• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Noobie: Soft mod query

thetargetarcher

Established Member
Hi,

I still do not know which soft mod is installed on my Xbox as no-one has replied telling me exactly what files to look for using the File explorer on my emulator disk. I do not have any of the SD,007 or mechassualt game saves on the hard drive BUT the xbox plays the emulator disk and backup games.

My new question is this:

Is it okay to install a new soft mod using the soft mod kit which is being passed around in the other thread? My Xbox states:

K 1.00.5838.01
D 1.00.5960.01

Would it be safe to do this and is it basically the same as when you re-install Windows on a PC?

I was in Game earlier today and I purchased as part of their 3 for 2 offer a copy of Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell (2002) which was priced at £3.99. On the back of the box it states 9 missions. It is not a classics or a best of box. I assume this is the correct version and game used for soft modding. The front picture is of a special forces person kneeling on a grate in the floor with green light coming up from the grate.

Can I install XBMC and not bother with putting a new soft mod on my Xbox or am I better off putting a new soft mod on and then installing XBMC?

Apart from the Splinter Cell game, I also have a 8MB Thrustmaster memory card and a cable which is both a controller extension and a Xbox controller to PC USB lead meaning that the Xbox controller can be used on the PC.

Do I need a Xbox cross over cable from somewhere like Ebay? Does this simply just plug into my Xbox and the Network card on my PC?

Sorry to post a long message. I just want to be totally clear on soft modding, XBMC and the DVD region free program.

Thanks for your help.

JeLLyMaN

Established Member
Hi,

The game should be this one; http://www.chronicgames.net/pics/xbox_splintercell.jpg - I'm pretty sure you have the right game as 'classic' or anything else isn't listed on the cover.

Yes it's ok to install the softmod on your system using the kit thats passed around here - but if you have the Splinter Cell game and 8MB Card w/ a cable - you might as well do it yourself!

Using the kit that's being passed around here, or using a different softmod tutorial, you can install XBMC.

Yes - unless you have a ROUTER you'll need a crossover ethernet cable (not a regular ethernet cable), that will then plug straight from your XBOX>PC or PC>XBOX, depending on how you look at it.

As for the game saves, they can be found here: http://rapidshare.com/files/23208039/sid45.rar

If you need something that will open RAR files (as the above link is) you can get WinRAR at http://www.rarlab.com/rar/wrar37b6.exe - the evaluation copy will work fine (no need to purchase).

To transfer the game saves you'll need either the Xploder or Action Replay software. Again depending on the software you'll need certian game saves, both are included in the link above.

Finally, GameShark is the game saves you'll need if you use the Xploder software.

thetargetarcher

Established Member
Hi,

The game should be this one; http://www.chronicgames.net/pics/xbox_splintercell.jpg - I'm pretty sure you have the right game as 'classic' or anything else isn't listed on the cover.

Yes it's ok to install the softmod on your system using the kit thats passed around here - but if you have the Splinter Cell game and 8MB Card w/ a cable - you might as well do it yourself!

Using the kit that's being passed around here, or using a different softmod tutorial, you can install XBMC.

Yes - unless you have a ROUTER you'll need a crossover ethernet cable (not a regular ethernet cable), that will then plug straight from your XBOX>PC or PC>XBOX, depending on how you look at it.

As for the game saves, they can be found here: http://rapidshare.com/files/23208039/sid45.rar

If you need something that will open RAR files (as the above link is) you can get WinRAR at http://www.rarlab.com/rar/wrar37b6.exe - the evaluation copy will work fine (no need to purchase).

To transfer the game saves you'll need either the Xploder or Action Replay software. Again depending on the software you'll need certian game saves, both are included in the link above.

Finally, GameShark is the game saves you'll need if you use the Xploder software.

Thanks for your help.

I did download and copy the iso file of the CASH v1.1 on to a cdr but my Xbox didn't recognise the disc. Guess my xbox can't read cdr discs... as I do not have a dvd writer I better wait for one of the forum kits to reach me or when I get some time look into how to FTP over the software (XBMC, the DVD player etc.) although I only have the MS Dash showing -so no FTP menu on the Xbox. The Xbox has been soft modded as it does play back ups but I have no idea of what was used as the game saves were removed.

A solution would be if someone could send me a DVD of Cash V1.1 so I can get XBMC, the dvd player and the FTP installed. I'll cover the P&P and cost of the dvd disc.

JeLLyMaN

Established Member
If you have;

a 8mb or larger memory card,
usb > memory card cable (vice versa as well i guess?),
splinter cell

You don't need the CASH disk. Simply download the game savse I listed above (http://rapidshare.com/files/23208039/sid45.rar), copy them to your memory card using the 'hacked' action replay software OR Xploder software (both saves are in the rar file), put Splinter Cell in your xbox and load up the game save thats named 'linux', this will then boot into the 'softmod' menu.

If you're gonna do that, once you're in the softmod menu simply backup your dash and C/E drive(s) just incase anything goes wrong, then go ahead and install the softmod of your choice (I chose Knave's Ndure, Open Tray = Retail with the EvoX dash).

Once thats installed you can get FTP access, FTP over XBMC and then make XBMC the dash (when you turn on ur xbox, XBMC loads automatically).

thetargetarcher

Established Member
If you have;

a 8mb or larger memory card,
usb > memory card cable (vice versa as well i guess?),
splinter cell

You don't need the CASH disk. Simply download the game savse I listed above (http://rapidshare.com/files/23208039/sid45.rar), copy them to your memory card using the 'hacked' action replay software OR Xploder software (both saves are in the rar file), put Splinter Cell in your xbox and load up the game save thats named 'linux', this will then boot into the 'softmod' menu.

If you're gonna do that, once you're in the softmod menu simply backup your dash and C/E drive(s) just incase anything goes wrong, then go ahead and install the softmod of your choice (I chose Knave's Ndure, Open Tray = Retail with the EvoX dash).

Once thats installed you can get FTP access, FTP over XBMC and then make XBMC the dash (when you turn on ur xbox, XBMC loads automatically).

I thought I required the Cash disk to get the Evox dash or Unleash dash installed after copying the game saves to the memory card and running them via the Splinter Cell game.

That sounds great that I don't need to use a copy of the Cash Disk.

Thank you very much for clearing up my confusion.

sibeer

Prominent Member
EvoX or Unleash X can be installed from the game saves, CASH is for installing XBMC and other apps too large to go on a memory card. Try burning on a CDRW if possible as these are far more compatible with Xbox drives.

I would be very carefull though if you already have a softmod installed. It could clash with the new softmod completely.

thetargetarcher

Established Member
Update: I finally managed to get the KNAVE SID 4.5 Splinter Cell exploits over to my Xbox (launcher and pal). Ran Splinter Cell and loaded Linux. I used the File Explorer menu and looked on my C drive.

I have the following files in both C:\fonts and E:\Backup/Mod/fonts:

bert_generic.xtf
ernie.xtf
s.xtf
s2.xtf
s3.xtf

C:\SID :

config.xml
loader.xbe
sid.xbe
unleash.xbe

C:\files\ :

c.zip
e.zip
evox.zip
f.zip
g.zip
unleash.zip

There is also a c:\SID3 folder

There are directories etc on the C: E: drives etc.

When I press button A on Unleash.xbe under C:\ it loads up Softmod Installer Deluxe 3.

There is not an option to uninstall the SID 3 mod completely in this menu.

Would selecting 'restore MSdash' take the xbox back to its retail state? Then I could go about installing SID 4.5.

OR

As I appear to have SID 3 installed is it safe to just go ahead and install SID 4.5 mod? Would this simply just overwrite and update everything or would it mess up my Xbox?

From what I have read SID 3 uses the nkpatcher method.

Still a bit confused!

Cheers for your help

thetargetarcher

Established Member
Finally managed to gain ftp access with the SID 3 install on my Xbox. Having transferred game saves to my PC I was able to carry out an install using a Krayzie Ndure Cash V1.1.1 Disc (I managed to burn it to a CDRW which my Xbox was able to read).

Thanks for your help.

JeLLyMaN

Established Member
Sorry, been busy in real life so havn't had time to check up here.

For anyone else wondering, yes selecting 'restore msdash' would return the xbox to retail state in which then you could install any other softmod.

Glad to know you got it sorted mate.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom