1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

normal sky or sky+

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by INchSHOrT, Oct 20, 2004.

1. INchSHOrT

INchSHOrT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Shall I wait until the dvd recorders/hdd come down in price or shall I just go for the sky+.
    Incidentally I have sky installing tommorow, but upon doing the math I have worked out the Sky will cost £240 a year with the min number of channels I want, and sky+ is £480 again with the min number of channels I want.

What do u guys think, LIke I said I need arguments pretty sharpish if I were to cancel ordinary sky.

Cheers for any help

2. Neville Street

Neville Street

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Got to be Sky+. Difficult to explain exactly how fundamentally it will change how you watch TV. It is rare that I buy into the kind of hype that has surrounded it, but it has changed completely how I watch TV. You will never watch something you don't want to watch, you will always have a choice of things you have selected to choose from.

It is flakey, recordings fail from time to time, but the bottom line is that it is revolutionary. The failure rate in my experience is low. I have had the same Sky+ box for two years and it has had no major problems. I get the odd failed recording. It recently decided only 57% of the disk was free when it had no recordings on it, but most things are easily sorted through these forums or Sky customer service.

End of advert!! :)

PS you really want both! 3 months ago I bought a DVD/HDD so I can shift stuff off the Sky+ and edit and keep some things. Not as revolutionary as the Sky+, but a very neat gadget.

3. INchSHOrT

INchSHOrT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks neville, but your last comment has still left me undecided. :(

4. INchSHOrT

INchSHOrT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    also do i still have to subscribe to above £30 a month package after the year is up?
    or can I drop down to £19.50 without paying the extra £10 a month?

5. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    without a doubt sky+

I believe Sky are offering a sky+ package for £99 inc installation.

Sky+ recording capability is only free if you have 2 or more premium channels.

6. INchSHOrT

INchSHOrT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes thanks bobbles, however my query was is the premium channels only applicable for first 12 months, or can I drop it down to bare minimum after 12 months

7. INchSHOrT

INchSHOrT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    its ok I have just phoned sky and resolved my query, basically if u want sky+, you have to pay a minumum of approx £30 a month, for the duration of your contract, I will be just going for normal sky, and wait for a cheap dvd recorder/hdd machine.

8. MJ Invincible

MJ Invincible

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sky+ is not worth it if you are subscribing to less than 2 premium channels, as it costs too much - an extra £120 a year to use sky+ features.

I would suggest buying a DVD/HDD recorder instead (currently around £370 and falling), as you don't require a subscribtion with these, and in my experience, they are a lot more reliable. Plus, you will get a larger hard disc drive (the standard 40gb in sky+ is too little).

:)

9. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree that if you are not interested in either the sports channels or the movies channels then it is probably not worth it.

I have a Tosh XS32 DVDR and Sky+ I could live without the DVDR but you would have to pry my sky+ box out of my dead hands before I would give that up.

With regards the HDD question, it is very simple to upgrade the HDD in sky+ you can replace the standard 40Gb with 250Gb for under a ton.

It really depends what you want it for. Unless you want to archive TV series to disc I really do not see the point of a DVDR

10. MJ Invincible

MJ Invincible

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I agree Bob :) .

I also have sky+ and a DVD/HDD recorder. But as I don't subscribe to 2 premium channels, it is not worth it for me to pay the extra £120 per year. It is far better for me to have the DVD/HDD recorder, as this enables me to archive to DVD-R recordings I want to keep.

If you do intend to subscribe to 2 premium channels or more, sky+ is definitely worth it, as well as getting a DVD recorder if you want to keep the recordings.

It is about time that sky+ should drop the subscribtion, as long as you are a sky channel subscriber. The advantages of having sky+, would make more people choose sky instead of cable and freeview/Top Up TV (to a lesser extent), and they would be less likely to change provider. On top of this, when you consider that all the HDD based recorders currently on the market don't require a subscribtion to operate, then sky+ will eventually be forced to follow.

11. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think that is a logical step.

Regardless of Sky+ I would have all the sports channels which qualifies as 2 prem ones. I actually got the G1 package in which you get all the sports and even movies for the same price as all the sports, crazy.

When dvdr launch next year with sky+ style TV guide you can guarantee sky will drop the 2 premium channel restriction.

12. Neville Street

Neville Street

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Sky+ has so much more than a DVDR alone. It is possible with Sky+ and a terrestrial signal to record two things and watch a third at the same time. With a VHS or DVDR in the frame three things can be recorded at once while a live (or recorded) programme is watched. Granted that it would be difficult to envisage there being that many things worth recording at once, it is possible and has happened a couple of times in the last few months in this house. I think the original poster would find Sky+ a better first step than a DVDR.

Next years DVDR with Freeview tuners and EPG will be a great step forward, but unless they have twin tuners and a really easy, intuitive interface they will still not match Sky+ for ease of use.

I'm with Bobbles, my Tosh could go, but it would get ugly if you tried to take the Sky+ away :)

13. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    £370 is 3 years worth of Sky+ if you don't have 2 premium channels, most people with a HDD/DVDR will replace their machine in this time (yes you will, at least 90% of you). I know its £149 to get Sky+, I'm just trying to put the subscription in perpective. What most people will do is expand their subscription to get 2 premium channels.

For time shifting there is absolutely no comparison, Sky+ is light years ahead, anyone who says differently has never had Sky+. For £150 or less you can get a DVDR (no HDD) which you can archive on.

If timeshifting is important Sky+ is a must. If archiving is more important then go for a HDD/DVDR or Sky+/DVDR, the best combo being Sky+ and HDD/DVDR.

14. INchSHOrT

INchSHOrT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    k, thanks for the pros and cons, I think I am better sticking to sky as I don't want sports or movies, and am looking at a dvdr at the mo, the Liteon LVW5005, and maybe possibly the Liteon 5045 (which looks preetty impressive) when it is released!

15. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,852
    The other main consideration for me is that Sky+ gets rid of the red dot. I wouldn't want to archive stuff to DVD that had that bloody red dot on every recording !

16. MJ Invincible

MJ Invincible

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Firstly, INchSHOrT, I believe you have made the right decision to go for sky, as like me, you would have to pay an extra £120 per year to use the sky+ recording features. IMO this is too much. This way, you can always upgrade to sky+ when they drop the £10 a month subscribtion for your chosen channel package, and also hopefully by then they will be more reliable/cheaper. Hope the sky installation goes well for you today :thumbsup: .

Regarding what sky told you, you will have to pay £10 a month for sky+, or subscribe to 2 or more premium channels. After the initial 12 months are up, you can then choose whether to continue using sky+ recording features by continuing the above, or have it operate without the recording features.

Bobcar, that is a good point you made regarding replacing DVD/HDD recorders offsetting the costs of paying to use sky+ features. I should know, as the first HDD recorder I purchased was a TiVo. Then I got another TiVo, then sky+, and finally a DVD/HDD recorder! So now I have all 4 running at the same time. However, when you buy another DVD/HDD recorder, you can still use the previous one :D .

17. INchSHOrT

INchSHOrT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi MJ, INstallation went good. They used existing cable from analogue sky dish.
    I am still admiring the Liteon LVW 5045......but I don't think it is released yet.

18. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you can always sell your old machine on ebay too when you wish to upgrade. I upgraded from an XS30 to an XS32 for just over £40 when the XS32 was released.

sky+ also records the raw digital stream so does contain the DD5.1 soundtrack on sky movies.

The red dot is a great point I have pretty much obliterated it with sky+ if only it could do the same for all DOGS. It is a good point why do you need a DOG on a programme you have recorded? That is another issue.

19. Neville Street

Neville Street

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    whats a DOG?

20. MJ Invincible

MJ Invincible

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's good to hear INchSHOrT :clap: . The advantage of them using the existing cable (assuming it is okay) is that the installation is quicker and they don't need to drill a hole.

Personally, I wouldn't get the Liteon. If I was to buy another DVD/HDD recorder (currently got a Sharp), I would most probably go for Panasonic, as I believe they make the best ones for the UK market, and are the most reliable and easy to use :) .

21. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    "Digital Originated Graphics", the logos and other things they plaster all over the screen, eg "sky onc".

22. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    some are worse than others. FX is huge and some channels thing it is a good idea to advertise future programmes on them.