1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

noob question time

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by P3nZ, Dec 27, 2003.

1. P3nZ

P3nZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well first of all hello everybody:hiya:

And here is the question

thanks to father christmas i have been able to go out today and buy myself my first sub and a new center to go with my existing setup of a yamaha DSP-A5 a pair of B&W 601's(front) kef cresta 3's for the rears oh and a couple of floorstanding cresta 3's at the front which i alternate between with the 601's.
    the sub is a kef psw1000.2 and the center is a coda 20c.
    now this might seem like a complete jumble but it's just how it's ended up being due to cash etc and items being bought at various stages.
    so back on track my amp has a single output for a sub which i presume is a coax? yet the sub has what seem to be standard line inputs.. therefore i have used a line out on the amp marked "OUTPUT MAIN" (got a feeling this is the wrong thing to do) so now i have my sub being fed off the output main line out points.
    so what do i need to do? is there a way that i can feed the sub via the single output on the amp?

thanks for any help in advance and i feel that this may be the start of a series of questions especially when i start with cross over frequency and phase adjust / slope etc etc

cheers

ste

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Hi P3nZ and welcome.
    Stick around for a while and we will see how much of your money we can spend for you :devil:

To connect your sub you need a single phono cable of the required length (3/5/10m etc). Connect this lead to the sub out on the back of your amp and then plug the other end into the line in (either left or right, makes no difference).
    If you have the sub set to Auto then it will switch itself off when not in use. This is fine, but can on quiet scenes on a DVD or music switch off and then there is a slight delay as it switches back on. If this happens to you then either have the sub on at all times (will not do any harm) or get a phono splitter and plug this into both inputs on the sub with the lead from amp into the splitter. This increases the input signal strength slightly and will help to prevent the sub going to sleep when still required to be fully awake.

Mark.

3. P3nZ

P3nZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks mark

i have now rearranged the cable as mentioned for a single line in, just got to try it out now but since my neighbour got home early from her christmas away i may have to wait till next weekend to really turn it up:(

As for the spending of money after reading through some of the posts i am already trying to work out how i can get my daughter to spill some juice into my A5 so that i can upgrade with a little help from my insurance!!

thanks for the help and would it be an advantage to use a splitter or does it make no real difference to quality?

4. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

P3nz, take Mark at his word, the buggers did with me and now I'm skint ;) ;)

Regards
    John

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Thanks for your kind words sticker :blush:
    I do at least try to be partially honest at least part of the time, and let the poor sods know whats about to hit them :laugh:

Splitters will not improve the quality from the sub, but as I said above might help to wake the lazy git up when it goes to sleep during a quiet moment in a film. Try it without first and if you find the sub missing after quiet moments then add one to see if it helps.

Mark.

6. P3nZ

P3nZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hee hee

just got a new job so it's now time to try spending cash without the wife finding out!!!

i am sure however that the crowd on here will help me spend:clap:

7. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    You're either very brave, or very stupid :suicide:

Thats what we're here for.
    If you have any problems with you can always pass the money on to me. I will promise to find it a very good home :clown:

Mark.

8. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark, always a pleasure, especally as you are only around the corner to me ;)

Seriously P3nz,
    There is a lot of good advice on this forum and always ask the question if your not sure. From personal experience I could have made some expensive mistakes if people here hadn't advised me otherwise.

Regards
    John

9. P3nZ

P3nZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Once again thanks and mark
    both in a "it's worth a try" kind of way.

Now that i have my sub wire correct i have started to look at the other aspects of it mainly the controls on the back

frequency - is this the point at which one part of the bass cuts out and the next begins ie sub to main/sats? and if so what is the best way of setting this up to obtain optimal results?

phase control???? once again best way of setting?

slope???? how and what?

thanks for any help once again it's nice to find such a helpfull place