Noobie would like help with a Barco set up PLEASE

T

turner2

:clap: managed to get the monster home, (barco pj ) know nothing about setting it up at all, powers up nothing on lens, need to know where to put audio leads, basic set up proceedure, make it easy becuase the idiot setting up is my husband:D jane

T

turner2

Barco data plus m432260, 90 00280 that is all that is on barco, how do you hear if no audio, do you have to connect to computer to be able to switch on and watch it, got no remote thanks tom

Chris Frost

Hi Jane & Tom, glad to see you took my advice on starting a thread. Now let's see if we can get you the help you need.

MadMrH - can we get this thread title changed to something more appropriate for a noob seeking help? (Done - Andy H)

Background info:
Barco Data Plus pj donated to Turner2 (Jane) by GlennR (top bloke :thumbsup: ).

Max scan rate is 27kHz. For this application we are running at 15kHz for PAL & NTSC. Inputs are composite and RGBvideo (15kHz). The convergence is done manually. The pj will be table top mounted.

An install manual for similar model (BD600) has been downloaded from Curt Palmes site.

Screen is a pull down 54" wall mounted. I presume that the AR is 4:3 and 54" is the diagonal.

Sources: TV via VCR tuner & Sky box, and VCR for Janes tape collection. No DVD at this stage.

Objectives: To get this pj working for the minimum financial outlay with the existing sources in Janes temporary accomodation.

Where we are not going with this is prog scan, ceiling mounted, HTPC, Sky HD or anamorphic so we need to keep things very much on topic.

Existing skills: Janes partner is called Tom. He has some TV engineering knowledge but has never converged a pj before.

Info required from Jane & Tom:
  1. please measure the width and height of the white part of the pj screen.
  2. Measure from floor to bottom of the white area of the screen.
  3. Measure height of table/cabinet that pj will sit on.
  4. Is the floor the same level where the screen is and where the pj will be?
  5. What connection cables do you have?
Advice required from forum members:
  1. pj distance, height and angle.
  2. connection advice re RGB from Sky box into pj.
  3. lens alignment, focus & convergence.
OK, let's see how things progress :D

Chris Frost

turner2 said:
Barco data plus m432260, 90 00280 that is all that is on barco, how do you hear if no audio, do you have to connect to computer to be able to switch on and watch it, got no remote thanks tom
Most* projectors just do the picture. For sound you need some wires from the VCR and Sky box in to a stereo.

* pjs used in pubs are the exception. Your old 150 had an TV aerial socket and some speaker sockets so it worked more like a TV. It still needed separate speakers though.

Regards

T

turner2

Thanks Chris
What cables do we need

Screen is width 39inches by 40 inches high

Floor to bottom of white area is 37inches

height of cabinet 35.1/2 inches high

Floor level is same for pj and screen

Thanks you guys Jane

cosaw

Novice Member
I'd love to help but am unfamiliar with the analogue sets. Regarding pj distance I don't think the lens programm works on screens less than 55" in width. Using 1.5 rule of thumb. You're looking at 40 x 1.5 = 60" throw. So thats 5 foot from projector to screen - maybe a good place to start and then move the pj back or forward to get the image to fit your screen optimally.. Sorry I can't be more helpful but it may give you an idea.

Cabinet sounds about right if pj will be sitting on top of it and given the position of the bottom part of your screen.

T

turner2

H! m8
SO NEW TO THIS WE ARE STILL IN NAPPIES,WE HAVE NO IDEA WHAT SO EVER OR ABOUT CABLES ECT:
THANKS JANE

Barcoing Mad

To start with you need one video cable from VCR to PJ. Does your VCR have a yellow RCA o/p on it? This will be the composite line which can be hooked into your PJ via a length of 75 R coax cable (e.g. RG 59U). Maplin sell the things.

Tell your husband to take the install manual to the bog with him and to read it.

A

AV nutter

Hey tom no phoning me from the bog mate dont mind helping but the bog to read man what next lol.mike

T

turner2

av nutter said:
Wont be long before you wearing huggies
Long time since we both wore them

barcoing mad said:
Tell your husband to take the install manual to the bog with him and to read it
HaHa think I will try that, Thanks just going to check cables

Back of vcr AV2in, AV1(EuroAV), audio output then plug with tv above it, then plug above that with nothing on thank you

Chris Frost

turner2 said:
Thanks Chris
What cables do we need

Screen is width 39inches by 40 inches high

Floor to bottom of white area is 37inches

height of cabinet 35.1/2 inches high

Floor level is same for pj and screen

Thanks you guys Jane
Janes screen sounds like it is a 1:1 ratio OHP screen. It has no black masking at the top.

Jane & Tom,
to make a picture the correct shape for video and TV we need a picture 39" wide x 29" high. This makes the screen diagonal of about 48".

T

turner2

Hi Chris
Screen is boots jolly made in italy, its on a stand, round edge of white area is black box, measure 54ins from corner to corner and as tensioner jane

Chris Frost

turner2 said:
Hi Chris
Screen is boots jolly made in italy, its on a stand, round edge of white area is black box, measure 54ins from corner to corner and as tensioner jane
Ah, then it's a 1:1 ratio cinefilm screen. The same advice still applies. The 4:3 picture size should be 49" diagonal (29" high) to make sure that people and objects aren't squeezed tall and thin.

Regards

A

AV nutter

But toms still going to need remote to set up pj anyone have one he can have or will mine work baros 801s remote for him and jane ty.mike

Mad Mr H

Novice Member
CONFIRMED SO FAR.......

1. the screen is a 1:1 ratio screen.

the best starting point is to set the PJ 5 foot from the front of lens to the screen,

For NOW it does not matter how high up the screen the image is. - the FINAL aim is to have the picture 39 inches wide and 29 inches high

Moving the PJ towards and away from the screen will decrease or increase the with of projection - thats an important point to know (you cannot zoom a CRT projector, you have to move it)

2. As THIS pj is a MANUAL convergence NO remote is required for the setup.

3. Your VCR has SCART outputs - they are the 21 pin, almost rectangular sockets, from these we can get the audio and video signals you will need.

The AUDIO signals will need to go to an "intergrated amplifier" (one which has the amps AND selection of inputs in one unit), OR a system that has a "pre amp" and then "amplifier" to run the speakers.

You will require a cable long enough to go from your VCR to your Amplifier - That is the AUDIO system , so you will need to buy a SCART to phono cable the length you require.

THAT cable will also carry the video signal.......

What I think is best is that you buy a SCART to SIX PHONOS cable long enough to reach the Amplifier from the VCR - that will give you AUDIO and VIDEO from the VCR (the SIX PHONOS actually give you in and out of the VCR but its worth having both, other wise you could buy the in or out only and get the wrong cable)

This cable will give you what is called "COMPOSITE" video, I think for now this will be a good starting point (Chris mentioned an RGB signal BUT the VCR might not output that, and I dont know the PJ so cant help with the inputs - A PICTURE if possible of the inputs on the PJ would help me)

So some pics to help......

SCART PLUG

Phono Connectors Female then Male

MALE BNC Connector

FEMALE BNC Connector

Adapts FROM Male BNC TO Male Phono

Adapts FROM Male Phono TO Male BNC

SO we need to know what type of connector is on your Projector marked VIDEO INPUT???

For now I hope that is a help............

GlennR

Novice Member
The PJ will need a video source to fire up the tubes. This is a BNC connection on the Barco composite input. I have given Tom (Turner 2) a suitable connector with bared cables suitable for pairing with a phono plug and stripping the cables to use with any composite output device. (DVD Etc)

There also is a switch on the numerous analogue controls which activates the internal grid suitable for setting the focus and convergence. Which is a good starting point!

There is No, need to get any deeper at this stage until this basic setup is achieved.

Hope this helps.........

A

AV nutter

Hi was talking with tom via phone today he dosnt have a yellow output on vid so hes got himself a female to female phono connector on my advice to go from scart out on 3 phono but only using the yellow for compisite and that should work fingers x lol.mike

Mad Mr H

Novice Member
If you use the BNC lead provided, and solder it to a scart connector that would cost you about £1.00

The Screen (outer braid) of the video cable gors to pin 17 on the scart plug

The "Signal" or center core of the cable goes to pin 19 on the scart - this is VIDEO SIGNAL OUT.

That would be the cheapest option and give you a picture.

BUT IS VIDEO ONLY, the use of a scart to multi phonos IS you best option to allow VIDEO and later AUDIO connection.

I will also try and find a better scart picture - NOW I have checked again its in German !!!! (Nice one Andy :oops: )

A

AV nutter

Hi guys just talked Tom through the steps of comming from scart out to phono then female to female connector then phono to BNC connector still nothing has few green leds some yellow leeds and two red showing im lost.

Just seems what ever way we try no signal. Mind you, you guys are working in the dark. does not help.

Mike

Mad Mr H

Novice Member
As I understand you have a "scart to 3 phono adaptor" on the back of your VCR.

they should be red white and yellow female phono connectors and a male Scart

please note: the above picture also shows an option for svhs from a scart socket as well.

THESE ones shown have an INPUT / OUTPUT switch.

this is VERY important, if you have the WRONG in or out or NO SWITCH then you might not get a picture and have a 50/50 chance of success, with a switch you should get things to work.

ALSO the Phono connector you have soldered to the BNC cable, the outer braid/screen MUST go to the outer connection on the Phono, the inner core of the cable MUST go to the center pin of the Phono

It would also be good to hear which LEDS are RED

A

AV nutter

Am talking with jane as i post this where the leds are on the side have 6 yellow showing lit up and 1 green red not dose that help a bit morebottom right hand corner two rows of them3 on the top row yellow and 3 bottom and 1 grren on top red below it ok try this looking from left to right on the leds top row first 3 yellow 4led green second row from left to right yellow and 4 red

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month

Latest News

Anthem launches latest AV receivers, processors and amplifiers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Naim and Focal discount premium music systems
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 28th October 2020
  • By Phil Hinton