Noontec V8 NAS

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by Big John, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Big John

Big John
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, please be gentle as this is my first venture in to your world and I am hoping some will know the answer to a problem I have with my Noontec NAS V8.

I bought this in December 2011 and use it for storage of files, music, pictures and films, the usual stuff. When I first got the unit I could also look at Youtube, and internet TV. I recently had a sort out of equipment and rewired my setup. On checking all my connections to the Tv,DVD,Humax etc I thought I would also check out the running of the V8 and all is well with storage and LAN connection to my Win 7 PC but there seems to be a problem with connecting to the Noontec server as I can no longer get Youtube or internet TV. It is getting the weather stations and text news with the correct date and time so I know the internet is working on it.

Any suggestions apart from making it a permanent "brick" paper weight! :lease:

Update:

I have found out today that my problems are all to do with Noontec shutting down their server for access to the Youtube etc. on the V8.

Any one converted a V8 to windows or Nas4free?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  2. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,113
    The Noontec V8 is a Realtek 1185 based media player it seems so that means your stuck with whats on it.

You could possibly use a PC DLNA server like Serviio with some plugins for websites like iPlayer, though for something standalone your probably looking at a new box like a WDTV Live Hub for instance which has Youtube built in.

3. Big John

Big John
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for your help.I did look at the WD Live before I bought the Noontec but as always I went with the majority who said the noontec was better.

However, when I look closley at the spec etc of the WD Live it does say "These streaming services may be changed, terminated or interrupted at any time."

I think I will keep the V8 as a NAS as it works very well and when the money permits I might got for a Shuttle XS35GS V3 and use to access the web. It is small enough to sit behind the TV.

Again thanks for your help.

4. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,113
    A cheaper option might be an Android HDMI stick like one of these, provided your okay with using a wireless mouse or something similar on it, that will get Youtube (which isn't going to disappear from Android) and some other services though not all Android platforms are 100% compatible with all Android apps.

It will also handle common video types & you can share out a USB drive via the various samba file server apps on Android store.

5. Big John

Big John
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What a wonderfull bit of kit/idea, I never knew such a thing existed.
    I already have mini keyboard with wireless connection which works very well.

I will have a good read of the rikomagic page and their equipment and may come back with a few questions if I may.

Thanks.