Noob question re Case Fans

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by Balerien, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Balerien

Balerien
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I am going to be buying one of these :

Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H GeForce 9400 Socket 775 onboard VGA DVI HDMI 7.1 channel audio mATX Motherboard - Ebuyer

And several of these :

AKASA 80mm Amber series 3 pin Ultra quiet case fan - Ebuyer

Now, I reckon I will maybe need one on the Mini Ninja, and two to three running at low speed in the case to get a nice breeze running through.

My question is that the motherboard is advertised as having 1 x CPU fan header and 1 x case fan header, so how does one power more fans? I guess some sort of splitter maybe? But then I presume it may mess up any sort of software/hardware speed control?

It's the first time I have built a machine with several fans, so never come up against it before.

Whilst I am here, has anyone used those Amber series fans? They are 1/3 the price of the Sharkoon golf balls and have great reviews.

2. conan

conan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    You can power more fans direct from Molex connectors. Good quality fans usually (not always) come with adapters for plugging into molex.

But, unless you are running a graphics card in the case I would question why you need to add so many fans. I just finished building my new HTPC around one of these motherboards. The case is very small but I just used a Sythe Shuriken CPU cooler and 1 60mm fan as exhaust and the PC is fine. It does run warm, and the heatsink on the graphics chip is hot to tthe touch, but the temps are within the guidelines and so I'll keep it running warm and quiet instead of adding more cooling (and noise).

3. Balerien

Balerien
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Aha! I have just noticed in the buyers reviews that one guy says that these do come with molex piggybackers.

Hmmmm that's useful info, thanks :smashin: Will grab three of those fans just in case, and try to get by with the Mini Ninja on passive, and maybe one or two case expellers.

I love it when a plan comes (slowly) together :thumbsup:

4. robbo100

robbo100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    I have just built a system for my father based around the Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H and I can recommend it. However, I did have problems with the onboard GPU heatsink getting very hot indeed (too hot to touch without burning myself at one point!). This was from using the Skythe Ninja heatsink on the CPU (E7400). I think the problem was, that the Ninja is so big that it almost overlaps over the top of the GPU heatsink and was restricting the airflow over the GPU.

I have installed two Sharkoon golf balls as case fans and use a fan on the ninja heatsink, but not actually to cool the CPU as this is very low even with no fan fitted at all, but more to induce airflow around the region of the GPU heatsink.

This seems to have worked.

In summary, I think the motherboard is great, but the GPU fanless heatsink is not the best performing I have seen and is easly blocked by other installations.

Robbo100