noobie question time :)

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by tim68, Aug 19, 2012.

1. tim68

tim68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    Hi all. my apols if it a stupid question to ask, I have a pair of Kef R500 speakers bi-amped running from a marantz sr7005,

which would give better sound quality ?

a seperate power amp for the mains

or bi-amped from the marantz av

Thanks very much

Tim

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,434
    In theory a power amp would give you the best sound quality assuming you got one of good quality. Whether you would notice the improvement and if it is worth the expense only your ears can tell you.

3. tim68

tim68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    hi Psm1. thanks for reply.

ill ask my local dealer for a home demo. not looking to spend much, budget around £600, i could push a little more for something like the AudioLab 8200p. dont mind buying second hand either.

any others i should look at in the same price range ?.

4. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,434
    If just looking for a stereo power amp then you will often find Arcam ones going for reasonable money on ebay.

5. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,167
    While you are free to choose anything you want. I'm finding it hard be believe that KEF R500 and the Marantz SR7005 are not already a stellar system in their price range; very high quality speakers, and a very musical AV amp.

Though I think both options will give you some improvement.

Bi-Amping using unused rear channels is free. So certainly give it a try. A likely improvement, and the price is right.

Adding a power amp to the front channels has certainly work well for many people. But I think most of them do so because the end up with a spare amp laying around. If you are buying new equipment, rather than an AV Receiver and a power amp, you are probably just better off buying a better AV Receiver.

In your case, if you can find a real deal on a Stereo amp, and you don't mind spending the money, you can certainly try it out, and very likely you will like what you hear. But, the underlying question is, is it worth the expense?

I think if you are buying a new amp, it become questionable. Certainly an improvement, but is it worth the cost? However, if you can find the right used amp at the right price, very like you will be extremely pleased with the results.

There should be plenty of Rotel and Arcam power amps out there to choose from.

So, there are a lot of Subtle factors that need to be weighed.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  6. tim68

tim68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    thanks for ur replys. i think ur right, i borrowed a power amp, i didnt think it was enough to warrant the outlay after a couple of hours listening and realising thats not the problem.

i recently changed my sub to a bk 400 model while it has clean and tight base, its made my system a bit on the bright side which isnt something im keen on as i prefer a bit warmer sound.

Tim