1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

noob question - please forgive

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by satvia geez3r, Oct 27, 2005.

1. satvia geez3r

satvia geez3r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there...(to whoevers reading :hiya: )

okay, im trying my best to understand this HD stuff mainly cos i'll be getting the box 360 and do a fair bit of gaming (and sky next year). Problem is I have no idea about this sort of thing, im of the scart 'n phono generation! soooo... What I wanted to know is what sort of input connections would serve me best for when I buy my next TV (which is soon) to get the best or true HD quality from the 360? (for a start the TV will def have a HDMI connection - seems the way to go)

I've read about the cables that will be available with the xbox and it says for the moment their not selling HDMI/xbox cables but you can run the HD signal via the VGA cable. Will this still give true HD quality?

Big thanks for what is probably a simple answer!

2. DanDT

DanDT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Microsoft have confirmed that the X360 will not have digital outputs so you won't have to worry about HDMI.
    As soon as it launches it will have component and VGA cables, both of which will be able to carry HD resolutions. Depending on what HDTV you get, you'll be able to connect your X360 with one of those cables (personally i'd go for component) and after you set up the settings in the dashboard, get full HD goodness. The default output for the X360 will be 480i (standard for old TVs) so you'll have to change that when you first power it up in order to enable 720p.

3. satvia geez3r

satvia geez3r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice 1 DanDT.. sounds pretty much straight forward to me. Only thing I must remember is to get a TV with component input, is it quite a common connection or do you only get 'em with the high end TV's? (or I could just check the spec sheets! ignore me :rolleyes: )

Cheers again