Nope (IMAX) Movie Review & Comments

I haven't seen Nope but I can't understand the Peele hype. Get Out was very good but Us was pretty average. Could be the new M Night Shyamalan.

I saw Nope last night but I’m feeling conflicted on this one.

On one hand, there were some great moments and I understood the overall idea. On the other, there were a lot of ideas that didn’t seem to be connected and that I didn’t understand what Peele was trying to do with them. There seemed to be a surprising lack of tension throughout the film, yes there were a few moments of brilliance, but frustratingly I thought the scene with the most tension was actually the one that ended up being a fake out.

It’s a 3/5 for me at the moment, it’s one of those where I can’t decide if I’m too stupid to understand it or if the filmmakers didn’t make it clear enough for the audience.

Saw this yesterday. I really enjoyed it. Its been a while since I have seen a film like this with a big budget. These types of genre films are normally relegated to straight to video (or streaming). Good fresh ideas on familiar concept with no mass destruction or cities being wiped out by giant ufos which is nice. I was surprised when I came out of the cinema and heard someone call it a pile of horseshit. I then read some reviews and it appears it has divided opinions. It does borrow from films history, and I am a huge Jaws fan, and I thought this evoked a similar vibe, along with close encounters and strangely, I felt a hint of Tarantino in there too. The aspect ratio is imax so if not seen at an imax cinema the picture is small on the screen. Can't wait to see this at home in 4k and fi gers crossed for an Atmos soundtrack.

Stop on review. While I very much enjoyed the film, the Gordy subplot was way more interesting and scary than the flying saucer stuff. And Michael Wincott continues to be an absolute legend.

watched Nope - very Spielberg inspired (close encounter and Jaws) with obvious nods to all aspects of the film industry, including filming techniques and media usage, modern vs old tech, Hollywood vs homemade, documentary vs facts… and to get this this perfect shot, the film came full circle with the animated picture technique that was established at the start of the film.

some great sci-fi, love the whole “Hollywood eats you up to shit you out” vibe, some of the flying saucer sequences looked insane and the sound design was incredible. My problem with Peele is he is so focused on making a political points, that the story becomes second and characters third.

But the mystery in this film was well executed and the lead actors were great.

I liked this film but Cineworld Glasgow's "Superscreen" nearly ruined the experience for me. They hadn't formatted the image for the larger screen so it was a smaller rectangle in the middle of the screen. Like watching 1080p on a 4K TV without upscaling. I asked them to zoom it but they obviously didn't know how. Sound was good though. I'm looking forward to watching this again on my OLED.

I liked this film but Cineworld Glasgow's "Superscreen" nearly ruined the experience for me. They hadn't formatted the image for the larger screen so it was a smaller rectangle in the middle of the screen. Like watching 1080p on a 4K TV without upscaling. I asked them to zoom it but they obviously didn't know how. Sound was good though. I'm looking forward to watching this again on my OLED.
This was the same in the Islington Vue. Very odd.

As for the film itself, I did enjoy it but it would have been very helpful to understand the underlying theme, which I've only got now by reading Tom's review.

I also thought the saucer was a lot scarier than the space kite, and for all the great build-up, the end where they slay the monster was actually quite muted. Very Jaws-like, but missing the great release at the end. Odd decision to go quiet and I felt and it left the audience a little muted. Just shows what a John Wiliams score can do! The reveal of OJ and the photo helped pull it back, but not quite enough.

Still, enjoyed it but didn't quite stick the landing.

Same issue at my local Everyman, I don't know if the aspect ratio changed throughout but when it started it hadn't been formatted to fill the screen, empty space top and bottom.

Same issue at my local Everyman, I don't know if the aspect ratio changed throughout but when it started it hadn't been formatted to fill the screen, empty space top and bottom.
Hmm - interesting point - I wonder if it got bigger for the "Imax" scenes. Didn't notice but I'm assuming that would be any shot where they're looking at the sky.

Edit - seems not:

Hmm - interesting point - I wonder if it got bigger for the "Imax" scenes. Didn't notice but I'm assuming that would be any shot where they're looking at the sky.

Edit - seems not:

So the best way to watch it is in the IMAX. Here I was blaming Cineworld and it was a stupid decision by the studio/filmmakers. Wound me up throughout the full film.

Unless I'm missing something, it seems like it was Cineworld's fault for framing the film incorrectly on a scope screen? :confused:

Unless I'm missing something, it seems like it was Cineworld's fault for framing the film incorrectly on a scope screen? :confused:

Yes and no. It's been sent to them in a 1:85:1 container so they would need a projectionist fixing it for every showing and I think it's all automated now. I don't think the guy at the til knew what to do as I asked him to fix it and it remained the same for the rest of the film. So I guess it's the fault of both parties. I was wanting up into the projection room to zoom it myself lol.

Yes and no. It's been sent to them in a 1:85:1 container so they would need a projectionist fixing it for every showing and I think it's all automated now. I don't think the guy at the til knew what to do as I asked him to fix it and it remained the same for the rest of the film. So I guess it's the fault of both parties. I was wanting up into the projection room to zoom it myself lol.
Yikes! I'm glad I saw it on an IMAX screen in that case.

Yikes! I'm glad I saw it on an IMAX screen in that case.

I thought about seeing it in the IMAX but I'm a Cineworld card holder and Superscreen is only £2.50. The nearest IMAX to me is £17-18 and I didn't want to pay that for a film I wasn't sure I would like.

I thought about seeing it in the IMAX but I'm a Cineworld card holder and Superscreen is only £2.50. The nearest IMAX to me is £17-18 and I didn't want to pay that for a film I wasn't sure I would like.
This is the advantage of IMAX tickets only costing me a fiver. ;)

That said, I would absolutely have paid premium for the 1.43:1 experience if the BFI IMAX had upgraded their projector by now (due later this year).

This is the advantage of IMAX tickets only costing me a fiver. ;)

That said, I would absolutely have paid premium for the 1.43:1 experience if the BFI IMAX had upgraded their projector by now (due later this year).

Just you rub it in 😂

Good stuff and a solid 7-8/10. I'll give it some time and a second viewing.

Not as good as Get Out tho - which is comfortably one of my favourite movies in the last few decades.

Huge fan of Get Out, I liked US but this was a huge let down. Was expecting more but failed to deliver anything suspenseful or jaw dropping in the scale of Get Out or Us. I hope Peele doesn't turn out to be another M Night...

2.5/5

I've looked at a few videos now, about Gordy, the significance of the shoe, the opening quote, "bad miracles" and thinking back to the two most suspenseful scenes (Gordy's party and the"fake aliens") I still get the impression that the film aimed for the stars but landed on the (bloody) roof, and would, should, have been much more suspenseful in the dealings with its primary antagonist. Saying that it is playing on my mind so powerful is the imagery and I love anything about UFOs.

I really liked this but it was a little bit too long. The run time would not of bothered me but it was spent on other things. I get the Gordy sub plot but it was wasted I think because too many did not get it. I didn't get it myself until I read this thread. It wasn't needed.
The acting was spot on and visuals and sound were great.
We watched it on Odeon iSense and the presentation was fine. Some black bars top and bottom but no deal breaker.
The screening I Was in was dead. Only a handful of people in there.

I need to see it again but will wait for the UHD disc as it needs an Oled to get the best from it. All I kept thinking about was how much better it would of looked on an Oled because of the black levels.

7.5 / 10 for me

Was quite a fun movie with impressive visuals and sound. It flowed pretty well and an interesting take on the actual entity itself (how did it change in to the weird thing though?) but for me Get Out was still Peele's best movie to date, perhaps he has already peaked? Nope wasn't scary or jumpy but it did flow reasonably well as a 1 view movie.

I must be the only person who thought US was better than Get Out.

I watched this in Leeds Odeon Thorpe Park in the isense screen and the presentation was impressive as was the sound. I have no idea about the difference between the Dolby cinema screen and isense to be honest and I have been to both screens a few times. I deliberately didn’t read any reviews but I did pick up on the Leone references and wondered if the well camera stuff was goodies related. I thought the Gordy elements were brilliant but struggled to connect them with main Story but I did wonder whether the curse of the monkies paw has struck again. In a further weird coincidence Radio 4 Today programme has just reported on a monkey that is recovering after being flushed down a toilet, chased by a dog and force fed cocaine. Gordy should count his blessings.

Them that like US and them that don't. It's all very "Northern Ireland".

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom