1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Northbridge cooling

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Molly, Nov 22, 2003.

1. Molly

Molly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have purchased a silent cooling system to replace the fan on my motherboard.

The screws on each side of the fan turn but do not unscrew completely. Do I need to pull the screw with pliers to remove?
    I do not want to damage my motherboard.

Motherboard Abit NF7.

Thanks

2. vikingboy

vikingboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if it was the same as mine, the little black tops pull through the centre of the "screw" body, for want of a better name. You can check the underside of the motherboard too to ensure there isnt anything amiss. They did need a good old tug though.....
    Ive done the mod on two and not had any grief....good luck!

Rereading your pst, you dont mean the screws which hold the fan to the heatsink do you? They have nothing to do with removing the heatsink. The fan will come away with it when you remove the plastic clips. Unplug the power lead of course at some point.

3. Molly

Molly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think I understand.

Can I just pull the black tops with pliers? This will then remove the fan?

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    If you're talking about the pillars than go through the PCB, if you look at the underside you may well find that there are two flanges (for want of a better term) which splay out beyond the hole to stop the pillar pulling back through .. I find small crocodile pliers useful in compressing these flanges back so they are flush with the pillar itself, which can then be gently pushed/pulled back out of the PCB.