normalise button

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by charlie55, Feb 22, 2005.

1. charlie55

charlie55

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    does anyone out there know of a way to disable the most stupid button ever to grace any tv far less panasonic's 42 inch viera.
    i speak of course of the normalise button which is as much use as a choccy poker. to-night for the fifth time in 8 months a member of my family hit it by mistake. in defense of my family member i must say they have no interest in my hobby and cannot see it as a big deal.
    but as i do have an interest can anyone tell me how to get rid of this most irrating button because if i can't i may end up getting rid of the bloody thing.

2. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,013
    Why dont you take the remote apart, remove the rubber sheet containing the button and then cut the Normalise button down so it is recessed, then you can only press it by using a pen or something.
    10 minute job! :)

3. kron

kron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    ....or take the slightly more expensive route - relagte the panny remote to the back of the drawer...get a learning remote and program it with only the buttons you want.

4. charlie55

charlie55

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    great idea just have to figure out how the wife oop,s family member could screw that up, but thanks anyway. :hiya:

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    a harmony H655 £99 easy as pie to program just download off web control 10 bits of kit and remove normalise

6. braveknight

braveknight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 655 is OK... I've got the model it's based on - 659 - and find it a little bit irritating at times.

The 880 that is just being launched in the US looks pretty sweet though...

7. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    i was thinking about the 655 but if you look in the remotes forum there are quite a few stories from unhappy users, re software conflicts etc and problems in downloading controls. There are also happy users but perhaps a higher model is a safer bet?

8. codlord

codlord
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Or what about a Philips Pronto RU940? - not the greatest looking device in the world but very very configurable with more-or-less unlimited options. Configure via PC program. Only trouble is you can spend ages "fiddling" with config options. But a dream to use once set up with all your macros etc.

They are a bit overpriced new (especially the newer colour ones - £400-£500! ouch!) but you should be able to get a second hand RU940 with charger for around a £100 on ebay.

9. braveknight

braveknight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Pronto is very configurable, but I had one and didn't like it... 'hard' buttons are so much nicer / quicker to use than a touchscreen (which you have to keep looking at).

I would also strongly advise that you think about what you want to achieve with the Pronto before buying - you can spend ages designing layouts, and it can be a fine balancing act between getting all the controls you want / need onto a single screen vs. having them large enough to actually use!!

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    i hate the pronto interfaceH655 done in 30 minutes perhaps needs a bit of tweaking check the remote forums but most issues were Windows not Harmony issues

11. codlord

codlord
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah I would have to agree with the last two posts - if you just want a simple tool that the whole family can use you are probably better off with a Harmony or similar.

I mainly got the pronto to run my PC MP3 jukebox - I have software to scan my hard drive and then create artist/album listings automatically to download to the pronto so I can play any music from a very simple interface without even having to have the screen on. Takes a lot of initial setting up and fiddling with software tools but once its done its very easy to update.

12. charlie55

charlie55

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    thanks for the replies i think i'll go with gizlaroc just hope it does'nt invalidate warranty. :clap: