1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Normal?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Mindvox, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Mindvox

Mindvox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've not left a static image on the TV for longer than 10 minutes since it arrived this morning, but when I turned my TV on from standby, to my horror, I noticed a field of "No Signal" logo's all over the screen before the screen went darker and made them harder to see.

The "No Signal" icon on my LG has hardly been on screen, yet I can see lots of ghost ones when resuming from standby ... already?!?

They "appear" to have gone away after I left a DVD running (Spider-Man 2) ... couldn't see them when the screen went black, whereas before I could notice them when I went close to the screen. Is this image retention which goes away quickly or is this a sign of burn in???

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I doubt very much you've got any permanent damage yet, so don't have a fit.It does puzzle me why you've got lots of them,this sounds like a very different sort of image retention. Perhaps Stainway can elaborate, he seems pretty clued up on all things LG. Lets' hope you don't have to indulge in some market research for the forum, on LG's after sales service. LG UK do not have a good reputation.

3. stainway

stainway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    It will go away don't worry:)-it is not burn in. It's more some kind of electronic ghost-did you try to check with ISM-white wash? Just watch normal TV for a 1/2 hour and it will be gone.
    I have this sometimes after playing a lot with the menu, but it’s not burn-in-it happen only when you play in dark screen. Often after playing with menu then if I turn it on I see for a very short time the last menu I used and then it goes away. But once again this is not burned to the panel.
    I just finished my calibration with the DVE disk-yesterday and today,but the results are fantastic.Anyway durig this I had few times sort of a chost with the menu,but once again it will go away as soon as you watch some other video signal.

4. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +730
    ignore this.
    sorry

5. Mindvox

Mindvox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't get me wrong, I'd left the No Signal icon (which chooses random spots to locate in a kind of cycle) on screen for maybe 10 minutes at most, so the presence of lots of them is explained.

I put the TV on standby by accident and it was whenever I pressed AV to resume my game of Project Gotham 2 on Xbox that I noticed on the intial grayer screen, the presence of these No Signal ghosts. When the screen went black (onto my user picture settings?), they were no more.

Strange.

6. Mindvox

Mindvox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Stainway. :smashin:

I put on the white wash on ISM, and there's nothing but a big bright white screen ... can't see any No Signal icons or the like.

7. stainway

stainway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    As I said it happen with me also. With the time I think is getting les and les often, but it's nothing to worry about and it is not the phosphor for sure.
    You can see sometimes also text from the menu for a less then a second if you had played for let’s say 15 minutes with the menu, but as soon as you change to normal video signal is gone.
    I use always orbiter in ISM optons (just for any case)

8. Mindvox

Mindvox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was watching Batman Begins and obviously it's a very dark movie. I pressed Setup on my DVD remote to tinker a setting on the DVD player, and it's worth noting that the Denon has a very large, thick white menu outline. I was in the menu for a minute at most, but when I returned to the movie I could see a faint outline of the menu box and some of the big, bold, white words on the menu. This disappeared after a few minutes of normal viewing the movie, but in these early days I'm a little touchy with the Plasma and just making sure everything is being done "properly".

I also left the No Signal icon floating around the screen (black screen) for a couple of minutes and returned to the set being able to see where the No Signal icon had decided to appear on it's rounds, lol. Again, with whitewash, etc these went away in minutes.

9. stainway

stainway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Yes I know what you mean, but you can be safe with brightness around 50-51 (then the screen is real black) and you can use contrast about 52-55.
    I think your brightness is too low and that’s way you see all this screen things.
    It is probably the slow discharge of the pixel cells, i.e. the last image on the screen; it's not the same as image retention or burn in.
    What about the PC, have you connected yet?