1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Noobie questions

Discussion in 'TVs' started by jonallwright, Sep 4, 2005.

1. jonallwright

jonallwright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay I'm v new to this HD lark, in fact i knew nothing until 3 days ago when my CRT blew up and now know that it exists and is dead good.
    Q1 can i connet my HD DVD player with just with a hdmi cable and if i can will i be able to play my existing dvds, vcds divx over this connection

Q2 if i download content from tinternet in what format does it go onto a dvd,

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    By HD DVD player I assume you mean it's capable of upscaling DVD's to HD spec and sending the results via HDMI to a suitable panel?
    If so then yes, get yourself a HD Ready display and away you go.
    As for disks with divx material then I do not know how your player would process them in relation to HDMI or if indeed it's capable of upscaling non DVD spec video.

Virtually any video format can be converted to DVD spec and played on a DVD player, some players obviously can handle divx/xvid encoded files as well as VCD/SVCD.

3. jonallwright

jonallwright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have just bought a toshiba 32wl56 and a matching 350e hd dvd player, so all i need to connect the 2 is a hdmi cable then?

4. dan1979

dan1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    Yes if that's the input you have - you don't have an HD DVD though player since they have not been released yet and won't be for some time, what you have like mentioned above is a DVD player capable of upscaling to HD