NORD power amplifiers

Is there a sensible process to determine how much power per channel one should specify?

My (To Be) Speakers say:

LCR - Up to 300W RMS @ 4ohm
Surrounds - Up to 400W RMS @ 4ohm

So do I need to exceed that per Channel on a Nord or is there some calculation method? Thanks Neil.

Typically you only need a few watts to reach high levels however with more power at peaks you have reserve.

Pretty much 100w per channel is enough.

It's fine also using a amp that is powerful

Is there a sensible process to determine how much power per channel one should specify?

My (To Be) Speakers say:

LCR - Up to 300W RMS @ 4ohm
Surrounds - Up to 400W RMS @ 4ohm

So do I need to exceed that per Channel on a Nord or is there some calculation method? Thanks Neil.

You do not state your speaker's efficiency, that, along with your listening levels is critical in deciding just how much power you need. What you most definitely need to avoid is driving an amplifier into clipping by asking too much of it, that is the most likely way to kill a speaker other than abuse.

There are guides such as this Crown Audio - Professional Power Amplifiers that can give you an idea, but this is for open air, you can reduce the amount needed by at least 3dB on top of this for room gain, depending on the level of absorbative room treatment applied.

You do not state your speaker's efficiency, that, along with your listening levels is critical in deciding just how much power you need. What you most definitely need to avoid is driving an amplifier into clipping by asking too much of it, that is the most likely way to kill a speaker other than abuse.

There are guides such as this Crown Audio - Professional Power Amplifiers that can give you an idea, but this is for open air, you can reduce the amount needed by at least 3dB on top of this for room gain, depending on the level of absorbative room treatment applied.
Hmm when I use the tool it says I only need 1W !

Speakers Sensitivity = 88.7dB/2.83v/1m so 88.7
Distance = 3m
Desired level = 75db
Amp Headroom = 3db
Recommended Amp Power = 1W

Does that make sense? Therefore the smallest NORD 5 channel at 125W would be good enough?

75 is low dB output that's like low background level.

Peaks could be 100db or so or more if listen to reference

Don't forget you have to account for multiple speakers so that means each speaker plays lower dB.

Worst case scenario would be playing a mono movie solely from center so that means that is highest power output from one single channel.

You need somewhere between. 45w and 450w
Depending on dB output. 95 dB for former 105db for latter.

I can't find the usual calculator though as that has multiple apeaker option.

Hmm when I use the tool it says I only need 1W !

Speakers Sensitivity = 88.7dB/2.83v/1m so 88.7
Distance = 3m
Desired level = 75db
Amp Headroom = 3db
Recommended Amp Power = 1W

Does that make sense? Therefore the smallest NORD 5 channel at 125W would be good enough?

75 is low dB output that's like low background level.

Peaks could be 100db or so or more if listen to reference

Don't forget you have to account for multiple speakers so that means each speaker plays lower dB.

Worst case scenario would be playing a mono movie solely from center so that means that is highest power output from one single channel.
Thanks both. When I plug in some peaks at 100db then the power goes to 242W which I am assuming means the Nord 250W modules per channel.

Thanks both. When I plug in some peaks at 100db then the power goes to 242W which I am assuming means the Nord 250W modules per channel.

Is it for Arednals 1723s? If so I am using them with MP252 modules and they are doing fine but by looking at those calculators I would need something like 500W for peaks to 105db? at 3db headroom and 1500W for 18db headroom :D

Amplifier Power Calculator

Maybe I should have gone with 500W modules? hmm... oh well, too late now ;) (speakers are rated for up to 300RMS amp power)

Is it for Adrenals 1723s? If so I am using them with MP252 modules and they are doing fine but by looking at those calculators I would need something like 500W for peaks to 105db? as 3db headroom and 1500W for 18db headroom :D

Maybe I should have gone with 500W modules? hmm... oh well, too late now ;)
Yes Arendal 1723S LCR and 1723 Towers for Rears due to space and positioning.

Is it for Arednals 1723s? If so I am using them with MP252 modules and they are doing fine but by looking at those calculators I would need something like 500W for peaks to 105db? at 3db headroom and 1500W for 18db headroom :D

Maybe I should have gone with 500W modules? hmm... oh well, too late now ;) (speakers are rated for up to 300RMS amp power)
I'm not sure that calculator takes into account room and boundary gains. Perhaps it's correct for an anechoic chamber? This one includes room gain and also multiple speakers:

HB

I'm not sure that calculator takes into account room and boundary gains. Perhaps it's correct for an anechoic chamber? This one includes room gain and also multiple speakers:

HB
Thanks - using yours I dont appear to need more than 125W per channel.

HB
That is much more reasonable. Thank you.

Thanks - using yours I dont appear to need more than 125W per channel.

Each speaker needs to be capable of peaks of 105dB at the MLP for those occasions, admittedly infrequent, where just the one channel is being deployed. Mostly that tends to be one of the main channels but against that, if you rarely listen at 'Reference', that can be reduced a little. The MP252 modules should be fine.

Each speaker needs to be capable of peaks of 105dB at the MLP for those occasions, admittedly infrequent, where just the one channel is being deployed. Mostly that tends to be one of the main channels but against that, if you rarely listen at 'Reference', that can be reduced a little. The MP252 modules should be fine.
And would you reduce to the MP122 modules for Atmos only?

I get 105db from 87
And would you reduce to the MP122 modules for Atmos only?

I worked out I need about 60w into 8ohm for rear Atmos speakers 87db sensitivity to reach 105db. That's with two speaker set

Also the speakers are 4ohm so that means more power from the amp. The amp was tested at 75w into ohm so should give 50% into 4 ohm

I get 105db from 87

I worked out I need about 60w into 8ohm for rear Atmos speakers 87db sensitivity to reach 105db. That's with two speaker set

Also the speakers are 4ohm so that means more power from the amp. The amp was tested at 75w into ohm so should give 50% into 4 ohm

Not with class-d tough. It does not double down.

Mines class ab
Sure but we are in class-d amp thread. I wanted to clarify so nobody gets confused about what those babies can and cannot do.

Sure but we are in class-d amp thread. I wanted to clarify so nobody gets confused about what those babies can and cannot do.
They basically double, the name of each donates the performance at 4ohms, 8ohm performance is just above half of that.

They basically double, the name of each donates the performance at 4ohms, 8ohm performance is just above half of that.
Are you talking about the Hypex NCore versions?

Are you talking about the Hypex NCore versions?
Yeh, not sure about others but since that was what the OP was talking about I though it was relevant, I know my Rotel D-class amp was also the same though, although that was 100W @8ohm and 200w@4ohm so exactly double.

Yeh, not sure about others but since that was what the OP was talking about I though it was relevant, I know my Rotel D-class amp was also the same though, although that was 100W @8ohm and 200w@4ohm so exactly double.
Ok, thanks. I looked at the NCore ones and it looks like they're about 80-85% efficient (they don't double, it's about 1.83x). So better than most for sure.

My speakers are pretty heavy loads and have low impedance swings so it's something I look for and I've looked at Nord's but didn't remember them being "doublers", which is why I was questioning it. That and I'm pedantic :)

I see on the Nord website they offer WBT-0703Cu binding posts as an upgrade, anyone thinks this is worth it? (Triple NC500DM).
No too happy with the standard CHK posts and think my banana plugs have a lot looser fit compared to some other amps I have.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom