1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Noob with a buying problem ?!?!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by pJayflynn, Oct 21, 2005.

1. pJayflynn

pJayflynn
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,

Im new the the forum, so hi everyone

Im about to buy a screen and i'm stuck between the Panasonic PV500 and the Samsung SP50L7HX DLP Rear Projection.

Can anyone tell me the pro and cons of owning either.

Thanks

pJay

2. acrmorris

acrmorris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't give you a comparison, but I can tell you the main con of owning the 42pv500 - trying to fit housework around watching either freeview, sky, HD PC material or playing PS2 :D . The next con is trying to decide which of those to prioritise! :smashin:

Why are you stuck between those two? seems odd that demos bring you down to 2 completely different approaches to image production. Do you watch in the daylight, surf the internet a lot, watch mainly films or regular programs, how much space is available and how far is your seating position from the screen.

3. pJayflynn

pJayflynn
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    to answer your questions:-

Why are you stuck between those two? seems odd that demos bring you down to 2 completely different approaches to image production. Do you watch in the daylight, Mainly at night time surf the internet a lot, A hell of a lot!!!!! watch mainly films or regular programs, Mixtue of both although i download alot of US episodes in hd format from internet ( arrested development, joey, etc...) how much space is available and how far is your seating position from the screen. Ive got quite a bit of room, normally sat about 7/9 ft away from screen. could be more but ive only got a 32" at the mo
    /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

4. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    The RPTV gives you the bigger image, and in the right light a similar contrast range (plasmas still work better in full daylight TV watching conditions) with lovely inky blacks. It has a true 16:9 aspect ratio (useful for PC to not get stretched desktop), looks quite cool, and will have a bagfull of useful connections. However, unless you are sitting square on in terms of height and width (i.e. you aren't looking at it from an angle) you won't get the full blast. In fact just stepping 2m from the right of centre will knock the apparent contrast range by about a half. Everything gets a bit washed out and grey. Plus the box is frickin' huge.

The plasma, while not having a true 16:9 resolution nor the ability to run the PC via DVI (must be VGA or run at 720p for rescaling) will hang on the wall and not take up any space in the room. Can be viewed from something like 160deg radius without degredation, and keeps a high contrast image even in daylight (although with a few reflections off the glass).

Might I also suggest that if you have Sky TV and a seperate sound system (i.e. no need for tuner or speakers) then consider the PAnasonic 42PHD8 vs the Sammy RPTV. This plasma gives a better picture than the PV500 and is better for PC use by far.

5. pJayflynn

pJayflynn
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    sorry last comment confuses me, do you mean " plasma gives a better picture than the RPTV and is better for PC use by far

6. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    No, I mean the PHD8 gives a better picture than the PV500 and is more suited to PC use. It is Panasonic's more commercialy oriented screen and far more suitable for higher-end installs and PC work.