Normal analogue and Sky TV on HDTV - how good ?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by RecordablDVDfan, Mar 25, 2006.

1. RecordablDVDfan

RecordablDVDfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Does this upscalling I keep reading about actually help or hinder analogue and normal SD TV via a sky box when viewing on a HDTV ? (no freeview where I am) Can it be turned off ? When I saw Sky News on a 32" LCD a few weeks ago in Richer Sounds the quality looked appauing. Very blocky, not setup right I presume or what ?

2. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +920
    Upscaling can't be switched off on LCDs and Plasmas - as they are inherently "pixel" based screeens. If you didn't up-scale the image you'd end up with a small 720x576 picture in the middle of the (1024x720->1920x1080)screen surrounded by black.

There are arguments that the blockiness you see on LCDs and Plasmas is because they are displaying the poor quality of the compression more clearly - showing you every detail, including those you don't want to see. There are other arguments that MPEG2 compression was designed in the days of interlaced displays, so the compression artefacts were optimised for interlaced displays - and LCDs and most plasmas are inherently progressive, so you aren't just up-scaling, you're de-interlacing as well.

There is also an argument that some of the de-interlacing is pants...

Quite a few displays, like the Panasonics, have filtering that can be switched in to reduce the visibility of block edges - but it softens the real high frequency detail a bit as well.

3. DynaMight

DynaMight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    First thing I noticed when I went from my old 32" tube screen to my 32" HD LCD screen is just how bad things looked, I found it VERY hard to notice any artifacts/blocks etc on my old TV, now I notice them all the time. So you now NEED HDTV just to bring the quailty back :) :( :suicide: