Noobie Help with Arcam and Kef Kit

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by marculos, Mar 28, 2018.

Tags:
  1. marculos

marculos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have come in to possession an Arcam AV700 Pre-amp, an Arcam P1000 power amp,
    Kef Model 2 speakers, jamo 200c speakers, rel strata 3 subs and a Kef Model 200c centre speaker. Guessing this was for some home cinema setup.

I don't have the room for alll of this so was thinking about keeping the kef model 2 speakers and a sub. What would be best practice in terms of setup as lots and lots of connections on the amps and instructions seem very complicated for this noob ! Will be using a raspberry pi with phat dac as music source.

Appreciate your help !

2. larkone

larkone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,225
    If you only want two channel then I would sell the the pre-amp, power and surround speakers to fund a good secondhand stereo amp. Better sound quality and easier setup. The REL sub has high level inputs so can be used with any amp.

3. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,548
  4. marculos

marculos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help peeps ! Going to test it all this weekend. I may keep some of it as long term plans for mancave and surround sound:)

5. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +573
    You mention you are new to this but I'm not sure how new so forgive me if I'm stating the obvious here. The AVP700 will have a huge selection of setting options and I'm assuming it's pre-owned so the first thing you might want to do is plug it into a TV so you can get the onscreen menu up and follow the manual to figure out how to reset everything to factory default in the menu.

In order to keep things simple, I would leave the sub out of the equation for the time being and just set up the KEF's. The processor will probably have something like a Stereo Direct mode which will bypass all processing and is likely to be the best place to start. I have no idea what the Phat DAC is like or for that matter what the 700's DAC's are like but I would consider connecting the Pi directly to the 700 as well as via the Phat DAC to see which does the better job.

AVR's can look horribly complicated due to the amount of inputs/outputs and settings available but you won't be using the majority of them with a 2 channel set up. If you get stuck with what goes where then there's plenty of us here that will help you. Let us know how you get on. Good luck!

6. marculos

marculos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Timmy, will try factory reset as you suggested..lots of bedtime reading ! I am pretty much a total noob when it comes to AV stuff.

Does anyone know what power cables the rel strata 3 subs use as didn't come with any ? Looks smaller than standard kettle lead. Appreciate the help guys and girls !