1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nordost THOR

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Knightshade, Oct 1, 2005.

1. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Don't normally think too much of Nordosts products but here's one that actually does exactly what it says on the tin.
    Anyone else own or tried one?

2. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    what does it claim to do then?

3. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Claims to be a power filter and the usual extra bits.
    Pleasantly surprised to find the claims to be somewhere near truth. Had a problem with rather boomy bass on a set of speakers today. Usual addition of Blutac on the stands, toeing in, distances from wall etc improved things nicely but amazingly enough this REALLY tightened things up to the point of shock. I will point out that the cables were all normal kettle leads.
    Just thought I'd share a good experience.

4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    good news, what is it delaing with and is there a better / different way of dealing with this problem (ie cheaper?)

5. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Without going into the flights of fancy and usual bull that goes with raving about things.
    Problem was as decribed above. Woolly, boomy, bass due to (I believe) a slightly underpowered amp. This device tightened the bass and improved the seperation around instruments in quite a big way.
    Other devices tried were the Monster (Something or other) - No difference between it and mains.
    Isotek substation again no real improvement from mains.
    The bitch is it's £1600 retail but it actually does work. I've always used a UPS for power cleaning in the past and never really been able to tell any difference between the Isoteks and the UPS or the standard mains (I have dedicated spurs anyway) Trouble is with this thing I'm finding it easier to follow subtle variations in complex musical pieces. This is all new for me because I've always found these things are a load of hype and not much else.

I think there are a couple of American companies playing around with the technology at the moment but as far as i'm aware the Thor is the only one available. I also get the impression that no one really understands why it works not even the designers....

6. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    what I am struggling with is what problem (s) it is fixing, any idea?

7. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Nic,
    You know how sometimes you know a speaker very well? You know how it should sound and what it's capable of. You therefore know when it doesn't sound right. The particular speakers were Revel M32's. They are not the most sensitive of speakers but when driven by a powerful/good enough amp they sound superb. Well these were driven by a Linn Kinos/Chakra 2100 combination. The bass as I have said was woolly and boomy.
    Adding the Thor mains conditioner cured this problem.
    Simple as that.

8. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Got me interested now....

9. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Wouldn't you say that Linn equipment in general suffers from great bass control anyway? Always sounding a bit woolly and loose.... something of a trademark for their sound I would say.

Linn I'm sure would disagree but having heard much of their equipment against competition and at HiFi shows their sound is distinctive in this manner.

10. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I'd have to disagree with you on the bass front. I don't know too much about the entry level equipment but certainly the high end equipment lacks nothing. I've yet to hear a better sounding amp than the Chakra 500 solo.
    Hi Fi shows aren't really the best places to listen as you're probably aware. I will say that Linn usually sounds pretty poor at the shows. If that's the only place you've heard it then you would certainly think that it's a poor performer.
    The post wasn't really to do with how Linn gear sounds. It's more what the power conditioner did for them.

11. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    In answer to your reply I was going to mention in my thread that some Linn gear actually escapes the mould. Don't ask me why they've actually managed to design something different but a few examples I can think of... of times past are... Linn Klout amp and Linn Karik/Numerik CD and of further back their Linn Sara speakers.

Yes Hi-Fi shows are not the best place to audition things and at times I've heard their gear performing rather badly but that really does not account for consistancy in the way it sounds year after year.

FWIW I own a Linn Sondek and a Linn Lingo and this certainly performs to these criteria. The Phono stage they make the Linto also conforms to this trademark, as compared many moons ago in direct demonstration.

I have to say tho' I know not much about the Chakra and therefore as you own it know it's strength's well but as you were actually stating the THOR tightens up the bass loosing the woolly nature you described I'd say that the Chakra actually demonstrates these qualitys too.

It would seem odd tho' that this is the case since Linn use their propriatry *Brilliant* switch mode psu which provides a very good rejection from mains problems.

12. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    To be honest it was only the second time i'd heard the new Chakra range. They are a long way from the Chakra Twins and Solos and certainly don't stack up to the old Kairn/Klouts but they are the budget range.
    Indeed. This is why (I thought) i've never noticed any difference with a dedicated spur/UPS. I haven't tried with Torroid based amps yet but it does the same thing with Chords switch mode amps too.

13. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I don't actually own the amps that were used.