Northern Ireland Rioting

The whole thing about the funeral is absolute nonsense. I wasn't able to attend my Aunts funeral but because I didn't grow up in Loyalist area I don't have a genuine grevience. Seriously that's what I feel like their saying. I know even Sinn Fein voters who were just as angry after the Bobby Story funeral.

As for Brexit, majority of Unionists (well Unionst politicans) voted for Brexit so the blame entirely lies between them and the Tory Government.
I'm only telling you what the news reports are saying. You don't have to believe them. I don't live there so I cannot tell you if those reports are true or not. If you feel the reports are rubbish then why not contact the BBC and ITV? Would I believe you or the news channels? I'll let you work that one out.
I know the Unionists voted for Brexit.

EDIT: Sorry, I misunderstood your post. I thought you were saying the reports were nonsense.

Last edited:
Orcestrated to focus EU/UK minds to "fix"?
Who knows, however it’s worrying, but surely it’s Johnson that needs to come up with a fix, his deal created the issue. I’m aware that discussions with the EU are taking place however the EU ambassador seems to think the UK doesn’t have any alternatives.

Both the EU and the British side came up with the NI Protocol. It is the best they could come up with.

According the New European article ^^^ .
João Vale de Almeida told the Guardian he understood the "sensitivities" and the "delicate and volatile situation in Northern Ireland", which he visited last year.

He said the EU was "fully committed in a constructive way to find solutions for those problems" but it had to be "within the limits of the protocol that we have agreed not long ago"...........

He added: "I can guarantee that from listening to those who negotiated – and Michel Barnier and David Frost were among them – I can tell you that they turned every stone to try to find alternatives to this protocol.

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/sponsored?prx_t=LJsGAFH9LAnSYRA&ntv_fr
"No one came with a better idea – even those who attack the protocol today, who would like to see it scrapped, have no alternative to the protocol. So that what should be our focus. Our focus should be to implement the protocol."

Well if people turn back to criminality/military type actions again they will ultimately face more than the police. Can't be held to ransom by violent men.
Christ, no, you're not suggesting we send troops back in, are you?

That would be a f***ing disaster.

Unreal. Very Trumpian statement

Foster is so bigoted, it's embarrassing.

She was happy to take the bribe to prop up the Tories and now she's blaming Sinn Fein for something she's up to her neck in?

She's not someone you can rely on to calm this situation.

She was happy to take the bribe to prop up the Tories and now she's blaming Sinn Fein for something she's up to her neck in?

Bigots like her have no interest in calming anything. Their bread and butter is inciting and/or fanning the flames of hatred. We learned that (as if it needed to be learnt) from Trump.

If rumours are to be believed the easing of the lockdown is going to see a major upturn in the numbers coming out onto the streets to protest.
Someone mentioned a figure above of 150 people...don't believe it.

Apart from the rioting, and possibly much more concerning, masked terrorists are now parading through some area's whipping up a frenzy.

Thanks for that Dony. Yet another night of it, this one sadly somewhat symbolic.

Foster and the DUP are the best reason to keep Ireland divided.
Do people really hate the Republic enough to inflict Foster & Co on them?

Foster is a loathsome individual who will end up with blood on her hands. She has betrayed her own voters to help a Tory government who were controlled by the far right and now NI is paying the price.

Tensions continue to rise in NI and Brexit seems to be the cause.....but I guess many already knew this was likely to happen.

We discussed it a lot over at DS, where Brexiters (surprise, surprise...) dismissed it as Project Fear. So it comes as no surprise to us.
Was it similarly discussed here?

We discussed it a lot over at DS, where Brexiters (surprise, surprise...) dismissed it as Project Fear. So it comes as no surprise to us.
Yes I remember those threads on DS, I used to post there as Random Precision. I used to pop into the brexit thread here and the leavers were just as dismissive.

Yes it was and yes it was similarly dismissed. Or at least seen as an issue that would be resolved at some point with the right leadership.

So where we are now is no great surprise.

Historically, we have a very difficult relationship with NI and I think it's seen as an insurmountable problem here, something we'd much rather keep in the background.

DS remainers had a case of selective blindness for certain words.

might
Could
May
Worries
Fears

All invisible to them.
Every article was a case of DOOM!!!!
So much so that many times the linked article had no bearing on Brexit, the wrong link was made.
Quite often the article wasn’t even about the UK or even the EU

It didn’t stop page after page of hysteria.
The desperate Kassandra routine as poster tried to prove how smart and rational they were, how they had seen through the lies and hate was entertaining.

the evil racist Brexit voters attacking refugees...except the article was about Poland anti abortion protests was a particular level of comedy.

shame it was deleted.

might
Could
May
Worries
Fears

All invisible to them.
So much so that many times the linked article had no bearing on Brexit, the wrong link was made.

The desperate Kassandra routine as poster tried to prove how smart and rational they were, how they had seen through the lies and hate was entertaining.

the evil racist Brexit voters attacking refugees...except the article was about Poland anti abortion protests was a particular level of comedy.

shame it was deleted.
I'm not entirely sure about the point you're making?

Both sides, it could be argued, had selective blindness for certain outcomes. Unfortunately, the NI issue was identified and acknowledged fairly early on, but it seems to have been ignored for whatever reason.

I voted Remain and I don't feel vindicated that this has happened, I feel depressed.

might
Could
May
Worries
Fears

All invisible to them.

shame it was deleted.
On your planet maybe, I can’t remember any of that. There was some exaggeration but most fears have gradually materialised to some degree or other. The thing that used to make me laugh was Brexiteers claiming everything was going fine immediately after the initial vote to leave, as if that proved anything.
We still haven’t seen the full consequences of leaving but even the most enthusiastic Brexiteer must admit that things are not looking great. The big question to me was why would anyone vote for something that would Inevitably lead to problems and a lower standard of living. Even the majority of Brexiteers admitted it would be difficult, the only argument was about how long it would take to recover.

I'm not entirely sure about the point you're making?

Both sides, it could be argued, had selective blindness for certain outcomes. Unfortunately, the NI issue was identified and acknowledged fairly early on, but it seems to have been ignored for whatever reason.

I voted Remain and I don't feel vindicated that this has happened, I feel depressed.
I had various discussions with Brexiteers around Northern Ireland, and their attitude was, pretty much universally, that the Irish would accept it. Either that, or just let them have each other. It was the same attitude as regards Scotland, if they don't like it then they can do one. That's what it amounts to.

There was no consideration whatsoever to the particular issues as regards Ireland, either through complete ignorance or just a lack of caring. Anybody who had that attitude, and that includes the likes of Johnson, Mogg, Farage, Foster etc, are responsible for this, as are those who had the attitude I mention, and voted for Brexit. This was never Project Fear, this was, and is, real and very much capable of escalation.

Like you, I am very much a Remainer, and this doesn't make me feel satisfied or vindicated, just sorry as regards something which could, and should, really have been avoided.

This is Boris warning of the problems an internal UK Border down the Irish Sea would cause and reassuring the DUP in 2018 at their Conference that he was totally against it.

Then in 2019, Boris went ahead and created the Border dividing NI off as an "economic semi-colony of the EU".

So Boris created this internal UK Border and he promised "unfettered access" across the Border and "the best of both worlds".
Boris also promised that there would be no customs forms.

Boris has lied and continues to lie about the internal UK Border. It is within the UK Government's power to alter the circumstances of those dealing across the internal UK Border to ensure that no UK citizen is disadvantaged by the Border Boris created. They haven't done that and even in 2021, we have the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland denying that the Border even exists.

The amount of lying that Boris and his Government have done about this internal UK Border exceeds even the lying they have done on any other subject.

Last edited:
On your planet maybe, I can’t remember any of that. There was some exaggeration but most fears have gradually materialised to some degree or other. The thing that used to make me laugh was Brexiteers claiming everything was going fine immediately after the initial vote to leave, as if that proved anything.
We still haven’t seen the full consequences of leaving but even the most enthusiastic Brexiteer must admit that things are not looking great. The big question to me was why would anyone vote for something that would Inevitably lead to problems and a lower standard of living. Even the majority of Brexiteers admitted it would be difficult, the only argument was about how long it would take to recover.
1. We were told that a vote to leave would lead to 750,000 job losses and the economy would nosedive. Property prices would decrease by 17%. The value of my house went up and we didn't lose 750,000 jobs in the months after June 2016.

2. The economy was not among the top three reasons people voted to leave.

3. The threat of violence returning to NI was made if the UK left the EU without a deal and the possibility of a hard border in Ireland.

4. According to the news reports these demonstrations are, mainly, a result of Sinn Fein not being prosecuted for attending a funeral last year and breaking lock down rules. Unionists not happy with Brexit is also mentioned.

5. Points 1-3 have all been done to death in the Brexit thread. Maybe we could just discuss point 4 here?

This is Boris warning of the problems an internal UK Border down the Irish Sea would cause and reassuring the DUP in 2018 at their Conference that he was totally against it.

Then in 2019, Boris went ahead and created the Border dividing NI off as an "economic semi-colony of the EU".

So Boris created this internal UK Border and he promised "unfettered access" across the Border and "the best of both worlds".
Boris also promised that there would be no customs forms.

Boris has lied and continues to lie about the internal UK Border. It is within the UK Government's Power to alter the circumstances of those dealing across the internal UK Border to ensure that no UK citizen is disadvantaged by the Border Boris created. They haven't done that and even in 2021, we have the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland denying that the Border even exists.

The amount of lying that Boris and his Government have done about this internal UK Border exceeds even the lying they have done on any other subject.

Doesn’t excuse Foster though. Anyone with half a brain knows to take anything that comes out of Johnson’s mouth to be a lie. It’s the sensible default, occasionally you will be wrong and the truth might slip through, but the assumption that everything is lying propaganda is the safest option.

No accountability what so ever from the UK Government. I was listening to local radio yesterday and for 2 days in a row, they have been unable to get in contact with Brandon Lewis. Shameful. I've no doubt his predecessor Julian Smith would be a lot more attentive and was imo in fact the only competent minister in Government who was actually doing his job.

1. We were told that a vote to leave would lead to 750,000 job losses and the economy would nosedive. Property prices would decrease by 17%. The value of my house went up and we didn't lose 750,000 jobs in the months after June 2016.

2. The economy was not among the top three reasons people voted to leave.

3. The threat of violence returning to NI was made if the UK left the EU without a deal and the possibility of a hard border in Ireland.

4. According to the news reports these demonstrations are, mainly, a result of Sinn Fein not being prosecuted for attending a funeral last year and breaking lock down rules. Unionists not happy with Brexit is also mentioned.

5. Points 1-3 have all been done to death in the Brexit thread. Maybe we could just discuss point 4 here?
Yes, I know it was off-topic but I was replying to a post discussing previous behaviour on DS.
Anyway, why bother to reply if you’re so fed up with the other points.
BTW, you’ve done exactly the same as the Brexiteers I mentioned. What the hell did the lack of job losses and your house going up in value in 2016 have to do with leaving the EU ? Let’s wait and see how house prices and unemployment figures are in a year or two.
But, I agree. It is off-topic and my last post on the subject here.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom