Norah Jones Copy

jimcarney

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi ,Guys does anyone know if the new Norah Jones CD is copy protected tried to burn a copy for the M,n law could not copy it ???? Jim

P.S. it plays normally just cant copy it!!

My Original backs up to hard drive OK in both .APE and MP3. Used Exact Audio Copy.

Good.

Jim, i'd recommend you try downloading it off one of the many filesharing programmes out there.

It is perfectly within your rights to make as many copies of a cd as you want, so long as you don't sell them on, and they are only for your own use.

The sooner the idiots at the major labels stop trying to play the law and strip us of our rights the better.

I personally won't buy a cd sourced from within the UK and certainly not a copy controlled version. I'll just download it.

Games Guru - were I a music artist, somebody involved in the production or indeed the distribution of music, and not getting paid for all my efforts because of people like you I'd "Play the law" too and do whatever I could to prevent other little cheapskates from downloading music from the net and not buying it.

Ultimately you don't have ANY "Rights" over the music which artists often put their entire life into writing, you could at least have the decency to pay for the privilege of listening to it.

It's a dignified honour for the world's best musicians to share their talents with any listener, and it's people like you I'd like to see stripped of both the means and the luxury of being able to experience this.

There's no excuse for not buying CDs sourced in the UK anymore, prices are ludicrously low and very much reasonable. I don't think I've paid more than £10 for an album in quite a few years. So your feeble protest against any such problems you might have with UK sourced CDs doesn't wash with me.

If you don't want Copy Protected CDs DONT DOWNLOAD THE BLOODY MUSIC IN THE FIRST PLACE!

Drives me up the wall when all consumers do these days is play innocent little victim to the big bag record industries' nasty use of the law. It was cheapskate consumers who cast the first stone and started the whole saga surrounding illegal music sharing, and you of all people - a self confessed protagonist for such activities - have no right to complain.

I doubt if the vast majority of top artists are motivated to share their music by anything other than money. Personally I don't download stuff as I can't be bothered and the quality you get on Kazaa is often completely appalling as it's been ripped by some spud brain kid on his Packard Bell.

However, I beleive Metallica's first album 'Kill 'em all' was aimed towards lawyers, the very people they now use to help them in their anti-piracy crusade. Slight irony there. Also, they should be sued for charging anything for 'St. Anger' as it clearly sucks big time.

For my part, I didn't invest thousands in a great audio system to then not buy the best quality source material. What's the point in worrying about upgrading our equipment if we are going to listen to some poor quality 128kb rip?

/me throws Dimmy off the soapbox and steps up

Music was/is too expensive which is a contributing factor to the rise of downloading music. The CD-WOW situation recently shows why I hate the music industry. Despite increasing sales they felt the need force a price increase on one of our best suppliers of cheap music.

I bought the Norah Jones album from CD-WOW, I got it for around £7 which I felt was a fair price. Had it not been a mail order purchase, I would have sent it back when I found out it was copy protected on the grounds that most of my music listening is done on my PC. Trying to prevent me from using it in that way should result in no sale for record company as far as I am concerned.

I am happy to pay a reasonable price for music and films as my large CD and DVD collection show, but try to rip me off or restrict my own use of the material and my purchasing will quickly fall.

I take the same attitude with hardware. I have been looking for a power amp for some time, an obvious candidate is the Rotel 1095 yet I haven't been anywhere near it. Why? The price here is £1845 , in the US it is $1999. They try to rip me off; result is no sale for them.

If you do want to copy the CD grab Exact Audio Copy and try the various modes, burst or syncronised will likely work.

Originally posted by Dimmy
Games Guru - were I a music artist, somebody involved in the production or indeed the distribution of music, and not getting paid for all my efforts because of people like you I'd "Play the law" too and do whatever I could to prevent other little cheapskates from downloading music from the net and not buying it.

blah blah *snip*.

I'm sorry, but you're wrong.

If the recording companies want to stop us playing OUR cds (yes they are our the minute we purchase them) on our pcs or our walkmans by not letting us rip them, then they are shooting themselves in the foot. The cd is their copyright yes, but we own the medium and as such we are allowed by law to make as many copies as you want. Sorry if you don't agree with that, maybe when your military junta succeeds you can change the law.

If someone buys a cd and the copy protection on it doesn't allow you to make a copy for your pc or walkman then that is just as criminal as someone illegally downloading a copy. I completly advocate someone downloading a copy of an album if they have already purchased a version that they can't copy onto their hard drive or ipod etc, but I don't advocate someone downloading an album if they don't own a copy.

I won't buy a cd from the UK on principal. They are cheaper from abroad, and sales don't give any money to the morally bankrupt BPI.

Dimmy, you may disagree with me, but your wholly partisan argument makes your view look very distored and a little foolish IMO.

I do not agree with Copy protection being put onto CD’s It goes against the ‘red book’ standard for CD design, and by deliberately corrupting the TOC gives all sorts of issues to Hardware Manufacturers, who are designing their stand alone players to try and cope with CD-R/RW, ultimately it is the hardware manufacturers who get the abuse if their machines do not play these disks.

I personally believe you have the right to copy material if you have the original, I own a portable MP3 player and do make CD compilations as test discs, I am not sure where I stand on the download front I personally do not do it because prefer good old CD’s, which are unfortunately seriously overpriced but I can sort of understand why people do it, although with the advent of cheap download sites where it costs pence per track I do not believe people have an excuse not to pay for this music format if that is how you want your music, the artist receives the royalties they deserve but the middle men get cut out.

I went to a lecture last year by someone working in the industry talking about copy protection and piracy, at the end I asked why CD’s cost more than tapes when in reality they are cheaper to manufacture and the artist does not get any more for it? The response went something along the lines CD’s are better quality and we are charging for this privilege. This is the bit that bugs me. I personally will always buy a CD if I want a particular album, I will not however pay High Street prices for it I will shop round the same goes with DVD’s, but as far as the government or whomever trying to limit where I can or can not buy material :mad:

well as the character in the movie said last night ‘and that is all I have to say about that’ I expect I have jabbered and made no sense or real point but what the hell it is a free country, for the moment anyway!:D

Games Guru, although I agree with most (I don't think the bit about it being criminal to stop us making copie is right, unless you were talking other than legally) of what you said please try to keep to arguing the point rather than taking issue with a person. That way the thread stays unlocked, no one gets hacked off and we get to have a big fun argument! :)

I believe the sentiment I expressed Games Guru, was not a descision on whether or not we should be able to copy the CDs we buy.

It was that people like you who download the music off the internet and cause all the problems in the first place - when discovering they cannot copy a CD they've purchased - have no right to complain about the way of things.

I have to write music for A Level Music which I'm studying. This is hardly relevant, but I have to spent many many hours just being able to get something out which holds up to A Level standard, and it's hard work.

Were I somebody who's very career was creating music of a content, quality and availability to a world audience I'd be working even harder (much much harder). I wouldn't want cheapskate pirates and - as they try and justify themselves - idiot protestors against economic logic stealing all of my efforts. You seem to think it's just the fat chairmen at the top who're losing precious pennies here, but how likely do you think that is, seriously? It's more likely people down the line - desperately trying to support families and children - will have to take the cuts, and it's even more likely that there'll be less investement in new talent.

Were I to have my way, Games Guru, you'd never be able to listen to a music track again.

Perhaps I'm expressing an opinion according to some silly 'Musicians Code' here, but music is a human luxury, and our country is one of those blessed with production and distribution of such a luxury which very often and consistently hits a very high standard.

The consumer reaction to the BPI's descision with regards to the CD WOW situation is one which - like the Labour Party's descision on Tuition fees - has created a 'Shock Wave' in which everybody seems to be simply following the trend & expressing disgust.

Investing all of your monies into a foreign economy for something which is often ultimately domestically produced is inevitably going to cause problems. The problem is the majority of consumers can't think beyond the price.

If everybody bought everything from france in some mad Channel-Dash because everything in france was far cheaper than here, then eventually they'd be stopped from doing it (things are already regulated).

Consumers do not realise that if they spend all their money for - in this case - CDs in another country then it's again, ultimately THEM who will lose out.

If you don't like the way of things, move to Japan or make use of your political voice and Vote.

And - as Daneel says Games Guru - stick to the subject matter & don't start attacking me. I'm speaking to you and everybody who exemplifies such opinions and carries out such activities. If you start getting pissy with me I'll just report your posts to a mod.

I'll add that consumers have a choice here - they can either have the luxury of being able to transfer music on the CDs they buy to all their portable media and being able to make copies for home use.

Or they can have the luxury of breaking the law and downloading the music from the net for inferior quality audio and tightening up the 'official' distribution of music even more.

I apoligise if you think I was attacking you, I thought i was just being sarcastic, so sorry if you took any offence. :smashin:

I however must take issue with the record maufacturers. Off the top of my head I can't think of any other industry that takes such offence to someone listening to the product they have helped make!

I understand that music is an untangable medium to an extent, but I think it is more due to the greed and utmost hypocricy of manufactorers such as Sony who make the bloody walkman and then decide they won't let you listen to your music on it!:mad:

I have little sympathy for them to be honest, they have been charging us far, far over the odds for our music for decades, and they don't like it when the shoe is on the other foot! Yes that doesn't excuse people from downloading illegally, but they have gone completely the wrong way about it.

Dimmy, I make music too. I own several guitars, a bass guitar and I also LOVE messing around with magix music maker. So to that extent I consider myself a musician too. If I was a successful musician I would probably advocate people downloading my music.

People record music from the radio, watch music channels, without being accused of piracy. Yes it isn't the same, but is it really that different? No.

Everyone has a different stand-point on this argument, but people vote with their feet and hundreds of millions of people are downloading music illegally every day! I'm sorry but it's not going to stop, now or ever.

Products like Napster and Kazaa will hopefully destroy the record companies, and artists can (hopefully) in the future sell their music online and hopefully make money from it.

I didn't, but daneel seems to think you were, so I was just making sure we didn't descend into madness in this thread :smashin:.

I think the view that pirating a CD is going to lead to a starving musicial is unlike to happen in reality. Those who have a contract with a record company are not going to be short of money. The whole system as it stands is a mess IMO.

I think that artists in general would get a better deal by ignoring the record companies and going it alone. If only more of them had the business sense and financial backing to do it we might see more of that kind of thing.

Currently, record companies make a select few very rich and the rest make very little or don't get their music put out at all.

As regards CD-WOW the fact is that if prices were lower in this country, which it's pretty obvious they could be, then we wouldn't need to go elsewhere. Have a look at the price of a CD in Canada, they are much lower than here yet they have a similar life style to us here in the UK. It's not some 3rd world contry producing goods on the cheap. Retailers need to realise that the British public have had it with being ripped off. If it damaged in the economy in the time it takes these companies to get this into their heads then it is a price I'm willing to pay.

It is not us who will lose out long term, the companies wil go bust and be replaced by ones who are more effiecent/less greedy and thus can supply the product at a lower price and still make a profit.

Dimmy, your last two statements don't make sense to me. The whole argument here is that copy protection removes the choice. If we buy the CD we still can't use the music on out portable players! For those not so tech savy the only way they can do it is to download the music despite the fact that they have already paid for a copy!

[I didn't think games guru was attcking you exactly Dimmy, but I could see it going in that direction and thought I'd try to prevent it.]

Daneel - if everybody stopped downloading I think the record industry wouldn't be so desperate to enforce such copy protection measures.

What is crippling these companies is giving nobs like Robbie Williams and Mariah Carey 80 million to knock out the same rubbish record over and over again, with the rest of the album as filler, which surprise suprise no-one wants to buy!

Single sales are falling because people want to download it, they are falling coz it's rubbish!

Originally posted by Games Guru
Products like Napster and Kazaa will hopefully destroy the record companies, and artists can (hopefully) in the future sell their music online and hopefully make money from it.

Hopefully not!

I just can't deal with MP3 Quality...

Bring on SACD!

DVD Audio mate :smashin:

My 2p
The only time I've copied cd's is if I've purchased it and wish to have an extra copy for my car.
I have been guilty of downloading some tracks from file sharing servers however but in my case it's generally to source new material that I may not have thought about buying in the past. I down load a sample to see if it floats my boat. If it does then I purchase the cd if I don't then it get deleted of my hd. In my case p2p or pirating has had the opposite affect on my purchasing habits as I tend to buy more cd's than I would've before.:)

Lol, we're just not going to agree on this are we :laugh: :p.

Originally posted by Games Guru
What is crippling these companies is giving nobs like Robbie Williams and Mariah Carey 80 million to knock out the same rubbish record over and over again, with the rest of the album as filler, which surprise suprise no-one wants to buy!

IMHO, the surgence of MP3 downloading is going to make these kinds of investements inevitable.

If record industries are afraid their turnover's going to turn over then they're obviously going to start playing the 'safe' cards in which music they promote.

That said there are still many excellent 'obscure' artists out there getting their music put out by record industries, who otherwise wouldn't get their music played.

I don't agree with your idealism of eliminating distributors from the equation though, and letting artists fend for themselves. A lot more (none-rich) artists would simply sink in this environment and wouldn't get some of their excellent music out there.

Originally posted by Dimmy
Lol, we're just not going to agree on this are we :laugh: :p.

Nope!

Down with the record companies!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom