Nooo! son broke TV :(

liamt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
we are insured for accidental damage but not sure that covers throwing a toy at the TV?

also can we specify the money rather than them just offering a replacement that might not suit us (i would prefer a 50" screen)

anyone know of any good TVs going at a good price? we cant afford to chip in much over what the insurers offer.

Covered as an accident surely?

These rest will depend on your policy, which you should be able to check online if you don't have the docs to hand.

i guess its classed as an accident but i want to make sure before i call them. he was only 3 yesterday, might have to sell all his toys to pay for it! ;)

As long as you have NEW for OLD you should get the equivalent or ca$h to the value of the equivalent, if you don't have NEW for Old your stuffed and will get a depreciation % year on year of the tv's life, i hope its the 1st option for your sake.

yes, i bet there is an excess. not sure though. pretty sure i did new for old, bloody hope so! but then again you can buy a 42" TV for £300 these days and as good as my TV was, its probably not a patch on some of the new ones.

to 3d or not now is the question!

I'd wait until you have the "cheque" in your hand before making any plans :)

normally i would but a house with no TV is a nightmare!

was going to watch death to smoochy or fisher king tonight :(

By the time he can sit down again he will be old enough to buy you a new one ;)

Seriously.

If you had a thin modern TV that was wall mounted.
Using 4 corner pieces, perhaps aluminium stand-offs.

One could mount a strong sheet of toughened glass that covered the entire front of the TV.
No hands pressing on the screen and no toys thrown at the screen.

You could go to a local glass shop and have them simply cut some glass to size, bevel the edges and drill 4 corner holes for mounts, or offer some other corner fixing standoffs.

Pretty easy DIY

Or just buy something like this :)

TV Protector

By the time he can sit down again he will be old enough to buy you a new one ;)

i wouldnt beat a 3 year old. i would like a new TV though, as long as i dont get stitched on the replacement/cash

might be worth investing in one of these....

walk on water | The Bubble Rollers - Home

haha. he will suffer enough as no TV for him until we get a replacement. he has been good as gold for 3 days.

Seriously.

If you had a thin modern TV that was wall mounted.
Using 4 corner pieces, perhaps aluminium stand-offs.

One could mount a strong sheet of toughened glass that covered the entire front of the TV.
No hands pressing on the screen and no toys thrown at the screen.

You could go to a local glass shop and have them simply cut some glass to size, bevel the edges and drill 4 corner holes for mounts, or offer some other corner fixing standoffs.

Pretty easy DIY

Or just buy something like this :)

TV Protector

yeah, might look at something like that. cheers!

Just stop it, it's not funny.

It could seriously degrade the picture quality unless it’s also glare treated which adds a lot to the cost. Even if it’s mounted right up against the screen, due to the size it would suffer from glare without treatment.

we are insured for accidental damage but not sure that covers throwing a toy at the TV?

also can we specify the money rather than them just offering a replacement that might not suit us (i would prefer a 50" screen)

anyone know of any good TVs going at a good price? we cant afford to chip in much over what the insurers offer.

Once you know your budget have a look in here and post up what you're looking for (preferences/what's important to you in a TV etc) and you should get some good advice

Which TV Should I Buy? | AVForums

It could seriously degrade the picture quality unless it’s also glare treated which adds a lot to the cost. Even if it’s mounted right up against the screen, due to the size it would suffer from glare without treatment.

Glare would be an issue is it was near a window / sunlight.

However, I think we can agree, glare at some angles in some scenarios would not effect the picture so much as a toy car thrown at the screen :)

Walked into the living room 30 mins ago to check on the little monsters whilst I'm making dinner, only to find the 3 yr old with her hands on our new Sony lcd screen... Needless to say, a rather loud firm bollocking was handed out...

^^^But even if your child had smeared greasy hands all over the screen would you even be able to tell when it was on with moving images, it's a lcd after all :p ;).

cheers for the advice guys. i need to look at contacting insurance today as was closed when i got home.

had a quick look and like the sound of the Samsung UE48H6400 but will see what they offer me. im not sure i have new for old so im not sure what they will offer me. if i had new for old and it cost me £1200 would that mean they give me £1200 for a new one? im not sure how it works ive only claimed once on insurance in 20 years!

cheers for the advice guys. i need to look at contacting insurance today as was closed when i got home.

had a quick look and like the sound of the Samsung UE48H6400 but will see what they offer me. im not sure i have new for old so im not sure what they will offer me. if i had new for old and it cost me £1200 would that mean they give me £1200 for a new one? im not sure how it works ive only claimed once on insurance in 20 years!

Wasn't what they tried to do with us when my son's friend threw a cup of juice at our 3 month old tv was a 46 samsung led tv costing £1200 , offered £450 at first to spend at comet her indoors almost accepted after i got on the phone this was bumped upto £1000.

Bought a Sony 46hx823 with gorilla glass

You have to prove that you will be worse off spec wise if they offer a low price down to hdmi ports, smart features etc it worked out better for us, i'm with Aviva

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom