• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Norfolk - Any recommendations for places to stay / visit?

Chadford

Distinguished Member
...never been before and have a day or two in the area next week, any recommendations for places to stop and places to visit?
Anything like York or Whitby - that sort of thing.

D

Deleted member 293381

Great Yarmouth.

I kid you not - it's changed and good for restaurants etc. Good base to work from to visit places around and about (Norfolk Broads etc).

Local Council have spent millions in Yarmouth and it has improved - IMO good for 1 week's visit.

John 1987

Great Yarmouth! Only go there if you enjoy the tackiest of British seaside towns. It's not great. Maybe half a day or so, stroll up the beach front, go to the sea life centre etc. But no more than a day. There are much nicer beaches, such as gorleston on sea next door. But as the weather is not exactly beach whether I would recommend you go to the proper Norfolk cost (North) up and around Wells next the Sea, good country side, and a nice Country House where they filmed Keira Knightley's The Duchess I believe.

Norwich itself is well worth a good exploration. 'Tomb Land' down near the C of E Cathedral is beautiful.

I'll try and remember a few other places.

Edit: http://www.visitnorfolk.co.uk/norfolk/default.aspx

Last edited:

Gunhawk

Distinguished Member
I live in Norwich, what sort of things were you planning on doing? sightseeing? Lazing about at the coast? enjoying a few pubs, shopping?

Into National Trust type things? Grand homes etc?

is this a family adventure, or just you/couple?

:thumbsup:

GaryB

Distinguished Member
I go to Yarmouth regularly - my brother lives there. It's like some of the rougher bits of London - on sea.

Jamezinho

Distinguished Member
The Broads
Thetford Forest
Cromer
Wells-next-the-sea
Sheringham,

and Norwich itself is a nice city......it pains me to say being from Ipswich.

nvingo

Distinguished Member
Sandringham house, Holkham Hall, EcoTech centre (climb the turbine) at Swaffham.

Beddie

There's an old restored railway line from Sheringham to Holt which has steam days. Absolutely brilliant to ride in the old carriages and be pulled by an old locomotive, and I am not "into" trains but this was great.

Also recommend Wells next the Sea for fish & chips! Yarmouth is ok for a stroll along the sea front, a visit to the Sea Life centre and Amazonia reptiles, but is more like Blackpool/Southend than the more genteel resorts.

Thetford Forest is good for a bike ride, you can hire them or take your own. Or if you like heights you can "Go Ape" at Thetford where you can zip-wire between the trees, very enjoyable.

Chadford

Distinguished Member
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

I live in Norwich, what sort of things were you planning on doing? sightseeing? Lazing about at the coast? enjoying a few pubs, shopping?
Into National Trust type things? Grand homes etc?
is this a family adventure, or just you/couple?
:thumbsup:

It's just me and the missus. We've a few days booked here...
- The Landmark Trust | Booking a property
...near Bedford. We have a couple of days holiday beforehand and since neither of us have been to Norfolk before we just fancied having a look round.

So based on your suggestions and a bit of a trawl on t'internet we'll probably...

1) Book somewhere to stay in Wells-next-the-sea.
2) Visit Sheringham, Cromer, Yarmouth and Norwich. (Sounds like Yarmouth is a bit like Scarborough? ;) )
3) Love to see the Broads.
4) Really fancy the EcoTech centre - climb the turbine. :thumbsup:
5) Thetford forest seems worth a look.

Thanks again. :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom