Noobie help

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Obokeeper, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Obokeeper

Obokeeper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I work at a university as an Audio Visual technician. To cut a long story short, we are good at installing our teaching room equipment but I have now been tasked with installing a cinema room - slightly out of my comfort zone.

So I am seeking your help :)

The room is 10m long by 6m wide and 2.7m high. I am looking at putting in a 1.5m x 2.66 m fixed screen (slight bottom of screen sight line issues but acceptable from the clients point of view).

I am happy with specifying the projector and control system, it is the receiver and speaker package I am unsure of.

I have a budget of £4-4.5k + VAT for the receiver and speakers. I was hoping to be able to go for a 7.2 system. My initial thoughts for the receiver are an Onkyo TXNR3010.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be most welcome (on speaker positioning as well as specifications)

Many thanks

Mark

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,053
    The issue you are going to have is where to make the split in your budget? THe speakers you'll need are going to have to be reasonbly discrete given the rooms purpose and potential users. You are supposed to allocate at least double the budget you spend o the receiver on the speakers that accompany it. I'd probably suggest you look at MK for the speakers given that MK speakers are of the type what you'd expect to find in a conventional cinema.

Gecko, What makes M&K loudspeakers the...

Home Cinema Speakers & Loudspeakers - MK Loudspeakers

The room's size requires serious amplification so I'd suggest you look at using a processor plus seperate power amps as opposed to an itegrated AV receiver. Something like Yamaha's MXA5000 plus the CXA5000 processor would be great, but would blow you budget before you even start looking at speakers.

EN - AVENTAGE Components / Yamaha @ IFA 2013

ABSOLUTE QUALITY. AVENTAGE CX-A5000 | MX-A5000

As to speaker positioning and layout of the room, you'd need to make a plan of where seating will be in relation to the screen with details such as how many seats across there will be and how many rows of seats will be in use. In rooms with rows of seats it is usuallybetter to use dipole or tripole speakers as surrounds. Dipoles are better if located to the sides of listeners sat in rows because they create a null that avoids them from becoming too localised in relation to listeners sat closer to the speakers than other listeners.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  3. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Extron do a range of systems for professional 5.1/7.2 auditorium systems but may well be outside the budget.

I will however work on a budgetary quote for you.

4. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Extron 7.1 Solution

1 x Surround Sound Processor 7.1
    4 x Two Channel Amplifier - 100 Watts Per Channel
    7 x Si28 Two-Way Surface Mount Speakers with 8" Woofer

Extron don't supply SubWoofers but budget around £500+

Total price without Sub £4400.00+Vat

Excluding interconnects, mounts etc.

[​IMG]
    (Ignore the CrossPoint Switcher as this for the Video element and assume you have this sorted)

We can provide supply only or an installation service, if need be I can also get an Extron technical guy to go through anything you are unsure of.