1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Noobie Projector Help - BENQ PE5120

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by braindancer, Jul 7, 2005.

1. braindancer

braindancer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Everyone in the forums.

I am another person who is tempted to buy a cheap Projector.
    Basically I will want to use it mostly for watching DVDs, playing computer games(PC), and maybe watching the odd football match(Through a no-thrills DigiBox).

My room is fairly small(about 10'x11'), and not especially dark or bright(I can shut the curtains to a point) ;)

I was hoping to not spend much more than £500 on a projector, and about £100 on a nice screen(since my wallpaper is stripy).

The Projector I quite like the look though reviews/user comments at the mo is the BENQ PE5120 - seems ideal for a noobie Projector buyer (seen it cheapest for about £480).

Since there is nowhere near me to demo it, I think Ill just have to bite the bullet and buy it online, and send it back if I suffer badly from the "Rainbow" effect.

Looking at the projector calculator on www.projectorcentral.com if I stick it at the back of my room(about 3M), I should be able to get a screen size of about 150cm X 89cm, which I guess would suit me fine.Does that sound about right?

Anyway, I have lots of questions!!
    1) Anyone used the 5120 for gaming? Can you play PC games at 16:9?

2) My DVD and PC only have S-video outs(no component) will the quality still be ok? is it worth buying a new DVD player just for component out?

3) If I try to view something designed for 4:3 will it still appear ok?

4) how to connect my digibox - only has a scart output.

5) What screen should I get? any recommendations :D

Im sure Ill come back with some more :D

Thanks for any help

2. Lucas

Lucas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    From 3m back you can get a larger picture. You can get 101x180cm from 2.8.

1) You could play games in 16:9 provided the game is in that aspect. If not you can show-it in the 4:3 aspect with black bars on either side loosing some resolution.

2) I think that composite/Svideo quality is not good enough. You should get a DVD with component out or use your PC to play the DVDs...

3) Should be OK with black bars on either side so smaller picture.

4) The Digibox can be connected either via a SCart to composite cable (not very good quality) or through a Scart to Svideo converter, better or through a Scart to component converter (best quality-but costly... around 120 quid)

5) Depends on whether you can utilise the full 3m from front of pj lens to screen. You could make it with a 92". The best bet is to go for 80" (100x177cm)

3. braindancer

braindancer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the tips Lucas. :thumbsup:

Now some more questions :smashin:

Is S-video really not worth bothering with?

In my current set up, I have a Scart Box, with 3 scart inputs
    (from Digibox, from pc(s-video to scart converter), and from my DVD player)
    From there they are connected to my TV(via scart).

If I was to buy a Scart--->component cable(the costly one!) and then scart out from my scart box into the component in to the PJ, would this give me good quality outs for my dvd/pc/digibox?
    (hope that made sense!)

Thanks

4. Lucas

Lucas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    With SVideo quality, you will have to decide if it is good enough for you.
    There is no comparison with component or DVI.

Well, it depends.

I doubt that the scart box does any conversion. In most likelihood, it passes the signals it receives straight through.

The Digibox and DVD have RGB output through SCART so they can be converted to component via (not a cable) the Scart to Component box.

The PC's Svideo you can forget.
    Why not use the VGA output of the PC Video Card (If it doesn't have a DVI output) and through the 5120 bundled DVI-VGA adapter connect it to the 5120 DVI-I port.

5. braindancer

braindancer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again Lucas.

Since I have both a DVI & VGA out on my PC(I have a Radeon 9600Pro) I think its best I use my PC for both playing DVDs and Gaming. Obviously I`d much rather use my DVD player but since it does`nt have component out best stick to DVI on the PC. If its worth it I might buy a new DVD player just for the component connections.

As for the digibox, I think I`ll stick using the scart to svideo out on it(to PJ)...I appreciate the quality wont be so good but I wont be using it that much to consider spending 120 on a special cable/box.

There seems to be many types of DVI cable(DVI/I,DVI/d,etc), I guess I need to be careful and get the right one?

DVI is the same quality as Component?

Sorry, I`ll stop asking boring questions soon :boring:

6. sniffer66

sniffer66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,214
    I have a 5120 and have played around with all the inputs - component/DVI-D/A and svideo

Connection from the PC via DVD-D is far superior to anything else. You can also use your PC as a scaler (free Dscaler) to improve quality

I bought my DVI-D cable from Lindy (lindy.co.uk) - they have a guide on cable lengths and picture quality. You need to be careful not to exceed the max length for your cable run otherwise the picture can degrade

7. braindancer

braindancer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks sniff.

How do I get my PC to output at 854x480 (WVGA) to the PJ since it is not a standard resolution? Will it magically appear on the list once I plug in my PJ into my PC(using ATI 9600Pro)?

Or do I need some extra software?

:cool:

8. Lucas

Lucas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I am not sure if the new catalyst drivers allow the activation of the non-standard resolutions....

But, go to rage3d.com and there is a utility (rage3d tweak) there that allows you to enable them.

But also try 1280x720. I heard some people who noticed an improvement by giving the projector this resolution and then letting it scale it down.

Even if it doesn't make sense, since theoretically the PC is a much better scaler......

9. braindancer

braindancer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Lucas.

Sorry another question. :devil:

Which sort of screen should I get? I`m not a DIY type and I`d be happy to spend about ~100 quid on a cheap screen - I quite like the idea of a manual pull down one.

Does it matter what screen type/material I go for this BENQ PE5120(DLP) ?

Also how do I convince the misses to allow me to buy all this? :D

10. sniffer66

sniffer66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,214
    I use Powerstrip as I have a dual head dvi/vga ATI 9600 card. I do VGA to my plasma and DVI to the 5120. Powerstrip is nice as it lets you set the different resolutions for each output easily. I've tried 856x480 to the 5120 via DVI and TBH it looks too blocky. I upscale my Sky+/PC DVD sources to 1280x720p on the PC then let the 5120 d'scale. this gives a far smoother picture IMO

11. braindancer

braindancer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks,

I`m so close to buying it now just my better half keeps nagging me that I don`t need it :lesson:

Can anyone recommend a good screen for this projector?

:lease:

12. braindancer

braindancer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I`ve just ordered by BENQ PE5120 from savastore for £480, hopefully it will arrive tomorrow.

First things I will test are Half life 2 in widescreen and star wars, I`ll post pics if anyones interested ;)

I did`nt buy a screen yet, in case I suffer badly from these "rainbows" and need to return the BENQ, but I`ve seen a nice screen for about 100 quid, nothing special but should suit me fine.

:smashin:

13. Lucas

Lucas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  14. braindancer

braindancer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  15. braindancer

braindancer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I got the BENQ today, I`ve been playing around with it most of this evening, and I have to say I`m dead chuffed :clap:

I watched star wars with my gf(who was sceptical before I got this pj), but she was won over afterwards :D

I had a quick play on doom3/half life 2, both look very impressive on a huge screen(I did`nt measure it, but it was about 70/80")

I did try looking for rainbows, I don`t think I really saw any, and when I did, it was only out of the corner of my eye, and barely noticeable.

I don`t have a proper screen yet, so I`m using a old white sheet tacked to my wall(don`t laugh!!!) works ok but I know it`ll be better when I get a proper screen. :smashin:

One thing I did notice is this box gets very warm, I was planning to place it next to the wall, but I might move it forward a foot so it won`t set light to the wall paper :eek:

anyway, I`m off to play and buy a screen(and a longer DVI cable!)

toodles

16. braindancer

braindancer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I got myself a nice screen(about 92") from about 3 Metres.

Heres some pics if anyones interested :smashin:

Half life 2, the movie "constantine", and some footy

:D

Attached Files:

17. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Brilliant :thumbsup:

18. Lucas

Lucas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Looks great!

19. braindancer

braindancer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for all the help peeps.

Ok...next step :D

I`m currently using a bog standard 2 speaker Hifi for outputting from my DVD/TV/PC....I'd quite like to some how set this up for 5.1...I am guessing I`d have to buy a brand new box to do this, and plug both my DVD/PC into it?

Would this be expensive? :thumbsdow

I already have some "spare" speakers lying around, wondering if I can do some sort of a mod :devil:

Sorry if this is now off topic :cool:

20. Lucas

Lucas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    You have 2 choices:
    1. Get an entry level AV Receiver and feed it the digital output of the PC and connect your (5+) speakers to get Dolby Digital/DTS surround.

2. Get powered speakers and connect them to the 5.1 output of the PC's sound card.

I think 1 is more appropriate.

21. richardcash

richardcash
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, the pics of the film and footy look really blocky to me but halflife doesnt seem to be. Is this right or is it the camera?

22. braindancer

braindancer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Think its the camera as I also had to resize the images as they were originally 500K :)