NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Warning Oscar Spoiler

Dimmy

Banned
That really has buggered up my life and faith in the oscar academy.

I'm going to go trash my home cinema system in a mad fit of rage now.

I still love you bill :smashin:.

Dimmy

Banned
:rolleyes:

I don't consider this as spoiling, it's 'News'.

It's like not announcing in a forum that Saddam Hussein was captured because people "Wanted to see the news bulletin for themselves". But there you go.

You'd do well to avoid the 'news' all day anyway (infact it's near enough impossible.

Garrett

Dimmy did put a spoiler warning in the title of the thread.

common

and going to the movie section of the forum probably wasn't the best place to avoid seeing the results

TheBigApple

Originally posted by Dimmy
That really has buggered up my life and faith in the oscar academy.

I'm going to go trash my home cinema system in a mad fit of rage now.

I still love you bill :smashin:.

What did you think of Sean Penn's performance in Mystic River?

J

Julie Winston

Sean Penn was in Mystic River, why wasn't there a spoiler alert - grrr. Really has spoilt my evening. I'll think twice next year before reading a Movies & TV thread entitled :NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Warning Oscar Spoiler the day after the Oscars ceremony, now I know how Conusious feels :)

Dimmy

Banned
Originally posted by monkeyboy73
What did you think of Sean Penn's performance in Mystic River?

The 'Easy' choice. I can just picture academy voters as they're thinking their descision through...

"Dark subject matter, gritty acting, shouting, violence, rage, it has to win".

Frankly, I'm sick of Comedy being continuously overlooked in favour of the 'easy' vote. IMHO it's easy to be gritty & dark & bitter in acting, you just have to shout & look miserable.

Bill Murray - by far my favourite comedic actor - was the perfect protagonist for comedy finally getting the acclaim it deserves. Shame on the oscar academy. I'll never be watching or indeed taking these awards with any level of seriousness again.

Setenza

Novice Member
IMHO it's easy to be gritty & dark & bitter in acting, you just have to shout & look miserable.

No you just come across like Phil Mitchell.

I could easily say in reference to comedy, is that all you have to do is pull stupid faces (Jim Carey) or say "I can't beleive this is happening to me" (Woody Allen) or if your Adam Sandler just be a total pimhole.

Dimmy

Banned
Lol @ "Pimhole".

To elaborate a little. It's easier to get praised for a gritty & dark & bitter performance in which you shout & look miserable. Genres are not on an even playing field when it comes to the academy awards.

IMHO it comes down to this.

Lost in translation, and many other movies featuring Bill Murray, would have gone nowhere were he not in them.

I think Sean Penn's role in Mystic River could've been played with equal panache by various other hollywood actors.

F

Family Guy

Disagree entirely Dimmy I'm afraid...as far as I can remember, sean Penn has been the only actor recently to win "Best Actor" playing a role like that...
Last year Adrian Brody won for "The Pianist"...can't remember the year before that but in recent memory, Tom Hanks won back to back oscars for playing a man dieing of aids and an idiot who was a genius!!
IMHO, the accademy seem to spot talent. You liked Bill Murray's performance in Lost In Translation...so did I. But I thought Jonny Depp was better in POTC...;)

In fact, here's an amusing look at past winners of the best actor award since the oscars started...how many played shouting moody men...?;)

Dimmy

Banned
The fact that POTC got nominated for anything fills me with disappointement...

F

Family Guy

The fact that POTC got nominated for anything fills me with disappointement...

Why? It was a fantastic fantasy adventure film...I haven't read one negative comment about it (until now...:rolleyes: ) I'm not saying it was best picture material...but was lost in translation? Without Bill Murray & Scarlet Johansen, it would have sunk to the bottom of Davey Jones' locker...whereas POTC had everything - comedy, action, romance. However, as I said, it wasn't best picture material.
Jonny Depp would have had a much tougher time playing Capt Jack Sparrow than Bill Murray would have had playing....Bill Murray.:D

Garrett

I’m just watching the re-run of the Oscars, what the heck screen format are the televising it in. Even watching it via digital I’m not getting a full picture.

B

bobbles

4:3

I also think Murray deserved it. Although I must say Penn's performance in Mystic was outstanding. He is one of the best actors of the current age, no question. He also missed out on 3 previous nominations which always goes down well with the voters.

The most ridiculous award was for ROTK, best editing (last 20minutes???)

Dimmy

Banned
It's NTS-we'retoolazytobroadcastproperly-C/PAL-bbc-style.

Spligsey

I'll never be watching or indeed taking these awards with any level of seriousness again.

I use a similar technique with your posts Dimmy:D

;)

Adz

Gary D

Distinguished Member
I think anyone who saw Sir Ian Mckellen on Parky the other week will never take the OSCARS seriously again. Members seem to vote for friends and for films they have not seen just because friends are in them.

Take the OSCARS for what they are - entertainment and promotion. I'm glad ROTK win EVERYTHING. although the song from "Belleview" should have won all the rest were just depressing!!!

And the highlight was Michael Moore being stamped on - very funny!!

Gary

Garrett

Originally posted by bobbles
4:3
It looked to be in W/S on analogue 4:3 TV yet on a W/S TV in digital came out at 14:9 anamorphic. Even when they went back to the studios it was transmitted in this way. It looked like a step back in time for the Beeb.

Miyazaki

Novice Member
I saw 'Mystic River' tonight. I'm afraid it didn't do anything for me either. I had to scratch my head as to why Mr Penn won the best actor award. IMO Bill Murray put in an amazing performance in 'Lost In Translation'. LIT is the best film i've seen this year. :smashin:

L

Len

Games Guru - You need to get out more..:laugh:

Lost In Translation is a case of the Kings Clothes if ever I saw one.

Bill Murray is one of those actors I can watch read a telephone directory... and that's just about what he did in LIT - Not an Oscar this time. His performance in Rushmore was a more worthy contender.

I could also look at Scarlet in her knickers all day, but it still doesn't make LIT a great film. As for the subject matter of LIT.. wasn't it handled better in Ghost World? Or Lawn Dogs.

More to the point where was Sam Rockwell's nomination for Confessions of A Dangerous Mind.

Or Nic Cage for Adaptation? And the screenplay for Adaptation certainly should have won an award though I guess they couldn't work out if it was adapted or original and there are still some people who think Donald Kaufmann exists.

On the whole I think the Oscars were very boring this time round because you could predict the whole thing.

L

Len

Originally posted by Len

Or Nic Cage for Adaptation? And the screenplay for Adaptation certainly should have won an award though I guess they couldn't work out if it was adapted or original and there are still some people who think Donald Kaufmann exists.

Of course the answer to the above is because it was nominated in last years Oscars Doh! I'll get my coat and shuffle out quietly.:blush:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

What's new on Disney+ UK for February 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Focal releases 1000 Series integrated speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Klipsch announces ProMedia 2.1 BT speaker set
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
No Time to Die gets pushed to 8th Oct 2021
  • By Andy Bassett