Nooo Screen Burn

Pooon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So after a mamouth session on Guitar Hero i now have the scorebox outline stil showing on my screen. the set has been off over night and was still visible this morning(usually things clear overnight) so this could be a bit worse.

From what i know to remove/reduce screen burn i need to display a pure white image on the screen, so where do i find one? or do i have to play RS3:vegas and get people to throw flashbangs at me!

You're better off leaving it either on a channel with no dog or snow.

It should go after a while.

a channel with no dog :confused: i assume you meant prog!, yeah i did taht this morning but being a panny it switches itself off after 5mins when it detect no signal which is a pain

DOG = Digital Onscreen Graphic. IE annoying thing in the corner reminding you what channel your watching because we're all too stupid to remember. :mad:

a channel with no dog :confused: i assume you meant prog!, yeah i did taht this morning but being a panny it switches itself off after 5mins when it detect no signal which is a pain

I meant a channel with no logo, BBC 1 for example.

I assume the retention is white, in which case putting a white image on it will only make the rest of the screen match the retained bit and shorten the life of the panel.

Try leaving it on BBC 1 for a few hours and if that doesn't help then start thinking about getting a white picture.

go into photoshop make a new page make it white and to the resolution
of your screen say 1024 x 768

save it as a high res jpg

put it through a video editing program say adobe premier

drop the pic on to the time line and edit it to display for about 1 hour

make the video 1024 x 768 mabe 30 or 40 fps

and drop out as an mpg (save as an mpg) may take about 2 hours depending on your processor

then finaly drop it in to win avi as a dvd conversion put all settings to max
hit convert, burn it to disc, thats how i would do it

EXTRA TIPS... all programs like adobe photo shop and premier have free trials

and also win avi does not except mpg with no sound feed to it. you might drop your fav mp3 in to the sound timeline in premier to solve this:smashin:

mbjac wh0a!

Why not just...

1) create a jpg that's completely white
2) put it on a usb stick
3) plug into X360
4) System blade, console settings, screensaver disabled (to stop the screen from dimming after a period of non-interaction)
5) Media blade, pictures, find the white jpg and view it

Or if you don't have a usb stick then put it on a CDRW or media extend the image (eg TVersity etc)

Dont worry. I have a panny pv500 which is a very similar panel and I get image retention all the time (although only on the right hand third of the screen), I used to get a massive image of the speedo on RR6 and the position number in PGR3 after long sessions and even in the morning it would still be there, although after a few hours of normal tv all was good. When I first got the tv it scared the hell out of me but you get used to it knowing that it will go back to normal.

mbjac wh0a!

Why not just...

2) put it on a usb stick
3) plug into X360
4) System blade, console settings, screensaver disabled (to stop the screen from dimming after a period of non-interaction)

Or if you don't have a usb stick then put it on a CDRW or media extend the image (eg TVersity etc)
or if you have music on the 360,play it,and pick the visualisations,and leave them running for a while..that sorts it out too.

mbjac wh0a!

Why not just...

2) put it on a usb stick
3) plug into X360

mmmmmm yep that would work, but my way wasts time:thumbsup:

everybody should wast time, do you want to do it now,

Out of interest what settings do you use on yor PX60? Cinema, Normal, Dynamic?

Dynamic!!!! don't swear at me :)

i'll try the white jpeg if it no better when i get home

These threads scare me off getting a plasma. :eek:

And some Plasma owners swear blind that screen burn is a thing of the past and not an issue anymore.

So how long was "mamouth"? :)
All in it was probably 8 hours. i played some in the morning when i got up then while i was mowing the lawn etc the missus was playing and then we both played a bit more. This game is crack disguised as a plastic guitar

These threads scare me off getting a plasma. :eek:
This is the first instance i've had of an image still being visible after the set has been switched off in a year of ownership and it's certainly not a reason not to buy a plasma
And some Plasma owners swear blind that screen burn is a thing of the past and not an issue anymore.
i don't think it'll ever be completely solved but current and new generation plasmas are fine when it comes to screen burn. you do get a bit of image retention(which turns out is what i had) from static images being displayed for long periods but actual screen burn does seem to be quite hard to achieve(not that you'd want to)

Just so you all know the image that was on my screen this morning has now completely disappeared, but i think shorter Guitar Hero sessions may be in order :lesson:

modern plasma's have pretty much no problem with screen burn, a little bit of image retention here and there but its gone after a bit of normal telly viewing

give me my pv500 over ANY lcd, plasma gives rich natural vibrancy (a good one anyway) and a much more realistic pic, lcd are just lifeless and flat, no real depth, many will agree which is why plasma panels will always come out on top

many will agree which is why plasma panels will always come out on top

You forgot a bit:

"..with those sort of people" :)

For me, LCD panels gives a purity of picture which I love - plasma looks fuzzy and analogue. Good LCD panels look 3D to me

What's odd is that my HD LCD projector is less sharp than a 37" LCD panel and has a softness that is more "analoguey" - funny what we all like, eh?

(As for LCD depth of picture, you should see 3D LCD widescreen that Philips have got.. the one where you don't need specs and the things really do seem to come out at you.. I'm not sure it's going to catch on, to be honest, but advertisers are apparently very keen on the concept. I just thought it was a bit freaky, you don't expect things to leap out of the screen at you. Well, not without drinking a large amount of mushroom tea. The idea of 3d Andrex toilet rolls or the Cillit Bang nutter leaping out towards me..I can't see myself paying extra for the expereince. It's going to scare children and pets for sure.)

I've only ever experienced seeing screen retention once on my Panny plasma and that was with Bank Shot Billiards 2. But it cleared a few minutes later. I'm pretty confident using my consoles on my Panny plasma. But only with short to medium long gaming sessions. For certain games though - and piece of mind - i often use my Sony Bravia LCD set. In my view modern LCD screens can be very very impressive - if set up correctly that is ! :lesson:

Having said that plasma does have a certain magic that LCD sometimes just can't match. But that's a matter of opinion at the end of the day. :)

lol i had every confidence that Pooon's set would of cleared the retention, as the Panasonic plasma screens are one of the most robust in the business :smashin:

Dynamic!!!! don't swear at me :)

i'll try the white jpeg if it no better when i get home
I see! :D

I only use cinema setting when playing games, although through component it can sometimes seem quite dark.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom