North American TV for use in the UK

unrealdave

Hi Guys

I have been given a Samsung LN-T4071F TFT-LCD tv and its from North America. :clap:

Is there a one box solution that will let me take a freeview signal from the uk arial and convert it to work with the tv?

I am also looking at setting up a freesat dish and and getting a Bush Freesat HD Digital Box - would there compatability issues if I set it up with a hdmi cable? :confused:

Any help/advice really appreciated - thanks

Dave

Chris Muriel

Distinguished Member
HDMI is the most likely solution to work.
You haven't stated what inputs the TV has; it won't have SCART but may have some phono/RCA sockets for component input (Y Pr Pb). Unfortunately nost Freeview boxes use SCART which employs RGB which is less likely to be supported by the TV.
American TVs tend to lack support for 25/50 Hz (they use 30/60 Hz) whereas European models tend to support both.
I am assuming the TV will run off our 230 volt AC mains; otherwise you would also need a step down transformer.
If you can find the correct manual online (Samsung USA support site ?) it should list supported formats and resolutions.
Then you can check for compatibility between Freeview boxes (supported output modes/formats) versus the TV's capability, particularly via HDMI.

unrealdave

Hi Chris
Thanks for that. It does have a 2 HDMI inputs and a few phono/rca so I could use a scart adaptor, and I've got a step down transformer that works fine. The most confusing thing for me is the 25/50 Hz as opposed to 30/60 Hz. Would HDMI be the same the world over?

I have the manual but very un-informative.

I think freesat might be my best bet.

AndyCob

No unfortunately. HDMI as a standard is the same but the standard supports both 50 and 60Hz but most US TVs only handle 60Hz (and 24 for Blu-ray these days). You will most likely not be able to feed the screen with any sort of external tuner be it freeview or sky etc by HDMI as they will output at 50Hz (it's not impossible the screen will acept a 50Hz input but it is very very rare on US TVs).

About the only thing you can be sure it will accpet by HDMI is either a 24 or 60Hz feed by HDMI from a DVD/Blu-ray player.

You would need to convert from 60 to 50 and while it can be done it's not especially cheap nor are the results of doing so particualrly desirable in terms of picture quality, motion effects.

In short it usually cheaper and easier to get a UK TV than use a US one in the UK.

unrealdave

Thanks for your input Andy

I guess I need a freesat receiver which has switchable output 50hz or 60hz if such a thing exists?

AndyCob

Sorry meant of course you would need to convert from the UK 50Hz output of a UK tuner to 60Hz to feed the US TV if feeding by HDMI or possibly component video. To feed a signal by any other means would require even more kit as the US TV tuner system is totally different to ours as is the old SD NTSC colour standard for connections like S-VHS and composite video.

I don't think you will find any UK tuners that can otuput at 60Hz, there is simply no need for such a feature but they may exist.

You almost certainly can buy a little black box of some sort that will convert a 50Hz feed to a 60Hz one but you probably won't like either the price or the quality of the result.

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
Sorry meant of course you would need to convert from the UK 50Hz output of a UK tuner to 60Hz to feed the US TV if feeding by HDMI or possibly component video. To feed a signal by any other means would require even more kit as the US TV tuner system is totally different to ours as is the old SD NTSC colour standard for connections like S-VHS and composite video.

I don't think you will find any UK tuners that can otuput at 60Hz, there is simply no need for such a feature but they may exist.

You almost certainly can buy a little black box of some sort that will convert a 50Hz feed to a 60Hz one but you probably won't like either the price or the quality of the result.

I fully endorse wha AndyCob says. North American TV's are notorious for not supporting 50Hz or derivative standards as used in Europe (and most of the rest of the world).

A US tV can only be sensibly be used with a Blu-Ray player or a games console.

I have heard however that some continental model DVB-T tuners , notably those sold by the German discount chain Aldi will output 60HZ via HDMI but at the expense of picture degradation.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom