1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NOOOOO....where have all the 32PD50s gone!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by jimbono05, May 3, 2005.

1. jimbono05

jimbono05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I cant believe...after weeks of trying to convince the wife that we needed a new TV.....praying the the old one would finally conk out....doing lots of research on here....and finally deciding on a 32PD50.....the TV finally gives up the ghost yesterday :clap:

So I come into work...spark up price runner....pen and paper at the ready to note down the stores which I saw were selling it for £600 last week...list at the ready of John Lewis stores to find and attempt a price match....

...and what happens....

....all the places that I'd seen people mention they got a price match with....Digital Point, Sound & Vision, Digital Direck UK....have all stopped selling it....and John Lewis are now out of stock aswell :rolleyes: ....I know JL were out of stock a couple of weeks ago, but they had got some more last week...

...so basically.....what's happened to the 32PD50....is it not being made/sold anymore?

2. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    According to others Panasonic have announced that they were discontinuing the model - I cannot remember when it was going to be stopped from and I havent seen anything about the replacement model yet - may not be correct but it does seem to be suggested by the sudden price drops (ie retailers selling off last of stock)

3. mmj

mmj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Tell me about it, i've been planning to buy TV for weeks and recently pinpointed this model for buying this week... :(

Looks like I'll be opting for the TOshiba 32ZP48 now, even though it's £70 dearer and has surround speakers I wont use, it does have a much nicer 3-tier cabinet though. :smashin:

4. jimbono05

jimbono05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah Big monkeh....I think Im in the same boat as you...gone probably go for the 32ZP48 now....and have to pay £100 more I guess since JL dont stock it and Ill probably have to buy from digital direct with just the one year warranty ....

All I can say is :censored:

5. fdxd

fdxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Just to warn you its missing proper 60HZ support. :D I had to find out the hard way. I took it for granted since i thought all big tv's handle anything fine.

6. mmj

mmj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    how do you mean it says it supports NTSC? :confused:

7. NEW50M

NEW50M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bought one two weeks ago £620, (picked it up at warehouse) It's great, was telling a mate about it last week tried to show him where I got it. Not listed anymore?????
    Have checked all the places I did price checks non of them are listing it??
    Seems I was lucky
    Very very happy with it.
    Hope you find one.

8. fdxd

fdxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It doesnt support any form of 60HZ. Unless you like having top and bottom of screens cut. I phoned Toshiba customer services to confirm before returning the tv.

9. kevin19470

kevin19470
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :thumbsup: JUST ordered a Panny TX32PD50C from JL who have given me a great price match at £669. I could have got it a little cheaper, but JL would not price match against them. I feel it is worth paying a few quid more just to get the JL 5 year warranty. Had to scream and shout at them for the p.m. - but it was worth it, just to see them climb down from their perch and grovell.

Hope this helps.

10. MikeD

MikeD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I bought a mail order PD30 from here a while ago and had no problems with them or it, they quote £600 for the PD50 and that stock is due in a week, might just be worth giving them a ring.

http://www.cramptonandmoore.co.uk/shop/

MikeD

11. jimbono05

jimbono05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got in touch with crampton and moore....but they said that they have the 32pd50 on order, but don't think they will get any more as panasonic have told them that it is now discontinued!

Anyhow....I bitten the bullet and went for the 32PD50 from digital point for £674....was gonna try and wait out for JL to get more stock...but to be honest I couldnt be @rsed waiting...and not sure they will be getting any if C & M are anything to go by!

Fingers crossed everything is gonna be alright (delivery next week)....digitalpoint dont do any extended warranties....any one any ideas where I could get one from...or should I just stay with the 1 year and hope for the best?

Thanks for all the good advice/help from the forum :clap:

12. erden1979

erden1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    saw one in Romford near the market on wendsday, round £850 , £900 mark.

13. Swa

Swa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What TV will replace the 32pd50?

14. TUT

TUT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Any idea what Panasonic new TVs range will be ?

15. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Well at the top end it wouldn't surprise if we don't actually see a PD50 replacement in traditional CRT format.....in other words look to LCD/Plasma

16. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Whilst I agree that I think flag ship CRTs TVs will die out with the advent of hi-def I am very surprised that panasonic have pulled out of the market so early whilst they still had a very sucessful set if they are not going to release a new one.

17. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jimbono,

I hope you get a lot of pleasure from your new television.

I bought my television just over a year ago and took out a five year warranty with Domestic and General through Hi-Spek. Neiljones, one of our members, mentioned a website which gives greatly reduced prices for warranties and it's insured by Domestic and General. Put up Warranty Ex on Google and it's top of the page. It certainly seems to have good prices; it's worth having a look.

18. jimbono05

jimbono05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Cynthia...

I've just had a look a warranyex....they would do a 3 year garantee for £66 or a 5 year for £107...doesnt seem too bad to me....

...did you (or anyone else) have to ever put the warranty into practice? If so, what was the service like?

Thanks again for spotting my question from a few days ago :thumbsup:

19. jimbono05

jimbono05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just spoke to Digital Point to ask them what was going on with my order since I hadnt heard anything from them since my order confirmation on Friday. (I had decided to do buy now pay later as it made sense for me to have the cash in my account for 9 months instead of theirs...anyway the confirmation of that came thru yesterday).

So I get through and speak to some chap at digtial point.....I ask him how my order is going...and he says it's out of stock.....I go...."What? I just ordered it on Friday and it was in stock then and you sent me confirmation AND the buy now pay later finance has been arranged"....he then said something which I couldnt understand (couldnt understand much what he said to be honest)...I think it was to do with it being discontinued....i said "Thanks for letting me know!!!"...so he then says "You are more then welcome to pick another TV from us".....I consider this for a millisecond and request my order be cancelled.

I must admit I was kind of relieved, since after ordering I read loads of bad reviews of this company. So not too upset...the only problem now is to choose another TV instead of the PD50, since they all seem to have gone now...well at a decent price anyhow!

Digital-Point :thumbsdow

20. Meeko

Meeko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I bought mine last wee from 123electrical4me. It was £680 delivered. They may have stock?

21. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Digital Point were the best price and delivered next day when i used them.

22. mmj

mmj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I ordered one from them yesterday evening after they told me that they have stock ready for next working day delivery.

I received despatch confirmation a few hours ago. :clap:

£700 but at least I managed to bag one :smashin: (after pining over for one for weeks).

:thumbsup:

EDIT: It looks like they've removed it from their site too, I must've got the last one.

23. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi jimbono,

I'm sorry you were let down like that. You must feel so disappointed and annoyed, particularly when you had arranged the finance already.

No, I have never had to claim under guarantee or extended warranty. We bought a Grundig television in the nineties, which cost £1900 at Harrods (a lot of money for a 33" but it had an amazing range of features for those days and a wonderful picture). We chose to buy the Harrods display model at £1300, which had only been on display for three months only they assured me. It was set up to constantly display the multi picture in picture mode (something like a dozen pips). It was guaranteed for twelve months and at thirteen months the tuner failed. The cost was £150 so I wrote to Grundig saying we had bought Grundig because of the name and reliability of their products (they were a respected name in those days!). They gave me £50. That television was in and out of the workshop from then on. It was monstrously heavy; we had to cart it in a wheelbarrow to the car and take it to the Grundig agents 25 miles away. We spent nearly £700 on repairs over the years (we must have been mad). The tuner failed again twice but the last time we watched through the vcr tuner. I so regretted not taking out the five year warranty so I did when I bought my Philips tv last year.

I wish I could remember who posted this; one of our members had a five year warranty and his television failed well into its fifth year. He was given a brand new television much better than his original as they could not replace the same model. In most cases it may not be worth paying for an extended waranty but it does give piece of mind. A friend wished he had taken out a five year warranty as his tv failed shortly after his three year warranty expired. It's one of these "What shall I do" questions, pay for the warranty and have peace of mind or ignore it and hope for the best.

Incidentally I had read mostly good reports on the Panasonic PD50, it might be worth trying for another although the price isn't as good as digital's. I hope you soon get your next television, you deserve a bit of happiness.

24. mmj

mmj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello everyone,

My PD50 arrived today! I only ordered it monday night so electricals4me.co.uk get a big thumbs up from me, although the courier wasn't so good (no phone call to arrange for delivery and only one man turned up meaning he needed help). :rolleyes:

Well it cost £700 so I was expecting to be slightly dissapointed, but I have to say this is one amazing (but heavy!) TV.

I especially like the multi-window feature which allows me to watch TV/DVD whilst killing people on playstation. :devil:

Well Imi was right, I wouldn't be dissapointed by it. :clap:

It's just a shame for all the prospective TV buyers in the upcoming weeks/months that Panasonic saw fit to discontinue it. :nono:

Anyway, thanks to everyone of this forum otherwise I would've probably bought a right overpriced stinker.

Cheers. :thumbsup:

25. jimbono05

jimbono05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well....got sick of messing around....given up on 32PD50.....was tempted by the Sony 32FQ86 for a bit....as I saw it in Comet and it looked pretty good (but read loads of complaints about it on here)....so decided to go for the Tosh 32ZP48 from Sound and Vision...hope the TV and S&V dont disappoint.

Thanks again for all your help everyone....I'll let you know what I think of the TV when it arrives :thumbsup:

26. Brimstone

Brimstone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yeah, im also completely gutted...

I bought a 32" PD50 from Frasers sale 2 months ago and i've been chasing it up ever since - they've
    just told me today that the manufacturer has let them down because it is discontinued.
    Been looking to get this telly (originally looking at PD30) for a year and had my heart set on it.
    I had planned to do a price match at JL as everyone else does for the 5yr warranty, but fraser had
    it in a sale also with a 5yr warranty. Whats REALLY frustrating is - i could have bought it
    somewhere else that actually had it in stock 2 MONTHS AGO (like JL) if Frasers had been honest
    and said that - no sorry we lied, we didn't actually have it in stock and we'll have to order it
    from the manufacturer. Not a happy bunny. I want that telly!!!
    :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :(

Bugger.

Brimstone.

27. mmj

mmj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    there is a store still selling it who I have used once before and they were very good, but they are more expensive than the other stores and are asking £880 for it.

http://www.robertsons-online.co.uk/

28. Gordon WT

Gordon WT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8

How about:

http://www.totaldigital.biz/product_info.php/products_id/779

£595 plus £20 delivery??

I got mine from S&V last Saturday...quite pleased with it...compared to PL10 but footie is still a pain to watch.. :eek: .anyone got any tips for improving things?

Gordon

29. Brimstone

Brimstone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Gordon - who is S&V?

Thanks Gordon and Monkeh for the links - the problem (even if there is a couple left somewhere) is that with all the stated problems with these sets i really want a 5yr warranty and a company with a local store (not online only) with a good returns and customer service policy for finding a good one if necesary - hence the popularity of John Lewis (& similiarly House Of Frasers where i ordered mine from and got the refund today) - not keen on taking a chance on a website with an expensive telly and then having problems with the set. I've been there before with smaller cheaper goods and its a nightmare - i cant imagine what its like trying to complain to one of these places about picture quality issues without a good engineer to visit...

I'd better have a good look around, make some calls and come to a decision quick while there might still be a few left (i've sent totaldigital an email to check if they physically have any stock, just in case).

Cheers, Mark (Brimstone).

30. Gordon WT

Gordon WT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8