1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NooB requires your expert guidance!

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by hambo, Jun 25, 2005.

1. hambo

hambo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Panasonic PV500 on its way.

Don't know the first thing about them but I want to get a HTPC. Will be used primarily for DVD playing and the odd bit of web surfing. Want it to make the PV500 look as stunning as possible without overspeccing (a.k.a. over spending!). Also needs to be reasonably wife friendly.

Can anyone recommend what they would get and which software would you recommend?

Kepp up the great work on this forum!

2. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +842
    mmmmmmm....Panasonic PV500.......envy

It looks like you'll be able to plug in any PC without difficulty. If you want to watch Hi-def material, you'll need a fast PC (3gb+ CPU?), and I'd recommend an ATI Radeon based graphics card.

But for plain old DVD viewing and web searching - any modern PC will do well (anything above a 1gb CPU).

For wife friendliness, you probably can't do better than windows media center (or so I'm told).

If the PC is up to it, you might be able squeeze an ounce or two more of picture quality for DVD viewing with some extra software (ffdshow, reclock), but you may not notice a drastic improvement, and I don't feel much need myself. It kind of depends on the capabilties of the display.

3. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,077
    I agree with MikeTV - nice plasma, and with regard to what PC - the world is your oyster!

If the PC is going to be in the lounge you might want to think about fan noise, and reducing noise generally by going for quiet components. Radeon based cards are good, but a few of us on this forum like the Gigabyte Nvidia 6600GT fanless AGP cards. If you use this with the Nvidia DVD codec you get Nvidia's 'PureVideo' technology which gives very good picture quality for live tv and DVD playback. And it is silent in operation... also PC games on the plasma with 5.1 sound are very entertaining :)

I like Windows Media Center - it can be a bit fiddly to get working properly but once it is, it works well and is user friendly. Also you can get extenders for other rooms in the house if you desire. And if you like films, you will like the My Movies plug-in.

Are you going to build the PC yourself or buy one ready built? Are you going to use it for live tv and recording tv? If so what tv do you have (sky, cable, freeview, analogue?)

Last edited: May 28, 2017