1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Noob Scaler + Plasma Question

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Trevor spencer, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Trevor spencer

Trevor spencer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    hi

im looking into getting a TH42PWD7 plasma or waiting for a PWD8 but was wondering how a scaler would benifit me

I was checking out the 04 keene catalogue today and they do an scaler in there £335.00 which up scales any video input ,, so i was wondering surley these would make older games consoles look ace on a plasmas at 480p or 720p depending what screen's used

basically all my old consoles are scart RGB and most are NTSC so the idea was get a RGB to component converter, plug the components into the scaler and then plug the scaler into the plasma via either D15 VGA or VGA to component output

would this work or is it a waste of money

also can anyone explain what the difference between 3:2 pulldown and 2:2 pulldown is on a upscaler

as the upscaler supplied by keene is only 3:2 and the one supplied by letropacks says it also does 2:2 ??

also what is the best model of scaler available at the mo

cheers

2. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +824
    Scalers are complicated things and good ones cost a lot. Keene do a wide range of scalers, and you broadly get what you pay for. Best decide first what you DON'T need it to do. People often get sucked into the idea that a scaler will take ANY video input and convert it into ANY video output. Well, that is never the case, but it doesn't stop it being ideal for you.

If you are thinking of a PWD7 or 8, then you may decide that you can do without an HD scaler and manage with a basic Vision, DVDO or Focus. Remember that most scalers do not have scart inputs, but will often support both RBG or component inputs and outputs. Best to keep it RGB / VGA all the way in your case, I would have thought.

3:2 pulldown and 2:2 pulldown relates to differerent types of film mode de-interlacing, and is nothing to do with upscaling. They are used with film mode de-interlacing, which takes advantage of the fact that the original was captured with what is effectively progressive scan recording, and only interlaced for broadcast and distribution. The process is simply reversed by the scaler for replay.

3:2 pull down is a frame rate conversion technique that outputs alternating frames 3 times and 2 times respectively. This is to increase the frame rate from 24 fps (film) to 60 fps (NTSC video), and is only used with a film source and NTSC video output.

2:2 pulldown is where alternate frames are both duplicated twice in order to bump the frame rate up from 24 fps to 48 fps (PAL video), or close enough to 50Hz, really.

The best scalers at the moment are certainly the Crystalio, the Lumagen Vision HDP, or the the new DVDO VP30. All are fantastic products, and they are the top dogs right now, but don't expect it to stay that way for very long.

The playing field is quite level, now, and I don't think anyone could tell you which one to chose. I've never seen anything better than the Crystallio; the DVDO has auto lip sync correction and a great range of output frame rates; and the Lumagen has the prospect of high definition film mode de-interlacing with a future firmware release - but let's see it first?

Nick

3. Trevor spencer

Trevor spencer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi thanks for that nick ? phew yeah they are pretty complicated ar'nt they :)

ill take a look into it to see if it benefits me as its alot of money to spend

cheers
    Trev