1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Normal?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Test005, Nov 1, 2002.

1. Test005

Test005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    This question can be somewhat vague, but I'll give it a shot to see if some hi-fi expert can explain this phenomena to me :)

When I see a movie in Dolby Digital and there's a scene with music and/or background noise. My backspeakers sound strange.

When sittitng in the sofa I can't hear the at all, only if I put my ear close to one of the surround speakers.
    The sound is somehow "distant" and very low. The music sounds very far away.

Maybe it's supposed to be like this? Because when a loud effect (non-music) comes from the back, the speakers delivers loud and clear.

This weekend I'm going to dedicate to movies alone. Planning to rent 10-12 DVD:s, lock the door, shut off the phone and bring out the snacks.

Have a nice weekend, take it easy out there and don't forget your chill-pill!

Test005/Finland

2. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,529
    Check your settings for the rear speakers. Maybe you could check with the test tone on either your amp/tv and or THX encoded disc?

Enjoy your weekend and DO NOT HIRE that new adaptation of the Lovecroft horror story. I can't even remember what it's called but it is so bad I got embarassed for the director while I was atching it!!!:eek:

Regdz
    John

3. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dagon?! It wasn't that bad! I was at a screening with Stuart Gordon and he's a very nice man... it's certainly better than his earlier films (re-animator and From Beyond). The girl in it was gorgeous and the skinning skin was one of the most horrible things I have ever seen on film!! Didn't like the ending though.

4. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,529
    Yes, Dagon, that was it! Only my opinion (as an actor and someone with a "working" knowledge of directing, camera work etc. etc.) but I thought it was a humungous piece of doggy doo doo's!! Not to mention the fact that they turned a piece of work from possibly the greatest horror author of all time, into a panto!!!

just my ever so humble opinion!

5. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is that your professional critique then?

Anyway I thought you were a copper?!

And as for Lovecraft when the literary going got tough all he could manage was "it was too horrible to describe". Not the sign of a decent author in my book.

6. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,529
    Used to do a fair bit, mostly stage work but done tv, modelling work too. Of course, now I'm too old and ugly....

I thought that Lovecroft's work was pretty scary and very well wrote but again just my opinion.

Oh and, I'm waitin for the Met to give me a start date. I've passed all their exams and test's now just waiting for my start date. It's only been 5 months.... Not as if they are crying out for coppers or advertising a lot or anything.....

7. Test005

Test005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cranked the sattelites up to +5db, no I know what surround is all about :)

Great improvement, cheers!

-Test005-

8. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,185
    maybe the very far away music is 'ambience'.....not every soundtrack has sound pumping out of the rears to remind you they are there!!