NORD power amplifiers

Ashmanuk

Hi all just to say I have my first Nord amp arrived today, the 4 channel NC502 this will drive my surrounds and surround backs.

And today i Will be placing the order for the 3 channel mk2 Ncore NC500 with the Sonic Imagery 990s and 12v trigger.

Really looking forward to that.

I have been Bryston in all channels for more than 25 years so I do feel a bit nervous to be honest but every time I hear the latest forms of Hypex there's just something about the sound.

This is all a gamble but all that I have read is all positive.

How are you all getting on with sound of your amps??

barwell1992

Has anyone tried the Nord One SE PRE-A Pre Amplifer? I'm looking for a pre to replace my Rotel that i use for music but must have HT bypass and these seem to be a decent price.

dfdd

not tried the pre amp, however I have not heard anything to better the power amps at sensible money-superb gear and service

Shimrod

This is all a gamble but all that I have read is all positive.

How are you all getting on with sound of your amps??

I'm still enjoying mine and have no plans to change. I agree it is a gamble buying blind, but like yourself I could not find a bad review for the Hypex based amps. I kept my last amp for over 10 years, so the only way these will be replaced is if one fails.

fatboy frank

I'm still enjoying mine and have no plans to change. I agree it is a gamble buying blind, but like yourself I could not find a bad review for the Hypex based amps. I kept my last amp for over 10 years, so the only way these will be replaced is if one fails.
I've enjoyed mine immensely, it's never missed a beat and the sound to my ears is fantastic. I would only consider changing it for the equivalently specced MK11 and adding another 4 or 8 channel to my setup.

Jay130984

I feel there fantastic value, great sounding
Seem to improve for what ever the reasons after plenty of hours
Give them time and you will be very impressed, as i am

Ashmanuk

Ashmanuk

barwell1992 how are you getting on with your Nord 3 channel amp?
Would love to hear your thoughts

Ashmanuk

Considering my current setup and circumstances, this would be my choice for the front three.

https://www.nordacoustics.co.uk/product-page/nord-one-mp-nc500-2-4-channels-black
Hi Dodge this is what I'm in using at the moment for LCR they are only down to 80hz but the detail is bloody amazing for the money, and the background detail gets me every time I listen, always thinking I know a track well then I hear something I generally don't think I've heard before.

DodgeTheViper

Hi Dodge this is what I'm in using at the moment for LCR they are only down to 80hz but the detail is bloody amazing for the money, and the background detail gets me every time I listen, always thinking I know a track well then I hear something I generally don't think I've heard before.
Interesting. I know it’s only a base model but the spec looks really good for the price.

Ashmanuk

Interesting. I know it’s only a base model but the spec looks really good for the price.
I honestly don't think you will be disappointed! Bags of detail and not harsh, though I will say at first will sound that way until 48hrs then after a week just gets smoother.

DodgeTheViper

I honestly don't think you will be disappointed! Bags of detail and not harsh, though I will say at first will sound that way until 48hrs then after a week just gets smoother.
That’s what I’ve wondered tbh, are they harsh sounding in delivering that detail at higher volume levels. I do like a bit of volume in my listening but I don’t want it to be fatiguing over a period of time.

Looking at alternatives they do look pretty good.

dfdd

no harshness at all, no fatigue-clean accurate sound across the whole frequency range- there's a 3 channel in the classifieds at the moment-well worth snapping up

DodgeTheViper

no harshness at all, no fatigue-clean accurate sound across the whole frequency range- there's a 3 channel in the classifieds at the moment-well worth snapping up
That’s good to know and very promising. Which one do you have ?

dfdd

500 up models. 3 channels for front 3 speakers-superb power amps-doubt you will need to upgrade after them.

Ashmanuk

Dodge that Nord in classified is good value at £1600 believe it's revision C and those Op Amps Sonic Imagery really set it apart also in the future you can upgrade that amp to revision D

DodgeTheViper

500 up models. 3 channels for front 3 speakers-superb power amps-doubt you will need to upgrade after them.
I’m looking at the base model I think.

Dodge that Nord in classified is good value at £1600 believe it's revision C and those Op Amps Sonic Imagery really set it apart also in the future you can upgrade that amp to revision D
Yeah I appreciate that but I don’t have XLR Outputs, not at the moment anyway and I don’t want to do the RCA/XLR conversion/adaptor.

fatboy frank

Yep it is ...... and it's mine :D
In all seriousness though, i'm not in a rush to sell it, it really is a fantastic sounding amp and the only reason i'm letting it go, is to replace it with the MK11

Shimrod

That’s what I’ve wondered tbh, are they harsh sounding in delivering that detail at higher volume levels. I do like a bit of volume in my listening but I don’t want it to be fatiguing over a period of time.

Looking at alternatives they do look pretty good.
I have 7.1.4 with all the speakers powered by the NC252 amplifiers. A bit less power, but still no issues driving KEF R500 at loud volumes. The clarity and detail these amplifiers produce is amazing. After initial set up, I put on one of our favourites (Olafur Arnalds - Particles) and at the end both me and Mrs Shimrod just turned to each other and said 'wow'. I can't recall ever having had that reaction before with a piece of hi-fi.

These amplifiers are the best I have heard, and the only way they are getting replace is in the event of failure.

DodgeTheViper

I have 7.1.4 with all the speakers powered by the NC252 amplifiers. A bit less power, but still no issues driving KEF R500 at loud volumes. The clarity and detail these amplifiers produce is amazing. After initial set up, I put on one of our favourites (Olafur Arnalds - Particles) and at the end both me and Mrs Shimrod just turned to each other and said 'wow'. I can't recall ever having had that reaction before with a piece of hi-fi.

These amplifiers are the best I have heard, and the only way they are getting replace is in the event of failure.
That’s good to know :smashin: