North Bridge Fan Header - help! (GA-MA78GM-S2H)

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by ChrisAV, Feb 10, 2009.

1. ChrisAV

ChrisAV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Northbridge Fan Header to Hi

Just finished build using GA-MA78GM-S2H with AMD 5050e in an Antec Solo case (standard fans on case and cpu cooler).

However, I've just noticed a warning in the manual (p 33) stressing the importance of connecting the North Bridge fan cable to the North Bridge Fan Header. The thing is , my fan doesn't have a connector, just a switch for low/medium/high.

Is this the fan is it referring to? I understand there is also cpu fan (which is connector to my stock cooler) and a system fan header (which isn't connected to anything). I'm guessing from the locations the sytem fan header would drive an additional fan mounted in the front of the chassis, and the NB header one at the rear if I replaced the stock one?

I have the main fan on 'low' and the bios is reporting systema and cpu at around 34 deg. I also used Speedfan and get the following:

Idle:
    temp 1 - 34
    temp 2 - 29
    temp 3 - 80
    HD0 - 33
    Core - 15

Full load:
    temp 1 - 34
    temp 2 - 45
    temp 3 - 86
    HD - 33
    Core - 29

I'm hoping temp 3 isn't a true reading - should I be worried, the PC seems pretty cool with no obvious hot spots?

Thanks

Chris

2. sloany1979

sloany1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I just looked up your motherboard on the gigabyte website and it doesn`t have a fan fitted on the motherboard as standard. Is the fan with the three way toggle switch one of the ones fitted to the case?
    Now the motherboard you have mentioned has its own hardware temp monitoring software that will shut down the computer if it gets too hot. But I can`t tell what the temp 3 reading is for.
    If it is the graphics over heating you would notice strange things happening to the displayed image.
    The temps for core seem very low unless your house is very cold so this leads me to think that speed fan isn`t giving you the correct temps.
    Now you can try fitting 2 low noise 92mm fans to the front of your case this will increase the airflow through your case and help drop the temps within.
    And try using CPUID I find this gives the true temps.

3. ChrisAV

ChrisAV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Yes, the large on on the rear (no other fans fitted). The air venting out the back is pretty cool.

Room temperature is 22.5, so CPU does seem to be very cool (11 deg at the moment) - I'll try CPU id later.

Thanks

Chris

4. ChrisAV

ChrisAV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Just run CPUID, reporting identical to Speedfan.

Note temp 3 seems to be at 80C straight after boot, is it even possible for anything to heat that quickly (and then stop heating significantly more)?

Thanks

Chris

5. Supersonic

Supersonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
    In a way that's correct - there is a known bug with Brisbane core processors (which I believe your 5050e is) that means they report temps incorrectly. My 4850e reads anywhere from 7 to 40 degrees, idle to full load, in a room at about 21 degrees C.

(As an aside I think this causes problems with the fan control on my Gigabyte board - at idle it would stop the fan, but spins it up to full speed within 2 or 3 seconds of detecting any processor load over about 33%. My understanding is the ramp-up should be smoother than this! I have a support ticket open with Gigabyte on this.)

6. ChrisAV

ChrisAV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Couple of observations, after putting Speedfan in startup then leaving PC off to cool for an hour or so:

1) First reading after boot showed CPU to be around 16C, HDD about 22C (same as room temp) - CPU then continued to fall to 12/13 before climbing to around 16.

2) Under full load CPU took around 2-3 minutes to hit 29/30C (HDD steadily climbing bit not to previous max)

3) Left on full load for 5 minutes, then stopped then load. Instantly the CPU dropped from 29/30C to 20C then continued to fall to around 15C over the next 2 minutes.

Fan control (CPU cooler) seems to be working around 1600rpm idle, peaking 2280 under load.

HDD temp seems reliable starting room temperature and climbing to around 30C over 10 minutes or so, just below the temp 1/2 figures at idle (temp 3 at 80-85C doesn't seem credible).

So maybe the CPU is reporting low, but assuming everything is running 30-45C and the CPU cooler is running I'm thinking it should be OK?

Cheers

Chris

7. divil_a_bit

divil_a_bit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm using the GA-MA78GM-S2H and I also have a North Bridge reading of 80-90 degrees using speedfan. And this is from boot too! Looking at Google, lots of people have the same problems.

My CPU temps are around 35-45 degrees, depending on load.

8. ChrisAV

ChrisAV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    What CPU do you have, I know mine is low power (5050e), but don't know if this necessarily means cooler?

Chris

9. divil_a_bit

divil_a_bit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a 5600+ ... definitley not as cool/low pewer as yours but I purchased a Zalman heatsink and fan to replace the stock heatsink and fan.

10. ChrisAV

ChrisAV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Thanks - at least I can stop worrying about the North Bridge!

Chris