Question Noobie questions about Shelly 2 dimmable module

techno79

I started an initial thread here (Question - Confused about wifi enabled smart light switches) which opened my eyes to the Shelly 2 dimmable module (thanks to @sbriggs ).

I've also read this recent thread about Shelly 2 (Shelly Dimmer 2) which helped give me some more info.

I'm probably still several months away from upgrading my house which has either rotary dimmers or toggle switches (the cheap basic variety). Anyway, my noobie questions are:
  1. Am I right in thinking, I need one Shelly 2 module per switch? So an existing 4 gang switch panel will need 4 separate modules?
  2. How responsive is it to physical switch commands as well as from the mobile app? Any lag?
  3. Does anyone know how much more power this will consume when connected to a non-neutral switch vs being connected at a switch which has neutral wires?
  4. I heard about Shelly 1 and Shelly 2.5? Are these different products or are they different versions of the Shelly 2?
  5. If different versions, what does Shelly 2.5 have over 2?
  6. Does Shelly 2 have a child lock feature? Preventing on or off?
  7. Can you configure the dimmest and brightest thresholds for dimmable lights?
  8. Is there a safe compatible list of dimmable LED spotlights?
  9. Can you configure the lights to softly fade out when turned off, and softly fade in when turned on? Can you configure each of these durations separately?
  10. When turning on, will it revert to max brightness or the last brightness setting? Is this configurable?
  11. Assume there are two separately wired lights, each with their own single switch. If each switch is fitted with a Shelly 2, can it be configured that each switch will control both lights?
  12. Can you use the Shelly app to control your lights when you're away from the home network?
  13. Is Shelly 2 designed to be installed DIY by the home owner? Or needs a qualified electrician?
  14. What's the approx cost I'd be looking at to get a qualified electrician to fit this?
  15. I read that Shelly 2 is great for tinkers, but how is it for those who do not want to tinker? Once I've configured it the way I want, I would not want to tinker?
  16. How reliable is Shelly 2? I will hear no end of it from my wife if works any less reliably than standard non-smart switches?
  17. Once configured, if I have internet outage, will it all work as normal from within the wifi network? I know Philips Hue continues to work even when you do not have Internet (obviously, you need to be on the same internal network).
  18. With regards to the actual switches, I was reading the other post and again have just learnt about the Scolmore Gridpro switches. I never knew such modular products exist with so many options. Are these a good brand to go for or are there better modular switch brands worth considering?
  19. If I was to fit this for every light switch, then I calculate I have 37 switches split between 18 plates. Are the following approx costs correct?
    1. £20 per switch for Shelly 2 (37 x £20 = £740)
    2. Average £10 per plate (18 x £10 = £180)
    3. Average £10 per switch (37 x £10 = £370)
    4. So total cost for above parts is around £1,290.
    5. Any hub required?
Thanks in advance and sorry for the bombarded noob questions

Seb Briggs

Distinguished Member
There is a lot going on there , and what I and others are normally paid for.

As I don’t work for Shelly I’ll decline to answer

If you want to pay for consultation I will be happy to arrange a fee , I’m not expensive in these cases and can save you loads

techno79

There is a lot going on there , and what I and others are normally paid for.

As I don’t work for Shelly I’ll decline to answer

If you want to pay for consultation I will be happy to arrange a fee , I’m not expensive in these cases and can save you loads

I'm not looking to install things right now but when I do then happy to pay for consultation and professional fitting. However, this is just very early stages and I thought most of these questions could be easily answered via forums, no?

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom