1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Noob question......walls....screens

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by brightonrvf, Sep 27, 2004.

1. brightonrvf

brightonrvf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +426
    Please bear with me as i am just getting into the whole scene, i am interested in getting a large screen of sorts either a plasma or a pj, i have a nice big white wall that i could throw the image onto, bearing this in mind do i need a screen? I had a look at some of the photos of what people haqve done and the images on the screens were top notch, is this because they are on screens and therefore a uniform background?

Cheers

JM

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    You can get a surprisingly good image from a white wall, provided it's a matt white (give it three good coats of new paint to be sure), and is flat with no lumps bumps etc.

It does look better if it has a black border though. Pull-down screens can be bought quite cheaply, but they can sometimes suffer from ripples. If the image is too dim for the size you want, then a screen with gain is probably the best option. At least with the wall, you will get a good idea of what size you prefer if you want to go for a screen later.

Gary.

3. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Gary, what screen do you own? I can backup that pull down screens suffer from ripples. I have just off loaded a pull down screen and i am looking for a decent flat screen as a consequence i tried abit of D.I.Y and have bought a cheap bit of board and painted it white and the quality is surprisingly good but the next coat of paint will have to be non reflective paint as the glossy paint i used is reflecting pretty bad :(

P.S. DO NOT BUY A PLASMA!

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    Hi FlyingBig,

I made a screen using some 69mm x 18mm wood to create a frame that was 84ins wide by 47.25ins tall, then initialy I stretched some cheap blackout cloth over it. I kept this for 3 years until I changed my projector which had a lower light output, so I bought some 1.2 gain material from www.ellie.co.uk and stretched that over the frame. The cost for the BO cloth screen was £28 including staples and screws, but the 1.2 gain screen material cost a little over £100. It did the trick though. There are some pics on my home page if you're interested (see link in sig).

Beamax make some nice screens, and a couple of my friends have them. RTFM in Horsham does them if you need to see one for a demo. They're a bit more than the DIY screen though. :)

Gary.

5. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hey there..sounds good. At the moment i have bought a flat piece of board and have applied some matt white paint to it hoping it does the trick for me at all the cost of a dominos ;) 5 hours from now and ill know.
    Have to say i am eyeing up a frame screen from beamax at a cost of £380 but i am hesitant as im not 100 percent sure what a frame screen entails other than it has a frame but is the material already in the frame or do you have to put it in yourself and if so is it easy to put in minus ripples and bends in the material.

6. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Nice pics btw. Was it easy wrapping the material around the frame?