Noob--Sky Box Upscaling????

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by stevensred5, Sep 12, 2007.

1. stevensred5

stevensred5
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought a samsung 50"plasma, my xbox 360 looks awsome (through the component), my samsung 1080p7 dvd player looks awsome(HDMI upscaler,)BUT normal Sky looks crap (Panasonic sky-box & £20 Scart lead), is there such a thing as an upscaling HDMI Sky box, (I've seen a HDMI upscaling FreeView box £50 ish) or is such a thing just not available so as to force me into shelling out for Sky HD.

2. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    There is no such thing. You can have Sky-SD or Sky-HD. Obviously Sky-HD performs some form of upscaling for the SD programmes.

3. Blade2005

Blade2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    if u record a program from sky on DVD and play it useing a upscaler DVD player wont it look better than it did live on sky?

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

Probably not.

First you lose picture quality when sending the video via analogue scart to the DVDr and then you lose picture quality when it's re-compressed using mpeg2 for writing to the DVD then you have the DVD scaler "guess" the missing pixels to fill in the gaps as the image is enlarged and then depending upon the HD display the TV itself may do some scaling/de-interlacing.
    DVD scaling tends to look good because the DVD source is the best SD quality you can get, scaling works well when you have a good source to begin with:)

The main issue is that many digital channels (Satellite, DTT and Cable) are low res/low bitrate and even high end scaling won't rely make much practical difference compared to what you have now.

Given that you can buy a SKY+ HD online and not take out a HD subscription then that will provide the scaling you want but then again with a 50" Plasma not making use of SKY HD (BBC HD) is not making the most of the telly.
    I assume you have checked out the display in the plasma forum for setup and tweaking tips?

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,304
    Soooo many people somehow believe that "upscaling" in a DVD player or Sky box is somehow different from that thing the TV* does whereby it fills the screen and all its pixels with the image.

It isn't. Not at all. Not even slightly. Well......perhaps only in the sense of the standard to which it's done.

All pixel-based TVs (* LCD, Plasma, most RearPro types) have SCALERS built in and they upscale anything incoming that's not already an exact fit. As to whether they do it better or worse than something else does, that's down to how good each scaler is, and how well the display is set up for each signal type.