Normal or widescreen?

SteveHi

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello

Is it possible by clicking on an image and then going to mouse right-click | Properties to determine if a digital camera is set at normal or widescreen?

I have downloaded some photos from one camera which download at 5312 x 2988 px and a resolution of 72) and other photos from a different camera which download at 2488 x 3264 px and a resolution of 96).

Are the first set of dimensions set at widescreen, please? They will be used in a movie which is
normal not widescreen.

Thank you.

Thanks for letting me know.

I will have to ask a moderator to move it.

Steve

Don't moderators normally transfer incorrectly posted questions to the correct board?

"Normal" hasn't been normal in the UK for a while, but it was usually an aspect ration of 4:3 (4 units across to 3 vertical)
4/3 = 1.3333
16:9 is widescreen format
16/9 = 1.777

Your pictures are
5312 / 2988 px = 1.777 (so widescreen)
2488 / 3264 px = 0.76 (3:4 or normal but portrait orientation)
If you meant
3264 wide / 2488 high = 1.312 which is (4:3 or near enough not to make any difference).

1920 wide Ă— 1080 high is Full HD in widescreen so you have plenty more pixels in your image than you need for a Full HD video file.

Last edited:
I can't find anything to list what ratio the pics were taken at but it's easy enough to do the math as AMc has done :smashin:

Hello

Is it possible by clicking on an image and then going to mouse right-click | Properties to determine if a digital camera is set at normal or widescreen?

I have downloaded some photos from one camera which download at 5312 x 2988 px and a resolution of 72) and other photos from a different camera which download at 2488 x 3264 px and a resolution of 96).

Are the first set of dimensions set at widescreen, please? They will be used in a movie which is
normal not widescreen.

Thank you.

You can't tell exactly unless you assume the pixel aspect ratio used to display the image correctly is square (1:1). They usually are but not always.

Example a 4:3 frame from a DVD will normally have 720 x 576 pixels, so will a 16:9 frame. The difference is the pixel aspect ratio contained in the data is different.

Pixel aspect ratio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The resolution is not involved. All it tells you is how large the image will be if printed/viewed with a 1:1 pixel relationship.

You can't tell exactly unless you assume the pixel aspect ratio used to display the image correctly is square (1:1). They usually are but not always.

Example a 4:3 frame from a DVD will normally have 720 x 576 pixels, so will a 16:9 frame. The difference is the pixel aspect ratio contained in the data is different.

Pixel aspect ratio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The resolution is not involved. All it tells you is how large the image will be if printed/viewed with a 1:1 pixel relationship.
Digital cameras have square pixels. Pixel aspect ratio is irrelevant for photos taken on digital cameras.

Digital cameras have square pixels. Pixel aspect ratio is irrelevant for photos taken on digital cameras.

Depends on the camera.

They usually are but not always:(

The photos taken by my several HD camcorders can be 4:3 or 16:9 just like SD Video (I take it they qualify as digital cameras ? ). It's also relevant when using Photoshop to provide artwork.

Another example 1440 x 1080 a common HD format do not have a PAR of 1:1.

It's not my fault you left out a key item of information. :eek:

Personally I wouldn't say a camcorder is a digital camera. I would say it is a video camera that can take stills. Therefore I would say every digital camera has square pixels. I don't know about camcorders.

You can change the aspect ratio of photos on many digital cameras but it doesn't change the fact that the pixels are square in them. It just changes which pixels are used for the image.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom