1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Noob Question] Are LCD screens better than PLASMA for gaming? Spending around £1300.

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Mr M0by, May 5, 2005.

1. Mr M0by

Mr M0by
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Apologies if in wrong forum, I guess this could have gone in a couple really.... Looking to spend about £1100-£1300 on a new TV but tbh i know little about all the variable connections etc. Primarily my new joy will be used for console gaming and dvd use. The plan isn't for it to be used for tv viewing, just set up in 'toy room'.:D With this in mind, am i likely to suffer 'burn-in' issues if i plan to use a Plasma for console gaming 'a lot', considering the static huds of most games?

On the LCD front I'm tempted by the Hitachi 32LD7200 which seems to be garnering favourable opinion in the LCD forum, but on the other hand I kinda want a Plasma just because I might be able to get a 37/42" for not much more. And bigger is better right? :D Okay maybe not. ;) Given that the Hitachi is my choice on the LCD front what PLASMA would 'you' recommend for a similar price? I'd appreciate it if links to 'reviews' could be highlighted too.

Thanks in advance. :smashin:

2. sdk

sdk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would get a crt at that sise for gaming but that is me.

3. Mr M0by

Mr M0by
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My head hurts. :eek: Is gaming on LCD/PLASMA screens generally less likely to cause screen degradation or something on trusty CRTs? My PSP screen seems fine. :D 'Tis a bit smaller tho.

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Your problem with LCD is response time, typically 16-20ms for a big one. This is right on the margin of playability if you are any good, which is a shame cos otherwise they would be perfect. Id suggest trying one with your console if you possibly can. A 37-42 plasma could be much the same cost, depends what other features you find necessary, separate sound and so on. The forum favourite panasonic is unlikely to have image retention problems, though it's not unknown on some other brands, so there is the plasma down side. Perhaps that's why SDK suggests a CRT! My kids do gaming on a panny 42, they have not wrecked it yet though, and all their mates are exceedingly impressed by the experience, especially the surround sound. The 37" is going for £999 at the moment, though you'll need to add the cost of a video board.