Normal lounge - Wife friendly home cinema!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by gary71, Feb 20, 2014.

1. gary71

gary71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I've had a couple of questions posted to me after I stuck up a picture on Pingpongs build thread so thought I should start my own.

I've been a dedicated 2ch HiFi fan for ever, but have never made the leap to a decent home cinema setup despite a short term dabble with a surround set up many years back that was so poor it was abandoned.

After many years of negotiation and continued frustration with popcorn rustling in cinemas I finally got permission to build in a screen and surround set up.

As with many of these setups it has to wife friendly i.e subtle (ish!) and easy to use. The room also can't be black!

After an expensive visit to Allan at Ideal AV we have bought a Epson 7200 projector and Draper React II screen (due to be delivered any day now!). That took out the entire budget and then some so the sound side of things was going to have to be a bit more creative.

I'm currently running Audiolab amps into some elderly (but still wonderful!) Kef reference floor standers so the front side of things was fine. I've supplemented them with a Kef Q600 centre which doesn't quite meet the 'subtle' brief but I'm not prepared to tolerate muffled speech!

For the rear and surround I've built Monitor Audio CP speakers into a pelmet that goes around the room to house the screen, down lights, RGB strip and cabling. The projector is built into a box within the pelmet.

I'm an engineer by trade and have a tendency to overbuild so this pelmet will survive a nuclear strike!

Projector box in build: This may be a touch excessive in the strength department...
    [​IMG]

Pelmet under construction:
    [​IMG]

Pelmet partially up:
    [​IMG]

Speakers in situ for testing
    [​IMG]

Final fit and painted up ready for wallpaper:
    [​IMG]

Decorating has still to be finished, but it's all coming together. I'm just hoping I've measured up properly for the screen as it's all prepared and waiting complete with mounting brackets on the wall...

2. Bshal

Bshal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Nicely done mate. I think we think we got similar ideas on soffits and making sure mrs is happy. :) Can't wait to get my downlighters installed this week. Also did you use LED rope light or strip light and where did you buy it from as I need to buy mine soon. Thanks.

3. gary71

gary71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I started out with rope light, but it gave off a nasty smell every time it warmed up, so that went back...

They I used some white LED strip that my wife didn't like the colour of...

So now we have RGB strip that can't do a convincing shade of warm white that she was really after so I may have to change it again :)

The controller and power supply I bought from Visualchillout SupraTTman on this site.
    The actual strips were from ebay seller name 'sourcingforyou'. They will take a best offer on the strips so you don't have to go in at full price ;)

4. Bshal

Bshal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the info. I was just about to buy LED rope light but thanks for telling me that as I am not fond of smells as well. I have been looking around and LED strip light seems to be the best option. My total length for led strip light is going to be something like 13.3m so it also kind of makes sense to get 15m led strip light and cut the unwanted length off.

5. djmike

djmike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Gary71 liking your pelmet design just started my lounge and was going to add a pelmet round the room, wondered if you could tell me how far from the wall your pelmet is and how far down from the ceiling you came and also how high the front part of it is that hides the LED strip lighting.

With regards to projector screen how is this hidden within in your pelmet any pictures would be great.

Good luck with the build

6. 00Paul00

00Paul00

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +232
    Nice job. Looks like we'll have similar builds if I ever finish. Except, by the look of your projector shelf, mine will fall down first. Making me nervous now!!

7. dasherdiablo1

dasherdiablo1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I think I rather like that - I am just planning my new install and I am working on a similar box out section around the perimeter to put the downlighters in (this is because I have a section of flat roof that requires insulation and this way it won't interfere with the thermal/acoustic insulation). Also it will make it easier for future cable runs should they be required. Top job and you have helped me visualise a potential solution.

8. djmike

djmike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    just wondered what thickness mdf your using, and how your pelmet is supported is it just fixed to the batten which in turn is fixed to the wall, wondered if this is enough as I see you have the speakers in your pelmet as well

9. matthewcarlrose

matthewcarlrose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    What speakers are you using?

10. gary71

gary71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Evening all, sorry for not replying earlier, I've been off being trained in something or other!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It sticks out 220mm and is 150mm from the ceiling. There is a 40mm gap at the top

The size is based on the minimum I could get away with to hide the screen and for it (and the speakers) not to foul the existing coving as I wasn't taking all that down!

It's rigid enough once bolted to the wall not to sag, even over the 5m length down the room.

No pictures of the finished job as yet as I'm still waiting for the screen to turn up, so I'm really hoping it is the same size as shown on the technical drawing... :) It's going to go in this gap:

[​IMG]

(yes I know the TV isn't in the middle... it used to be before I rearranged the room around a big screen!)

It will be hung from these big steel brackets so the actual pelmet won't be doing any of the work.

[​IMG]

Then this bit will get fixed in front of it:

[​IMG]

This beam is still pretty rigid despite being unsupported in the middle, if it does sag a bit the frame of the screen should still keep it all straight and square.

The MDF is 12mm thick. The 25mm x 38mm batten was glued and screwed to the MDF first then fixed to the wall. The walls aren't quite flat of course so in hindsight the batten should have gone on the wall first so it could flex, once fixed to the MDF it's completely rigid. I ended up planing it locally to make it sit flush. It also has a little cornice (actually laminate floor edging) to make the join to the wall look more integrated.

The vertical part of the pelmet is also 12mm MDF but the batten is smaller at 16mm x 28mm, all screwed and glued together. As can be seen from the picture in the earlier post the front went on last once all the wiring and everything was in. Then the screw heads and gaps were filled and the whole thing painted up.

B&Q cut all the pelmet strips to my dimensions included in the cost of the sheet which saved me masses of time and effort, not to mention being way more accurate than I could do myself.

It's plenty strong enough for the speakers, which only just fit. The pelmet should have been about 10mm wider for comfort. As the speakers are towards the corners they are in a very rigid area of the pelmet.

They are Monitor Audio CP Radius which I picked on the basis of size, that they were a closed box design hence could be mounted happily in free air and of course budget! They were £260 for the four.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  11. DeadBeat

DeadBeat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I would also love to see a bit more and more detail on you rpelmet, im planning a similar setup and yours looks to have come together really well

my biggest question is how you fastened it to the wall?

also some dimensions and finally, have you screwed trough the mdf at all? did you then just fill sand and paint?

thanks

edit you posted while I typed!!

great info thanks

12. gary71

gary71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Evening, It's held to the wall with lots of big screws into 10mm Rawlplugs as you can see in the bracket close up picture. There is one about every 130mm. The wall is plasterboard onto a timber frame.

It's definitely overkill but not every single screw/Rawlplug works 100% so even with a few loose ones it's well and truly on there.

The MDF is screwed and glued vertically to the batten on the wall, the vertical bit of the pelmet is screwed horizontally to the other batten which in turn is screwed vertically horizontal bit of the pelmet... If that makes sense! You can see it in the before paint pictures at the top of the thread.

All the heads are countersunk and filled with deep gap Polyfilla prior to paint with normal matt emulsion, no special primer just several coats with a brush first, sand back then finish coats with a roller.

13. djmike

djmike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Thanks very much for the informative info and of course pictures. I'm surprised the pelmet doesn't sag over that 5M length which is good news as im definitely going to be adding this to my living room

with regards to the boxing out around the projector screen is there going to be a slot cut out in the base of the pelmet to allow the screen to drop down

Great work by the way keep the pictures coming

14. gary71

gary71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    It's not a slot as such, the batten on the wall and the little bit of MDF screwed to the bottom is the back, the wider bits of MDF sticking out either side are the sides and the other long bit is the front.

15. djmike

djmike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I think I know what you mean, any close up pictures would help greatly, thanks again for your helpful replies looking forward to seeing the finished artical

16. DeadBeat

DeadBeat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Could you post a picture of it in the day time with the lights off, woudl like to see what it looks like when its not illuminated

thanks

17. djmike

djmike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Hi Gary

Did you use the same thickness MDF for the projector box as you did for the plinth, also was it easy to wire your led strip lighting into your mains, not sure how to do it myself any tips would be great

18. gary71

gary71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Sorry, I missed this post and it's dark again now! I'll try at the weekend.

Yes, same thickness (12mm), although the timbers are doing all the strength work, the MDF is just the outside surface holding it all together.

The LED lights are pretty easy. I dug out the wiring from my wall lights and pulled it back up to the top of the wall through a hole (this was a right pain!). This connects to the 12v transformer via screw terminals. That in turn connects to a RGB amplifier (which has the remote control sensor connected to it) and then onto the lights themselves which are joined via chocolate blocks at each corner of the pelmet.

The transformer sits inside the pelmet just to the left of the screen. The idea being that if it dies I can get to it through the screen aperture (after taking the screen down of course, not a 5 minute job!)

19. djmike

djmike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Thanks for that

20. DeadBeat

DeadBeat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    that would be great if you could! thanks

21. supraTTman

supraTTman
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +166
    The 2 million colour controller gives you a lot more control of the R G & B channels than the 30,000 colour type you have, producing many shades of white.

22. gary71

gary71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  23. gary71

gary71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Finally got my React screen up and fitted :) luckily it was exactly as the technical drawing so bolted straight onto the brackets I had already fitted to the wall.

No controller as yet so a nice safe chocolate block connector on a bit of mains flex is standing in. Maybe telling my wife to play with mains cable wiring each time she wants the screen down is going outside the 'wife friendly' remit...

Unfortunately my HDMI cable from amp to projector (a long one) appears to have died after being fitted up into the pelmet as the projector is flagging 'not recognised' so I've ordered a powered replacement as it maybe length related. It worked when I tested it though!

Now to finish the painting and decorating :)

24. gary71

gary71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    First picture of it approximately in place. React screen with no border (a bit controversial it would seem) , black bottom bar, decorating not done yet! Wall behind will be very dark brown patterned wall paper.

[​IMG]

Edge to edge picture (nearly) 108.5" diagonal at 16:9
    [​IMG]

25. gary71

gary71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Decorating and pelmet paint finally done late last night. Just need to hide the cables under the carpet, refit the PIR properly and tidy up a bit.

TV Mode:

[​IMG]

Cinema Mode:

[​IMG]

26. 00Paul00

00Paul00

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +232
    Excellent job. Very nice indeed well done!

27. mooky

mooky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very nice mate. I like your pelmet & might borrow that idea for some soft lighting.

How did you get the curved edge on the horizontal piece? Router?

Thanks

28. gary71

gary71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Thanks for the positive comments :)

The curved edge is achieved by simply running a plane down the edge to put a decent sized chamfer on then 80 grit sandpaper to break the corners and round it off. It's not 100% consistent but it's close enough even for my level of OCD!

29. djmike

djmike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    very nice indeed, don't suppose you could take a picture of the gap where the screen drops down from

Many Thanks

30. gary71

gary71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    There is no gap as such it's all within the case of the screen, there is a big flange around the screen case that overlaps the MDF pelmet.