• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Noob xbmc questions

Jimmy Grease

Established Member
Hi everyone just looking for some advice,

Im looking at running xbmc for streaming from the net and my nas i have seen it running on appletv but would prefer if i did not have to buy a new piece of hardware and im not really into apple.. Anyway i have a desktop, a netgear stora, a samsung smart tv,ps3 and 360 and other various tablets and pbones.. Now is there anyway i can install xbmc onto my smart tv?? Im thinking this would be the easiest option, or could i install it onto my stora and some home lainch it from a game console ? Im sorry folks im a complete noob at this i have done some google searches but found nothing that maxe any sense..

Any way thanks for any info.

moraybank

Established Member
You can't install Xbmc on your TV.

You could install it on your desktop via HDMI (if your graphic card supports it). This may not be a practical solution though.

I know nothing about your NAS but I very much doubt it, otherwise your NAS would be very popular. There are NAS' boxes which do Xbmc but I haven't seen one I like yet.

Realistically if you want XBMC you are going to need to buy new hardware, and a used ATV2 which has been jailbroken will still cost you a pretty penny.
Pivos and LBB offer Xbmc solutions for around the £90-100+ mark.

Otherwise build or buy an HTPC. Infact a HP Microserver with graphics card would be a perfect solution, NAS & HTPC running Xbmc combined in one box. The cheapest option out the lot would be to buy a Raspberry Pi and run Xbmc through it, although this would require a degree of tinkering.

Last edited:

jammyb2004

Established Member
Hi everyone just looking for some advice,

Im looking at running xbmc for streaming from the net and my nas i have seen it running on appletv but would prefer if i did not have to buy a new piece of hardware and im not really into apple.. Anyway i have a desktop, a netgear stora, a samsung smart tv,ps3 and 360 and other various tablets and pbones.. Now is there anyway i can install xbmc onto my smart tv?? Im thinking this would be the easiest option, or could i install it onto my stora and some home lainch it from a game console ? Im sorry folks im a complete noob at this i have done some google searches but found nothing that maxe any sense..

Any way thanks for any info.

Have I stumbled across a belated April fools?

Jimmy Grease

Established Member
Thanks for the suggestions and help guys i have found a atv2 jb on ebay for around the 100 mark ima think about getting that.. Thanks again

Jimmy Grease

Established Member
Hi again I have been looking at a android tv box anyone know what model I should go for

Cosmic phil

Established Member
Pivos xios ds or if you're willing to wait the little black box , gamestick , ouya , I would also consider the intel nuc for something a bit more powerful.

jammyb2004

Established Member
Wouldn't bother with the android boxes or a PI just yet. They're all slow and clunky.

Get a NUC or Lenovo Q190 or the gigabyte brix that's out next month.

planthead

Banned
The pi is certainly not clunky, i have just set one up, took 5 mins, with openelec xbmc, and its fantastic, it even uses the tv's cec system for remote, it will certainly replace one of wd tv lives, much nicer interface and controls, its very snappy with this remote as well,

Little_Black_Box_Remote.jpg

Which i bought for £20.00, after next010 found it on ebay,

jammyb2004

Established Member
The pi is clunky as hell with XBMC. Both rasp and OE! Add a hefty library to it and see how "smooth" it is then! And even then it might not play it due to codec limitations.

It'll do for a bedroom one with a bit of patience and a small library. I wouldn't want one for main living room!

The futures in the android boxes, they're getting better and better and more are coming out. They've already got the codec support the pi hasn't.

Only reason it's being stuck with is because its cheap. Double the budget and you're into android money.

But it's not quite there yet still and people will stick with Q190s and NUCs and home builds. I'd rather use them and if I wasn't at home I'd use something like a cyclone micro 2+ just so as not to have the hassle of a pi!

And yes, I've had a pi!

metalguru

Established Member
Have to say my Pi running Raspbmc plays beautifully with a very extensive film, tv and music library, I am running off a USB 3.0 stick though.:smashin:

planthead

Banned
Good to hear, my pi runs off a class 10 sd card, I am going to try using a USB, and one of the 8gb images on xbmchub, to see what that is all about. So far so good. I am going to secure the pi to the back of the wall mounted tv with a bit of strong Velcro. And use the cec as the remote. Btw I am using the metropolis skin, at the moment, quartz runs well too. Cheers.

low-def.

Prominent Member
I've been using a Pivos Xios DS for the last 4 weeks and I am very please with its performance. Allbeit running under a Linux build and not Android. The firmware and community firmware upgrading is straight forward when watching their 'How to' video's.

Its plays all files thrown at it, and the UI is smooth running on 2 x 2tb HDD's. The remote is a little flakey, but i just use the iOS app on my phone or pad.

Jimmy Grease

Established Member
Well at the moment I have xbmc running on my galaxy tab2 10.1 and it runs great I streamed a 1080p movie and in places it did get a bit choppy so when im streaming frkm ice films I just select dvd rip but so far so good, my next question is how do I mirror my tab2 screen onto my tv? I herd of a galaxy hub im going to try and reserch it now

Smallclone

Prominent Member
The pi is clunky as hell with XBMC. Both rasp and OE! Add a hefty library to it and see how "smooth" it is then! And even then it might not play it due to codec limitations.

Mine's ok. I have RaspBMC running of a USB stick as well as the SD card.

I have a large amount of movies on my NAS. It's running from a wired homeplug.

Not even overclocked yet.

Mark142

Established Member
Those that have android box and raspberry pi, which would you recommend as a secondary device in the bedroom to stream movies from NAS via homeplugs? Also if running a pi from USB does it make a big difference as if i go with a Pi it will probably be from USB. I assume USB2 is sufficient as its pointless running from a USB3 stick as the Pi does not support USB 3?
Thanks

Smallclone

Prominent Member
Those that have android box and raspberry pi, which would you recommend as a secondary device in the bedroom to stream movies from NAS via homeplugs? Also if running a pi from USB does it make a big difference as if i go with a Pi it will probably be from USB. I assume USB2 is sufficient as its pointless running from a USB3 stick as the Pi does not support USB 3?
Thanks

As I said, my Pi is fine with a homeplug on RaspBMC. I use it in the bedroom for streaming movies from NAS and catch up tv. Both work fine. Even 1080p mkvs.

I have not had a file that doesn't play yet. Though most are mkv and mp4.

RaspBMC on the USB makes a big difference to loading menu's etc.

metalguru

Established Member
I used a USB 3.0 stick as they are not much dearer than 2.0 and I knew it would max out the speed.:D

Plus so many fogeries are out there I just got one I felt was real.

Last edited:

goujam

Prominent Member
I use my pi with USB its certainly smoother viewing the film library than my class 10. But the main reason to use USB is a so that when you over clock your less likely to corrupt the SD card. I'm running my pi at 1ghz with the core and ram at 500mhz and it runs a very well much better than my wdtv SMP

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom