1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Noobie after 32" screen - here's my criteria, what do you guys reckon?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by wj209980, Mar 3, 2005.

1. wj209980

wj209980
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Originally I was after a 37" screen and was looking towards Plasma technology and in particular the Panny PW7, but after careful thought I decided I only really need a 32" screen (only viewing from 9ft away!)

This (in terms of budget) has brought LCD TV in to the realms of possibility. I wanted £2k to get me the screen and a surround sound set up, but Imay stretch as far as £2.5k if I can be convinced! :smashin:

Most of my viewing will be from my standard Amstrad SKY box, with a fair amount coming from DVD. I intend to purchase a new DVD player (not too bothered about a DVD recorder at the mo).

I'm simply after the best picture possible for my above requirements. The Phillips 32" seems to get good reviews - would it suit my needs? DOes it have HDMI connectivity? (I'm under the impression that this will be the future...) IS it HD-TV compatible?

Any help mucho appreciated :D

2. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Have a look at the HDTV thread that lists all the TV's that are OK, you will need to go for a TV with DVI and HDCP as you are not likely to get HDMI today.

3. wj209980

wj209980
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Ok, many thanx :D

4. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Here's my suggestion.

Philips 32PF9986 combined with the Denon DHT500SD Cinema system. All for less than £2400.

Works absolutely beautifully. The bonus is that the Denon has a Progressive DVD built into the 600W Reciever. I would skip digital DVD players right now as there is limited improvement over the Progressive 576p picture produced by standard Progressive players, and they will shortly (12 months or so) be superceded by the new wave of HD-DVD or Blue Ray DVD players.

Jimmy

5. wj209980

wj209980
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the suggestion - defo going to look into that :thumbsup:

6. wj209980

wj209980
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So then, for the best picture would I connect the above cinema system direct to the LCD via the component ports?

And what about my Amstrad Sky Box, what's the best way to connect this? In order to connect both, do I need to get an AV amp and then connect both the SKy Box and the DVD player to this, and then the AV amp to the screen?

So confusing all this :confused:

7. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I know, it's tricky.

Connect the TV to the Denon Cinema System via Component. (also to Ext3 via scart for menu access). Also connect the TV to the Denon with a Stereo phono lead to take care of the sound.

Connect the Sky box to the TV via RGB Scart to Ext1. Connect another Phono Lead from the Audio out on the Sky box to the Denon. (Sky+ users can connect to a Cinema Amp with an Optical connection too.)

Simple really.

Jimmy