Chubster

Chubster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Anyone seen them in the flesh....? Thinking of heading to either Norway or Iceland but dont know whether to book a tour and hope or just head out there DIY

If anyone has been to either would appreciate your thoughts

2. Some Bloke

Some Bloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +571
  3. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +761
    There's also a thread about trips to see the Northern Lights in the Travel and Holidays forum section.

4. dafnpuppet

dafnpuppet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    I've seen them a few times when skiing in northern Lapland. Not too expensive to travel to Finland really but EVERYTHING is expensive when you get there.
    Definately worth seeing. One of the many things in life that you need to see WITH YOUR EYES. Photography does it no justice at all.

5. richardhurst

richardhurst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Hi

A friend of mine, Antony Spencer (LPOTY 2010) runs regular trips out there through Light & Land and he can't recommend it enough. Saw some of his latest pics last weekend from a recent trip and it looks amazing. Take a look at the website.I'm going to go Jan 2013.

6. OneEyedStuart

OneEyedStuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +926
    Used to live in Shetland as a wee boy and saw them briefly there.

Used to work in Iceland in the mid Eighties and as the nights drew in I saw them on a couple of occassions. Left before the nights really took hold though so never managed to see them in all of their glory. What I saw though was pretty spectacular.

Way back then it was a very expensive place to live and I imagine little has changed in that regard. If you're only going for a few days it might be worth it. Don't leave it too long though as now is a great time to see them and will be for a couple of months yet.

KH

7. Goody

Goody

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    A couple of years ago I did a budget flight to Tromso with a 2 day stop over in Oslo. Ryanair to Oslo Torp, then Nowegian Air to Tromso. Stayed in a B&B in Tromso which was quite reasonable, and then booked a couple of tours via the tourist information office out there. Probably better value than a package but, as others have said, very expensive out there for food.

When I was there, the display was very low key as there wasn't much sun activity, and I think the photos I took more than did the light show justice. Would love to go back soon.

One tip, check the phases of the Moon before you book, as you don't want to go when there's a full Moon. New Moon is best, but you will be fine a few days either side.

8. rich1

rich1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    I've also seen them a few times on ski trips to Levi in Northern Finland and just booked up to go again this year, got a good deal on a week from Inghams for half board with flights £350 pp.
    I would say you need a minimum of a week to allow for weather and solar activity.

We went to Iceland on a stag do for a long weekend, just remember it being very expensive.

One I took
    [​IMG]
    Northern Lights by rich1971, on Flickr

9. Goody

Goody

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Here's one of mine from Tromso. Remember, this was low level, about 2-3 on a scale of 1-10. This is one of the locations the minibus took us to.

[​IMG]

10. Darthchaffinch

Darthchaffinch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +465
    Norway is massivley expensive, you could do a flight to Stockholm, then a flight up to Kiruna- some cheapish places to stay too. Check out swedish lapland on tripadvisor. This is the area: www.kirunalapland.se/

I'm heading up there next winter

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012