1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Norah Jones

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by Daneel, Jan 31, 2003.

1. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Can someone check something for me on her album please?

I seem to be hearing a few harsh sounds coming from several tracks on this CD. I'm trying to work out whether there is a problem with my particular CD or if they are all like that.

I don't think it's my sound system as I can hear the same thing to varying degrees on my computer system, through my hi-fi and my head phones.

A particularly clear instance of this is on the track Don't Know Why at 1:13, while singing the word "on". I think the sound comes from the left speaker more than the right.

If anyone could check this for me it would be much appreciated.

2. Sgt.Colon

Sgt.Colon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Daneel.

I will have a listen tonight when I get home and report back with my findings :)

3. SOUNDSTYLE

SOUNDSTYLE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Just had a listen for you.
    No problem at all. When she sings the word 'on' it comes from dead centre.
    Hope that helps.:)

4. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Sorry, I wasn't clear.

When I said the "sound" comes from the left, I meant the harsh sound. It's almost like interference, and it happens at any volume level. It doesn't sound like it is supposed to be there.

It's not part of the word "on", it's in addition to the voice/instruments and comes just before it moves from 1:13 to 1:14

5. adox

adox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it could be the sound of the snare drum, as alot of the tracks on that album are recored with the drummer using brushes instead of sticks, which can sound "messy" in places.
    to be honest i have been too busy listening to her beautiful voice to notice any other distractions. might have a listen out tonight though.

6. SOUNDSTYLE

SOUNDSTYLE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I didn't hear anything harsh with the sound.
    It looks like your cd player is on it's way out.:(

7. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I have 2 DVD players that I've tried, I also have a Pioneer DVD drive with dual lasers in my PC.

The sound is there. It cannot be my equipment as I've tried so many combinations. However it may be my CD, maybe I'll borrow someone else's and see.

Thanks for the responses guys.

8. adox

adox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    btw what do you think of the album?

9. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I think it's very good for a first album. However i would have liked a little more variation. The tracks all use the same instuments and similar rhythm so generally if you like one tack, you will like the rest. I think she has a lot of potential and a very soothing voice.

I've been listening to a lot of female vocals for the past few months. Natile Imbruglia is my current favourite. Her first album Left of the Middle was excellent and her recent follow up White Lillies Island is superb. She has so much talent and manages to fit several styles into one album, which is what I think Norah should do.

I remember thinking, this girl comes from a background of neighbours, in the same vein as Kylie and Holly Valance, how good can she be? Both of them have their good points but musically they are sooooo far behind Natalie.

Natalie also happens to be gorgeous :D

10. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I made a 6 second (1MB) clip of the section I have described above. I used DAE in secure mode on EAC to extract the track from the CD. it sould be exactly what is on the CD.

Have a listen and see what you think.

[Mods] It's only a 6 second clip so I don't think there are any copy right issues to be worried about as it should fall under fair use.

Clip