Northern Ireland Rioting

whitesnake11

Kind of bizare that none of this seems to be on the UK news...but there you go

Sandy Row riot: Leaders appeal for calm after Belfast riot

Riots in Belfast, Newtonabby and Derry. Loyalist leaders using kids to do their dirty work. Sums of complete lack of leadership at the heart of political unionism.
There was a report on BBC News this morning and reported here on the Sky News website.

glasshalfempty

Debaser21

Standard Member
Whilst the violence is no where near as violent as it was in the past, this could be a very worrying spark that could turn into something more serious.

Quoted in the BBC article, Arele Foster said many young people were "hugely frustrated by the events of this last week" but that causing injury to police officers would not make things better".

What a pathetic attempt from our supposedly first minster in condemnation.

whitesnake11

Whilst the violence is no where near as violent as it was in the past, this could be a very worrying spark that could turn into something more serious.

Quoted in the BBC article, Arele Foster said many young people were "hugely frustrated by the events of this last week" but that causing injury to police officers would not make things better".

What a pathetic attempt from our supposedly first minster in condemnation.
I agree it is worrying and linked to the NIP.

tapzilla2k

Distinguished Member
The Northern Ireland Protocol is a direct threat to the peace process in Northern Ireland. Not that I expect Johnson and co will do anything about it. I fear we might see a summer of riots that could spin out of control and into open conflict of some kind (I hope that's avoided). The so called hardmen of Northern Ireland will be pulling the strings or winding up young people into senseless acts of violence.

Arlene Foster is about as useful as a chocolate teapot in this situation, the DUP have never liked the Good Friday Agreement.

richp007

Distinguished Member
A government pursuing a flawed ideology whilst chucking NI under the bus was never likely to end well.

It's in absolutely everyone's best interests to avoid any trouble though, so they'd better pull their finger out their arse and start applying some sensibility to the situation in order to resolve it.

A start would be by acknowledging that they made a mess of this with regards to Brexit.

Confession is good for the soul.

4loco

Boris always promised unfettered access across the internal UK Border.
It is an internal Border, so Boris has control of it. He signed papers saying how it would be operated - now he just has to adhere to what he signed up for and make the Border as unfettered as possible and also ensure that those UK citizens on both sides of the Border are not disadvantaged compared to other UK citizens who do not have to deal with the Border.

That is all within his control - if he chooses to fix the problems his internal UK Border created.

whitesnake11

A government pursuing a flawed ideology whilst chucking NI under the bus was never likely to end well.

It's in absolutely everyone's best interests to avoid any trouble though, so they'd better pull their finger out their arse and start applying some sensibility to the situation in order to resolve it.

A start would be by acknowledging that they made a mess of this with regards to Brexit.

Confession is good for the soul.
There really is only one solution to the issue, however it’s not one our Brexit government will contemplate, we’ll not for a few years anyway.

richp007

Distinguished Member
This is currently escalating into something serious and barely even a mention on the main news. Although there was something on Newsnight apparently.

(Mods, I made a similar post in the Brexit section, but posting here too for those who don't wish to discuss the Brexit aspect)

BlueOrange25

We've had a new generation since the GFA, and what (relative) progress that's been made since the Troubles is now at risk.

Inevitably, some will say that peace in NI shouldn't stop the democratic desire for Brexit. The question is, did Brexit have to be constructed in such a way as to sell another generation down the river.

If there are any under 18s pulled into the violence, it's quite a legacy to leave behind as Prime Minister. So much for the "unfettered access".

4loco

119026774_3386369334758369_4484967709346400937_n.jpg

psikey

Distinguished Member
Not a peep from anyone in the UK Govenment, not even Brandon Lewis (Sec. of State).
I think the numbers attacking police in London/Bristol over the new police rules are currently the bigger 'riots' to deal with and taking the headline.

Isn't the NI trouble like 150 young men?

There is coverage

Seems many are seriously p'ed off about the doubled standards with 2,000 mourners - including Deputy First Minister Michelle O'Neill - at a time when Covid restrictions were in place.

Cliff

Distinguished Member
There really is only one solution to the issue, however it’s not one our Brexit government will contemplate, we’ll not for a few years anyway.
Post Brexit, there is no solution that satisfies both sides. If there was our government and the EU would have agreed on it.

4loco

Post Brexit, there is no solution that satisfies both sides. If there was our government and the EU would have agreed on it.
Boris could minimise the downsides for those UK citizens who have been disadvantaged and face increased costs due to his newly created internal UK Border.

Debaser21

Standard Member
I think the numbers attacking police in London/Bristol over the new police rules are currently the bigger 'riots' to deal with and taking the headline.

Isn't the NI trouble like 150 young men?

There is coverage

Seems many are seriously p'ed off about the doubled standards with 2,000 mourners - including Deputy First Minister Michelle O'Neill - at a time when Covid restrictions were in place.
Not even from Brandon Lewis? He's supposed to be our Sectary of State and besides a tweet, I haven't heard a single thing from him at all. Granted there's protests happening England but this is Northern Ireland and this could very easily esculate into something more serious especially since this is Northern Ireland centenary (100 years of creation of N.Ireland) so something like this needs to be nipped in the bud now.

Also Foster has refused to meet with the PSNI but has no problem meeting with loyalist leaders? o_O

Hampy1972

Distinguished Member
Guess some things never change..........

whitesnake11

There is a solution, however this government will never take it, that solution is CU/SM membership. The referendum has been honoured. Time to work towards rejoining, might take years but that’s were my focus is.

psikey

Distinguished Member
Not even from Brandon Lewis? He's supposed to be our Sectary of State and besides a tweet, I haven't heard a single thing from him at all. Granted there's protests happening England but this is Northern Ireland and this could very easily esculate into something more serious especially since this is Northern Ireland centenary (100 years of creation of N.Ireland) so something like this needs to be nipped in the bud now.

Also Foster has refused to meet with the PSNI but has no problem meeting with loyalist leaders? o_O

It can't easily be "nipped in the bud" because you have EU and UK at political/trade odds too, not just NI and ROI.

Hopefully they will find something more acceptable soon.

psikey

Distinguished Member
There is a solution, however this government will never take it, that solution is CU/SM membership. The referendum has been honoured. Time to work towards rejoining, might take years but that’s were my focus is.
Remind me, you can't have CU/SM without also FOM and ECJ ?

whitesnake11

Cliff

Distinguished Member
CU/SM is not Brexit.

psikey

Distinguished Member
If "And" means yes, then that's why no one that voted out could accept them. EU trap is to link them all together, the CU/SM lure nations into having FOM, ECJ and ever closer union and centralised EU political control (and Euro if new to club).

If that's what the majority in each nation want and they have a say on it then its all fine.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on UK streaming services for May 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung's 110-inch Micro LED TV on pre-order at Harrods
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bang & Olufsen introduces Beosound Emerge speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony launches native 4K VPL-VW290ES and VW890ES projectors